Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • RAC used car warranties
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

Anyone got experience of the above? If so, how did you get on when it came to making a warranty claim?

Worth the paper it’s written on?

higgo
    Free Member

I’ve used them twice. Actually not sure the first one (a long time ago) was RAC but it was the same sort of thing.

The first one was a car we bought that dropped a valve on the motorway within a week. It needed the whole top end of the engine rebuilt and they did it without quibble.

The second time was near the end of the warranty period and was just the windcreen wipers stopped working. I can’t remember if it was the motor or the controller but again it was done without quibble.

Both times I remember them being very clear about what was and what wasn’t covered by the policy but as long as it was on the list, it was done.

The only issue we had (with the second one) was that they didn’t have an authorised garage near me – I had a choice of getting it done at their preferred plave (about 20miles away) or getting it done at my local garage but with lots of hoops to jump through. I know the guy at my local garage quite well and he basically told me he’d prefer it if I didn’t do it through them as the claims companies are difficult to work with. The problem was made worse because the preferred garage couldn’t collect for a few days so I said I’d drive it over only to find it was raining on the day – not good with no wipers!

For me, they’ve worked out well. Last time I bought a 2nd hand car I got them to up the RAC warranty from 3 to 12 months as part of the negotiation. I would do the same again.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I know the guy at my local garage quite well and he basically told me he’d prefer it if I didn’t do it through them as the claims companies are difficult to work with.

Yes, this is a similar problem to the one I’m having. It’s only a minor electrical fault (tailgate release switch), but the main dealer wanted £73 to do a diagnostic check, which wouldn’t be covered by the warranty. Checked with RAC and, even if the check identifies a fault that is covered, they won’t pay for the diagnostic check! The guys at our local independant garage reckon they know what the fault is, as it’s a common one for the model of car – but, on past experience they won’t deal with RAC Warranty people. I’ve also heard this from another independant I use, so from you’ve said aswell, it sounds like there’s a pattern(?).

I’ll try and find out if they have an authorised garage around here though. Cheers for the feedback.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I had one on our last car. From memory, most major components are covered, but a lot of minor ones aren’t. The carrier on the drivers side window went, and that wasn’t covered (although the motor apparently is). We also had a problem with the on board electronics module thingy – erratic interior lights and aircon etc, and that wasn’t covered either. Both issues involved fair sized bills.

As mentioned above, the authorised garage issue is a pain. The window problem happened when we were on hols in Ambleside and had to drive miles to the nearest authorised garage to get it looked at, only to find it wasn’t covered by the warranty anyway.

We didn’t pay a lot for ours on top of the car, so I guess it was worth it for peace of mind if anything major went, but I would probably only bother with one again unless I was buying a car more than 5 years old.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Ah, sounds like you’ve experienced the exclusions then. Since buying the car 10 months ago we’ve had to replace the exhaust, a front suspension wishbone, two suspension drop-links, CV boot gaiter, cover plate on the differential, radiator, oh and water is getting into one of the headlights, plus the switch on tailgate – None of this lot was covered by the warranty.

TBH, a lot of it is our own (OK, ALL my wifes) fault. In a classic ‘how not to buy a car’ way, she saw the car for sale at a main dealers while we were on holiday. Before I’d had chance to have a good look over and under the car, she’d bl**dy well signed the sale agreement. I was not best pleased, but took a smidge of comfort when she mentioned it came with a ‘Platinum RAC Warranty’ (which she paid extra for 🙄 ). If we lived nearer the selling dealer, the car would have been straight back there. I guess it’s one of these ‘learnt the hard way’ life lessons, but in hindsight, I wouldn’t bother paying anything for an RAC Warranty.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve just tried to make a claim on the AA one I got with my new car last year after the car failed MOT due to leaking exhaust gasses.

Flexy-pipe bit between exhaust outlet and start of exhaust pipe has corroded. However, it’s a funny exhaust system on my car, the front section is one piece, from where it leaves the engine to just after the cat.
    Prefered repairer had a look, said he couldn’t mend the hole and that I would need a whole new front section. Said no after-market ones were available and I would need the genuine manufacturer’s part. Which is £825 as it includes the cat. And as the small hole was corrosion, not a warrenty job. I’ve not got £825. (this is more than three of my previous cars cost to purchase. Total, not each)
    Local garage have welded a patch over it, £15 and passed the MOT. Said they would be surprised if it lasted a year, but it has given me time to hunt for a new part, found s/h one for £70 and new ‘own-brand’ type for £160.

Warrenty runs out next month. Can renew for something like £25 a month. I won’t be doing that.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Local garage have welded a patch over it, £15 and passed the MOT. Said they would be surprised if it lasted a year, but it has given me time to hunt for a new part, found s/h one for £70 and new ‘own-brand’ type for £160.

Nice one 🙂

Your exhaust sounds very similar to ours – luckily ours went in the back half behind the flexi joint. Same thing with the renewal aswell, the reminder came through this morning! Looks really tempting when you read all the parts it covers, but I notice there’s no mention of their cop-out exclusions – well, fancy that eh?…pah! Like yourself, we won’t be renewing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘RAC used car warranties’ is closed to new replies.