Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Rab microlight vest – any alternatives?
  • geoffj

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’ve lost my Rab Microlight Down Vest/Gilet/Body Warmer

Before I replace like for like, is there anything similar or better for the money. Rab appears to be more common than TNF around here at the moment – even the bloody postie’s got one 😕

Like this

Technical specs:

Product Features

Weight: 310g
    Fabric: Pertex Microlight (100% Nylon)
    Insulation 750 fill power hydrophobic European goose down
    Mini stitch-through baffles stabilise position of down
    Chin guard
    Pockets:
    2 zipped hand warmer pockets
    1 zipped internal chest pocket
    Front zip with internal down filled baffle
    Lycra bound hem and armholes
    Hem drawcord
    Fit: Slim

It’s used mainly for standing at bus stops and watching the kids sledging.

What you got?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I picked one of these up in the outlet sale for £40 ….. love it and wear it most days at the moment.
    Not down filled though.

theotherjonv

I’ve just bought a Rab generator – prefer the synthetic fillings which are better when wet – paid £75 online from Needle Sports

Before that, i tried a Haglofs one off the SportPursuit flash sales website, but the family didn’t like it. Was considerably cheaper though…….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paddyanddre1978
    Free Member

Think mountain equipment do the Arete, not sure if they do it as a body warmer though??

theotherjonv

Re Sharkbait; I also had one of them (diff colour though) but it was just too small for me. Really really good quality, and i nearly stretched myself to the £110 quid to get one from the main online site. So sold it on here a week or two back, hence then trying the Haglofs, then trying the Rab.

If i had to rank, Finisterre > Rab >> Haglofs, but as I said, at £75 the Rab was a better deal.

ianfitz
    Free Member

alpkit do a similar vest now. not seen one in the flesh but their kit is usually decent

Grim
    Free Member

Have you had a look at Alpkit’s offerings? Great products at keen prices.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/filoment-vest-men-pacific-rocket

Grim

Grim
    Free Member

Beaten by ianfitz

geoffj

I’m not a fan of Alpkit clothing tbh.

ElShalimo

Patagonia version for £78
    Clicky

Patagonia’s guarantee and customer service is of the highest quality

gonefishin
    Free Member

If I can be bold here, what size are you after? I’ve got a medium barely worn RAB vest that I’mm looking to sell. I’ve lost a fair bit of weight in the last year so it doesnt’ fit any more.

geoffj

Gonefishin thanks for the offer, but I’m t’other side of Biffer from you.

That patagucci looks good though – thnx.

ElShalimo

Geoffj – I’ve had the jacket version for about 6 years. Great bit of kit

geoffj

Thanks folks. I called in Tiso on the way home and I’ve picked up a Bergans of Norway Valdres Vest.
    It’s primaloft rather than down, but should be warm enough and a bit different to the rab/TNF offerings.

annebr
    Free Member

I got one of these at the weekend
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/regatta-iceway-mens-down-gilet-p304800

£35

You can be sure to stay warm and active when the temperature drops, thanks to the lightweight Regatta Iceway Men’s Down Gilet.

It is filled with Premium duck down, which has been coated to help repel moisture and prevent clumping. A Durable Water Repellent coating has also been applied to the face fabric, which will help to shed any showers you are caught out in.

The 600 fill power ensures your core stays warm, whilst the stretch bindings and hem allows for a secure fit and maintains full freedom of movement to your arms.

The simple yet stylish design will be a superb addition to any wardrobe, being useful all year round – especially with our great, and often unpredictable, British weather.

•20D Nylon with full dull finish
    •Inner storm flap with chin guard
    •2 zipped lower pockets
    •Endurance fit, for active outdoor performance

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Bought something similar from Decathlon last week £12.95, although i think it must have been the deluxe version as it had sleeves.

geoffj

I found it! Hanging on the back of the door under a pile of other coats I’d looked through about a dozen times already.
    You can never have too many insulated gilets though 😀

ElShalimo

Result!

somafunk

What colour? and model?, may be interested if it’s what i’m after, if it’s not too much hassle could you send pics or point me to what it looks like online.

brassneck

Hmm likewise if you can tell me what size s Rab medium is.

jam-bo

Arcteryx atom lt vest. Probably my most worn outdoorsy item.

igm

Just bought one of those yesterday Jam bo

somafunk

Hmm, that arcteryx does look good……I like the idea of side stretch panels for a close/snug fit – may have to get the wallet out for that one.

andy8442
    Free Member

My Alpkit Filo is spot on. Weighs absolutely nothing and warm as toast. How is that possible?

My only gripe is the zip is a bit small.

matt_outandabout

Montane do an insulated gilet.

homer

Much prefer my finisterre primaloft to my rab down.

somafunk

I tried an alpkit filo but the sizing was rather large for a medium and the long length of the vest put me off so i sent it back – it was very well made so no complaints there but it did not fit my admittingly rather strange shape.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Rab microlight vest – any alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.