Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • RAC another unauthorised payment!!!
  • bigad40
    Free Member

A quick rant!

Cancelled RAC cover last month because they seemed to be charging whatever they want when they want.
    2 days after I cancelled another payment goes out.
    I call them on their hold for 10 minutes while we charge you number to be told its the last direct debit wasn’t cancelled in time.
    Just received a call from the RAC saying I need to request a reverse from my bank, we can’t refund an unauthorised payment.

RAC if this was the only time it happened I may still be a member, its your poor technicians getting blanked by everyone outside shops and petrol stations I feel sorry for.

Northwind

Direct debit? Should take moments for your bank to refund you the money- this is faster than having the RAC do it

(quite a few companies don’t do it as there’s a duplication risk with manual refunds- you can send money back, then get hit with a direct debit indemnity claim too, and then you’ve got a court case on your hands.)

PS I switched to AA and am happier- RAC spanners were always good for me but their control centres were terrible. Comparison:

RAC:
    “My motorbike’s been on fire, I need a recovery”
    “We’ll send you a mechanic”
    “No, I need a recovery, the bike’s been on fire, it’s unrepairable at the roadside”
    2 hours later, a van arrives, patrolman gets out and takes one look and says “You need a recovery. I can’t tow a bike”. Cue 2 hour wait for another patrol.

AA:
    “Hi, I need a recovery, my turbocharger’s fallen to bits”
    “Oh OK, where would you like the vehicle taken”
    Man arrives, has me on two 2 minutes later, no messing about

IHN

Google ‘Direct Debit Guarantee’. Or just ring your bank.

Fwiw, they’re right, the cancellation was made to late to stop the payment. It was already in the clearing pipeline.

Del

i’ll see your unauthorised payment and raise you a charge against a cancelled credit card.
    by………

the aa.

barclaycard can somehow allow a transaction to go through against a card i had cancelled ( and had confirmed cancelled in writing ) nearly a year previously. HTF does that work!!

mogrim

barclaycard can somehow allow a transaction to go through against a card i had cancelled ( and had confirmed cancelled in writing ) nearly a year previously. HTF does that work!!

Dunno, but I’d be straight off to CRC to order a thing or two 🙂

Dickyboy

“No, I need a recovery, the bike’s been on fire, it’s unrepairable at the roadside”
    2 hours later, a van arrives, patrolman gets out and takes one look and says “You need a recovery. I can’t tow a bike”. Cue 2 hour wait for another patrol.

many years ago but had similar experience with RAC, use Greenflag these days

Del

Dunno, but I’d be straight off to CRC to order a thing or two

hmm, well sadly they could still debit from the account it was connected to, too. cheeky sods!

Speshpaul

RAC, muppets, I could tell you a long and boring story about needing a patrol man to look at a broken spring, “will he have a replacement spring and a spring compressor on the van?”
    and him turning up saying we need recovery and leaving.
    But not telling the control that.
    5 hours until the recovery contractor turned up. 40mins after they had the call. They were great.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Had the same issue I called them when I got the letter to say I was not interested, then they called again a week later and spoke to the misses who told them categorically we were not interested in renewing. Then I spoke with them again a few days later.

A few weeks later saw a deduction on the credit card bill. Called Mastercard and told them to sort out the issue as it was an unauthorised payment. Was stark raving mad at the time.

Sorted.

However, got a letter from RAC saying the credit card company has disputed and if your car breaks down etc etc blah blah.

Pissed me off …absolute muppets.

Northwind

Other ranty RAC story- motorbike broke down on a hill road in the borders, middle of nowhere. Phoned up, “I’m on the B-whatever-it-is between here and there”. What’s the postcode? I don’t think it has a postcode, there’s nothing here. Well just ask at a house. There are no houses. Well we can’t send a van unless we know where you are. You know where I am, I’m on this road that goes from here to there. Get your man to drive along it using his eyes. Nope. What about landmarks? Well there’s a busted ass Suzuki, about 3 sheep, a load of rocks and a really angry person.

By virtue of just hanging up and phoning back, I got through to someone that had set foot outside of a town centre once in his life and understood that not everywhere has a house number. On the 3rd attempt.

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve been with the RAC since last century and had now had 3 separate patrols swear as if we were talking at the pub whilst on a call out.

I hadn’t encouraged this as I’m no Angel when it comes to swearing but I work in a customer facing job and you have to be careful.

Every time they have sorted the vehicle at the roadside so I’ve no complaints there but, since I’ve had the Van I’ve had to call then twice and the patrols seem really despondent with the managers etc.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

NW – 😆

theaa
    Free Member

Hello Del, we would like to look in to this for you. Please email the details to chat@theaa.com including your full name and address with Reference FOR73668. Kind Regards. The AA

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘RAC another unauthorised payment!!!’ is closed to new replies.