Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • R4 Women's Hour.
  • alpin
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s worth a listen, but the amount of naval gazing and wishy washy man blaming that goes on at times is bordering on pathetic.

maccruiskeen

They call it ‘Women’s Hour’ but its only 58 minutes long

nickhit3
    Free Member

dat hornets nest

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Was Lily Allen on?

martinhutch

naval gazing

Klunk
    Free Member

should rename it Senior BBC Woman women’s hour.

nickhit3
    Free Member

nail. head.

Also, if you’re looking for Bonus unsanctioned WH content, have a listen to Emma Barnett on 5live. Often a rich seam of oestrogen fuelled turbo nattering. With cricket.

Richie_B

After the first ten years or so of listening you learn to zone out during the dross and tune into the interesting bits (which is true of Radio 4 in general).

I guess if you look at your life hard enough anyone can find a reason why they are a victim. Unfortunately the programme tends to drown serious issues in among minor irritations.

user-removed
    Free Member

I usually really enjoy it but always feel like an interloper when I listen to it 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t mind listening to feminists, but what annoys me somewhat is the fact that the other half of the show is about cooking. Not general lifestyle content, but specifically cooking.

finbar
    Free Member

I usually listen in when I’m at home of a morning, but more often than not there seems to be at least one item that must be pastiche/satire – invariably covering menstruation and/or the menopause, and callers moaning about their husbands never doing any washing up or ironing.

sweepy
    Free Member

They do say a womans work is never done

boblo
    Free Member

moaning about their husbands never doing any washing up or ironing.

Hang on a cotton picking minute, what is this ironing you speak of?

nickhit3
    Free Member

amazing. loving your work.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Always good to get illuminating, intelligent male commentary about women’s issues.

Shame there’s no emoji available for a sneer, eh?

finbar
    Free Member

Always good to get illuminating, intelligent male commentary about women’s issues.

Shame there’s no emoji available for a sneer, eh?

Go on, I’ll bite – what’s your opinion of Women’s Hour?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well I’ve just been listening to an interesting interview with a female playwright who’s written a play about Boudicca. A notable female leader responsible for making lots of Roman men crap their pants. If they had any, instead of the cute little skirts they used to wear.

alpin
    Free Member

“and how do you cope night in night out with the whipping and rape of your daughters? I know obviously it’s not real whipping and raping, but still…..”

jimjam
    Free Member

The whole concept of “Women’s Hour” seems like a concept cooked up by white middle class men in order to perpetuate gender stereotypes and subjugate women while they function as slaves to the patriarchy blind to the walls of their own prisons.

What is a woman if not a man born without a penis, brainwashed into believing they are female (as if that’s a thing) suppressing their biological potential to become as big and strong as men, tricked by hormones in water and plastics into growing “sexual” appendages and ultimately being “consensually” violated and impregnated by men to restart the whole cycle over again. It’s racism! 👿 👿

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Shame, eh?

finbar
    Free Member

Excellent – wish I wasn’t in the office today and could listen in.

I should try and justify my comment above. If anyone of any gender wanted to comment on (for example) how Robert Crampton’s “Beta Male” column in the Times is always the same old tired rehash of male inadequacy and emotional illiteracy issues, that would be fine by me. I wouldn’t choose to interpret their comments as meaning they are criticising men’s right to talk about gender-specific issues on any platform.

I just think Women’s Hour tends (in my unqualified opinion), often, to be stuck in a previous decade. Much like R4’s Food Programme. I really enjoyed their recent programmes on the food culture of Georgia, but for the most part, it’s like some awful 90s magazine show that completely fails to acknowledge all the interesting things that have happened in journalism and the food and drink sector in the past few decades.

kelvin

Women’s Hour is of interest to everyone 80% of the time, and women only the other 20% of the time. Given the remit and name of the programme, as a man, I see no reason at all to complain about the 20%. In fact, I find it odd that anyone would. Still, that “Men & Motors” TV channel was utter shite… and “Women’s Own” never seems to have anything at all of value in it for me, or I expect most men… so gender specific titles can result in something worth ignoring.

GrahamS

Men get 23 hours of radio.

Women get an hour (or 58 minutes).

Non-binary get zero.

#checkyourprivilege 😉

birky
    Free Member

And maybe that’s why they get paid less (© Sean Lock)

jekkyl

Yeh they moan about doing all the housework yet are mega proud of the cakes and meals they make for everyone?! What’s all that about…

BigJohn

Woman’s Hour seems to me to be a “Celebration of Mediocrity”.

Rather patronising and seems to praise achievements that would be unremarkable for a bloke. Or maybe that’s the point.

Well I’ve just been listening to an interesting interview with a female playwright who’s written a play about Boudicca

Was it about the difficulties of having to balance being an (ultimately) un-successful tribal war leader and heroine of the late Victorian empire with the demands of being a wife, mother and home maker?

Nico
    Free Member

After the first ten years or so of listening you learn to zone out during the dross and tune into the interesting bits (which is true of life in general).

ftfy

GrahamS

After the first ten years or so of listening you learn to zone out during the dross and tune into the interesting bits (which is true of l[b]w[/b]ife in general).

FTFTFY 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Men get 23 hours of radio.

Where is this exclusively male focused content you speak of?

#sjwignorance

fanatic278
    Free Member

I credit Woman’s Hour to a noticeable change in my view of female empowerment. As the father of two girls (and a boy) it has made me a better parent.

GrahamS

Where is this exclusively male focused content you speak of?

Literally all the other content of R4 discussing news, current affairs, politics, science, art, philosophy, comedy etc that women can’t possibly understand?

That’s why they get their own hour to discuss kittens and knitting. No?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I Like It, a lot.

R4 Women’s Hour is a really great programme, plenty of natter, subjects tailored to Women for Women and commentary thats always a pleasure to listen to. One of my favourite programmes on the Radio TBH.

If the programmes subject matter doesn’t light your Male Rocket Fuse then turn over to R6 or R5x or some such other suitable output.

But I can’t see why it should be bashed, certainly not with the Male Stick.

I think there ought to be more programmes like it for Women, more Womens specific output, more Religious programming and more programmes tailored to Children too..

BBC Radio IMO is too Male orientated.

MrsToast
    Free Member

You listen to radio? How adorably quaint!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s great and should be encouraged like lots of single sex forums and clubs: radio; social; sport etc

Fortunately you still get ladies only golf clubs etc very healthy

GrahamS

What do you have in your kitchen?

bikebouy
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    You listen to radio? How adorably quaint!
    What do you have in your kitchen?

Mr Toast is my guess.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

And a toaster

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘R4 Women's Hour.’ is closed to new replies.