Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rabbit recipes
  • Anna-B
    Free Member

Anyone got one they recommend? So many on the internet, I don’t know where to start. Never cooked it before. Will be using a crock pot slow cooker. Thanks 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve always had it fresh, marinated in cider and garlic overnight and then bbq’d or roasted..
    Fresh though.. I tried a ‘hung’ rabbit from the butchers once and wasn’t keen at all

I don’t know if cider and garlic is traditional for rabbit, but it is yummy

creamegg
    Free Member

Mmm rabbitt, not a recipe as such but it was gorgeous when i had it recently and it included wild mushrooms, parmesan, pasta and a creamy sauce. I didn’t cook it

matt_outandabout

Red wine, lots of tatties and winter veggies. Leave on heat a long time.

Militant_biker

I’ve made quite a few things with rabbit, but me and Mrs M_B think this one is the best… http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rabbitandwalnutlingu_89304
    It’s not for a slow cooker though.

Anna-B
    Free Member

wild mushrooms, parmesan, pasta and a creamy sauce. I didn’t cook it

Had that in a pub too recently, it’s very tasty! I like the sound of rabbit and walnut one too, but want the slow cook/tender thing. cider/garlic sounds a good combination.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

The only time I’ve had it was in Crete and crispy deep fried with plenty of lemon juice, absolutely delicious.

timber

Something slow cooked so that it drops off the bones easily. Makes quite a good pasta sauce.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Old English rabbit pie.
    Rabbit, bacon, prunes, cider and any vegetable you want in a pie.

ocrider

Last one I tried, I quartered it and casserled it in red wine. Trouble was, I couldn’t shake the feeling that I was eating a cat.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve made this a few times: http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/rabbit-stew/

Absolutely delicious. If you want a thicker sauce, make a beurre manie (equal parts butter and flour mashed together) and stir it in at the end of cooking.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Thanks for ideas, I like the sound of the River Cottage one. Bacon and rabbit seems to be a winner.

jamiea
    Free Member

I’m all for cooking rabbit, all of those recipes look really good. Alas little wifey bless her can’t stand the idea of eating little bunnykins!

I’ve only ever had it in a stew, over an open fire at Scout camp after skinning and gutting it- actually scrap the rabbit, squirrel is much nicer, more like chicken but much softer in texture. Two days in the height of summer, sitting around an open fire and rigging aerial runways bridges over festering ponds and getting covered in rabbit and squirrel yip REALLY makes you stink 😆

Cheers,
    Jamie

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

rabbit stew’s cracking – don’t try and bother taking the meat off the bone, it’s very tedious. just quarter it and stick in the pot. the bacon’s important as you need the extra fat. It’s popular in Belgium, they stew it and add fruit beer, I had it Brussels once and it was delicious. Enjoy!
    #mental note, go to butchers to get rabbit…#

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rabbit recipes’ is closed to new replies.