Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Rabbits
  • Cougar

Looking for a bit of advice here.

Putting the bin out last night, I discovered two rabbits in the back street. They’re very young and clearly not wild, they’re tan coloured and were timid but semi-tame. I could get within a couple of yards of them before they scarpered.

A neighbour came out and asked if I knew whose they were, she’d been knocking door to door with no luck. Given some of my neighbours, it wouldn’t surprise me if they were unwanted babies they’d just tossed out into the street. There’s a colony of wild / semi-feral cats around who were taking an interest and I shooed away.

Tonight, a lad I’ve never seen before rang my doorbell with one of them in his arm, cute as a button and docile as you like (the rabbit, not the lad) asking if it was mine. He’d been walking down the back street, seen it and managed to pick it up. He hadn’t seen the other one.

I’ve just been out to bring the bin back in, and the other one appears to be hiding in my old dustbin hole (long since disused with the advent of wheelie bins, it’s basically a very very small shed). In lieu of any better ideas, I’ve chucked some old hamster food down left over from back when I had hamsters. The bunny had gone by the time I got back there with the food.

Thing is, what do I do now? Try and catch or leave alone? If I manage to catch it I’ve nowhere to put it short of locking it in the kitchen with a pile of hamster bedding. Ring RSPCA in the morning, or something else?

Cheers in advance.

somouk
    Free Member

Ring the local vets and see if they can send someone round with pet carriers to catch them and hold them?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Local FB pets lost n found page?

spooky_b329

loadsa rabbit rehome type places, especially on facebook.

Cougar

Ring the local vets

Good shout, I hadn’t thought of that.

Local FB pets lost n found page?

I strongly suspect the “owners” don’t care.

loadsa rabbit rehome type places, especially on facebook.

Gotta catch the bugger first.

geoffj

TBH, I think I’d let the feral cats deal with them. Are they any less deserving than the cute bunnies?

Cougar

Much as I love cats, they’re a bloody nuisance.

Drac

Not all wild rabbits are the traditional colour, kittens can be surprisingly friendly and don’t always run away as much as older ones.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Do you have a spear and magic helmet?
    [video]https://youtu.be/5kH0Bag0akc[/video]

Cougar

I will name him George and I will love him and hug him and pet him and squeeze him and…

perchypanther
    Free Member

George is your friend.

MrPottatoHead

Once caught someone dumping a box of bunnies down a country lane, whilst I was on a night ride a few years back. Bloke jumped in his car and scarpered before I could say anything.

Not sure I’d want the potential for any vet callout fees for a bunny though, so if I was being honest I’d do nothing.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Rabbit stew and dumplings?

funkmasterp

Keep them both Cougar, deep down everybody loves a fluffy bunny 🙂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Dress as Elmer Fudd…” Be Vewy Vewy qwuiet………” 😀

footflaps

Blue Cross will take them in and rehome them.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

RSPCA, they take rabbits and re-home

Also Pets at home work with one of the pet adoption charities

Northwind

Recreate our old admissions manager’s finest hour, and our office’s least productive day ever- catch it, stick it in your jacket pocket, then take it to work and walk around showing it to people.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

To be honest, based on cougar’s recent thread I’m surprised (pleasantly) to discover this is about animals, i was expecting a “don’t judge me but I’m somehow on the mailing list…”

CountZero

” Be Vewy Vewy qwuiet………”
    I will name him George and I will love him and hug him and pet him and squeeze him and…
    Actually ” I will love him and hug him and call him George!”
    But pedantry aside, this is all beginning to get a bit meta…

Cougar

Cougar

To be honest, based on cougar’s recent thread I’m surprised (pleasantly) to discover this is about animals, i was expecting a “don’t judge me but I’m somehow on the mailing list…”

😆

allthegear
    Free Member

Hairy Japanese bastards!

Rachel

bails

Not all wild rabbits are the traditional colour, kittens can be surprisingly friendly and don’t always run away as much as older ones.

I was riding home from work one evening, going past an animal rescue place and spotted a jet black baby rabbit shivering in the gutter of the country road I was on. I assumed it was a ‘domestic’ rabbit from the sanctuary that had escaped so scooped it up scooted the short distance to the sanctuary entrance.

The guy there said it was wild, but they’d look after it, and that wild rabbits can often be colours other than the ‘standard’ grey.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Tarte au Lapin is very nice.

alanf
    Free Member

I had the same with a couple of dumped guinea pigs I ‘found’.
    Dave and Stu have been with us for a couple of years now…

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member
    perchypanther
    Free Member

Dave and Stu

Stu is the best name ever for a rabbit.

RustySpanner

Apart from Dylan, obviously.

alanf
    Free Member

All rabbits are called Bernard, fact…

slowoldman

Have a look again tonight. See how many there are now.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    Have a look again tonight. See how many there are now.

I think you need to work harder on your understanding of time, and also rabbits.

Tonight is no good indicator of now. Unless he’s reading this tonight mind, in which case as you were.

andyl
    Free Member

We’ve ended up with two new rabbits due to this kind of thing a few weeks ago.

OH is a vet and someone brought these two in just as she was closing. The woman had seen them the day before in the local park and that day they were still there sat in the rain together in the middle of the park and she just walked up to them and caught them.

OH checked on FB and other people had posted about seeing them and taken photos of them over the course of a couple of weeks. One guy had placed them in a garden thinking that is where they had come from.

We kept them at home for a week to see if anyone came forward to the vets (local one to the area) and nothing. 3 weeks on now and they are still here so it looks like they are staying. We keep them in a dog crate/puppy pen in the kitchen at night and our existing house rabbit (boy) goes to join them and sits next to them but we are not sure if we should allow him in with them as he was rescued himself as he didnt get on with another rabbit and much prefers playing with the cats. These two get put outside during the day and are much happier out there so are getting an outside hutch delivered soon as well a larger run.

Our house rabbit is now quite spoilt and fussy with his veg but these two will devour anything we give them so quite handy for clearing out old veg and have proved to be excellent lawn mowers too.

Cougar

Update.

After the bloke came round yesterday, I didn’t see hide nor hare of the other one all night.

Then this morning, I managed to corner the other one.

He’s now at Pets At Home in Clitheroe being checked out before being put up for adoption. Six weeks old they reckon.

I’ve asked them to let me know what happens. (They asked me his name, I said “Stewie.” They’ve put him down as Peter, which is probably for the best.)

Thanks to all who replied. Well, most of you. (-:

footflaps

🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Didn’t see hide nor hare of the other one all night.

Hile, Punslinger. 🙂

Cougar

Update. Just had a ‘friendly’ conversation with its owners.

Long story short, after a conversation on Facebook I’ve just had steroid abuser boyfriend at my door making thinly veiled threats. Against my better judgement I’ve told them where it is rather than having my head kicked in. Reckon I might tip off the store tomorrow though.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Welcome to the joys of animal rescue.

Cougar

Welcome to the joys of living in East Lancs.

RustySpanner

Dear Leah.

The only rabbit I want to see is the one in your head working the controls.

Fond regards,
    Pete.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Rabbits’ is closed to new replies.