Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Rab down vest
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so I have a down jacket and love it, think it was the best purchase every (boyf bought it for me in America), I have never found anything that keeps me properly warm. However I’m toying with the idea of buying a down gilet and found the Rab Neutrino vest

http://www.climbers-shop.com/detail.aspx?id=246549&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=PriceComp&utm_term=Froogle&utm_content=None&utm_campaign=PriceComp1

what are anyone’s thoughts on them? are they useful? or not if I have a down jacket? just thinking what people thought …. cheers

Drac

I’m off to get a jacket tomorrow from here http://www.marshallleisure.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page_2

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Rab are fantastic. Top quality gear, and top quality service. I’ve had my Rab puffa for 12 years now, and it’s had a new zip put in (cost £27 inc postage), but that’s it! Warmest coat I’ve ever had. Worth every penny. I’d buy another one, but still don’t need to!

AlasdairMc

I too love Rab stuff. I have an eVent ultralight jacket and a softshell. The cut is excellent and they’re both very well made.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My wife has the rab bodywarmer and its much much better cut, finished, materials than the cheap crappy (but just as expensive NF)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m on my second Rab vest, very very impressed with the overall build quality.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve had an Alpkit Filet for two years and to be honest in this country I can’t see why I’d need a full down jacket. I’d recommend Alpkit every time. Their stuff is very well priced, superb quality and their service is excellent. On the odd occasion I’ve had a problem they’ve sorted me out very quickly. http://WWW.ALPKIT.COM
    They only have them in large at the moment but it says they should have more by the end of the month. I also have a headtorch, two rucksacks, a sleeping bag and three sleeping mats(airics). Another great wee British company, imo.

mugsys_m8

IME Rab stuff is no where near as good quality as it used to be, say 5-10 years ago. I’ve had problems with bits of kit that have fallen apart, as have lots of other people. However the ‘Rab Jacket’ is to down jackets what the hoover is to vacuum cleaners.

They have however given me deals at trade prices for various expeditions. There’s a factory shop too at their place in Alfreton

AndyPaice
    Free Member

had one since x max and it’s impressive, so light and feels pretty fragile material but seems to be doing well so far.

they also do the ‘generator’ vest with hollow fill rather than down, and it is still insulating when wet and will dry fast. The down ones are useless if they get wet.

if you’re buying for a ‘fashion’ use or just for camping sites etc then down will be best but for wearing on the bike i think the generator vest would be a better bet than the neutrino.

will
    Free Member

I have a Rab Neutrino like this

Only had it for 2 or so weeks, but i’m amazed at just how warm it is! Given all the snow recently i thought i would test it out, and tbh it was flawless!

Ow and the coolest bit, you can fold it into a small pillow by folding it into its’ pocket 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

IME Rab stuff is no where near as good quality as it used to be, say 5-10 years ago

Agreed, there’s a very noticeable difference in quality between the other half’s Rab summit which is about 5 years old and mine which is just a year old

aldo69
    Free Member

Hi i have a north face gilet had it for 18 months or so,i find it very impractical, its to big to do anything in and if its realy cold i find you need a full jacket, mine hardly got used so i gave it to daughter whos snow boarding in austria, she wears a big hoody under it. spend your hard earned on some thing else more usfull gets my vote.

pete

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’d have thought the gilet down jacket would have been more versatile than the full down jacket, guess it depends on what you want it for. I tend to wear mine after rides, in the car park etc. Although it easily packs into a very small space so ideal for emergency use if its very cold.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I just want it for after riding (I wouldn’t wear a down coat/vest for actualy riding). Been doing some adventure racing as well and it’s when you’re just hanging around waiting to start etc. I love my down coat.
    Sounds like most people are saying “go for it” I shall take a look.
    Cheers

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh just looked at the ALpkit ones, they look quite nice! Fancy the chilli one!!!

case
    Free Member

I’ve had a Rab Neutrino gilet for a couple of years and it is great. Mainly gets used for hanging around campsites/standing in cold car parks after rides. It also packs up small enough that it can be easily carried on overnight trips.

NZCol

I’ve got a Macpac down vest and also a down jacket (they were our sponsors). I use the vest a lot when its a wee bit chilly but not requiring the superthermal properties of the full jacket. It packs into its own pockets and is amazing under a jacket. Briliant thing.

trevorx
    Free Member

Another vote for Alpkit here. Had the down vest for 18 months and it gets worn loads. I just vary the sweat top underneath depending on weather.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just bought one myself. I think the gilet is more useful than a full coat – it’ would have to be bloody cold to need the sleeves, while you can just chuck the gilet on over the top of what ever else you’re wearing to top up the insulation.

Should be as useful on a cool summer evening as it is in the middle of January.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mmm looking at the Alpkit stuff only £60 what a bargain! And i’m liking the Chilli red colour! something a bit different to boring black!

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I have the Rab jacket. Whats nice about it is you can just wear a tee shirt underneath even in very cold weather – the freedom of movement and lightness is so much better than a less warm coat and a load of jumpers or fleeces.

I am considering getting the gillet as I can see good uses for that too.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

This topic has finally motivated me to re-register!

Just a quick warning about the Alpkit gilet… I ordered (a female) one and it was a really awful cut – I thought it must have been the mens but checked and it wasn’t. It was the right size round the shoulders/chest but huge on the waist and far too long, annoying really as the quality seemed very good.

Sorry to be so pessimistic!

righty
    Free Member

Rab puffa

🙄

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh Alpine Girl maybe I’ll have to look at Rab instead!!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’d drop Alpkit a line to ask when their stuff is coming and check on their refund policy. I don’t think you’d have any problem sending it back if you don’t like the fit. I remember using their sizing guide when I ordered mine it I think it was very accurate.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“I’d drop Alpkit a line to ask when their stuff is coming and”

end of feb for the fillet IIRC, but not sure if that is mens only or both

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mmmm I like the colours on the Alpkit stuff! I e-mailed them today and they said mid Feb and I’m in a list they’ll e-mail me, you can return it too. I tried on NF down vest before and the women’s kit is an odd cut. If not then I can return to original thoughts of Rab Neutrino vest.

willyboy
    Free Member

my mrs has just bought the alpkit down jacket and its really nice/ great fit. I’m guessing alpine girl is a strange shape 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m guessing alpine girl is a strange shape

It was the right size round the shoulders/chest but huge on the waist and far too long

short with big tits? Sounds fine to me…. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Willyboy what size/shape is your Mrs? Think I’ll order one and have a look, their returns policy looks good and I can always revert to plan A, the RAB one.

willyboy
    Free Member

My mrs is five two/ size 8/10. Alpkit were really good on the phone, they had no stock on the website, but my mrs phoned up and found they had just had a jacket returned (wrong size) so she got that one. I think she got the smallest ladies size available. Annoyingly its much nicer than my down jacket. It has a slight drop tail + quite long body and a really good hood.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Cool I’m 5ft 4 and a size 10! Think I’ll be going for that Chilli one when they get their new order in mid Feb! Thanks guys

Elsa
    Free Member

I have a rab down neutrino vest and think its great. I wear it all the time! I also have a rab down jacket and when its really really cold wear both at the same time! The neutrino vets comes up slightly bigger in size than the down jacket.

aP
    Free Member

The RAB production has all moved to China now hasn’t it?
    I bought a PHD gilet 2 years ago and although not as “puffed up” as the rab ones has been pretty good value – I wear it loads and it seems to be surviving, and at the beginning of the year got a paramo gilet as a less moisture affected top – not as warm but handy for when you get cold and need a boost.

Elsa
    Free Member

yeah, rab defintitely not as good quality as they used to be!! I’d still buy their stuff at the moment

mostlyharmless
    Free Member

+1 for Rab. The down pullover was the first thing I ever bought on ebay and it was fantastic.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Rab down vest’ is closed to new replies.