Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Quote for bay window double glazing – ok or rip off?
  • craig_w
    Free Member

Hey,

Just had a quote from a company that is looking to expand into the area. My old wooden windows are on their way out but I don’t really need or want to get them done right now. However if this price is good then I’m tempted. The window is a very large bay in 3 sections. It’s got 2 frames in each of the sides and 6 in the front, so 10 in total. It’s the lower of 2 bays so is structural. The quote was £2500 with A rated windows.

Oh and there is leading on each of the 5 top windows.

Thoughts?

Craig

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

“looking to expand in the area” – classic sales pitch.

What sort of window? UPVC? Softwood? Hardwood? Sash? how many opening parts?

craig_w
    Free Member

Uvpc white, openings on each of the 2 side windows, so 4 in total. Pilkinton k care glass.

craig_w
    Free Member

These are the guys:

http://www.amberwindows.net/Products/Windows

They seem kosha and all made in uk.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

expensive for upvc to me but I ain’t sure – I paid less than that for nice heritage replica sash and case wood frames

Cougar

Bay windows are really expensive; As you say, they’re counted as a number of separate windows. Two and a half grand seems high to me though.

therag
    Free Member

Never, ever, ever buy off a company that aproches you!

White Upvc window with 1 opener £170-£350 each
    X 3 to make bay
    + 20-30% for brown Upvc.
    Lead + £30-£50 per pain

Get 3 quotes from recommended local fitters who are fensa registered

No such thing as sales or bogof or free fitting they are all made to measure. 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

What exactly does “A” rated mean?

john_drummer
    Free Member

seems reasonable to me if that’s a fitted price including VAT.

we had a bay window & two “plain” windows done in 1998 & that came to £2k then.
    The more opening vents (top hinged) and/or sashes (side hinged) you have, the more it’ll cost. Leading adds to the price too.

craig_w
    Free Member

Yeah that includes fitting and vat. I’m going to get a 2nd quote, but I think I found a rough guide that said 250-300 per frame. So with the fitting, lead etc it seems to stack up.

craig_w
    Free Member

Forgive the company, but the A rating is just like they have on fridges etc

http://www.everest.co.uk/double-glazing-windows/energy-efficient/

It’s all to do with how energy efficient the assembly is.

therag
    Free Member

That price I gave is including fitting & vat.
    Some of the best lines-
    This price only lasts today
    This price is to get us established in your area
    We will use a pic of your house in our displayes = huuuuge discount lol

TooTall
    Free Member

Find a small local company who are FENSA registered and ask them to give you a price. I had a job done in High Wycombe a few years back and the price difference when you find a company who don’t employ salesmen is dramatic.

Drac

Seems a tad expensive to me but it’s been about 14 years since we had ours done, cost about £1200 for a bay and 5 other windows.

ebygomm
    Free Member

i’d get some other quotes they can vary massively. our quote for double glazed patio doors ranged from £900 to £1800

donsimon
    Free Member

Forgive the company, but the A rating is just like they have on fridges etc

http://www.everest.co.uk/double-glazing-windows/energy-efficient/

It’s all to do with how energy efficient the assembly is.
    The thing is I can’t see how they arrive at being the most energy efficient. The Everest page shows a window that has a u-value of 1,3W/M2K, which isn’t that good really, not too bad, but not too good either.
    How much of an improvement is it going to be over your current windows? Could you achieve the results you want by spending your money on something else?

craig_w
    Free Member

Oh, from a pure energy saving per pound dg isn’t the best. Insulation is good and reducing drafts is also a simple one. I live on a main road so the noise reduction and improved sales potential for the house is the main motivation.

craig_w
    Free Member
    donsimon
    Free Member

I live on a main road so the noise reduction and improved sales potential for the house is the main motivation.

If it’s for resale then it’s all hunky dory. If it was for reducing your bills you could do a lot worse than having a read of these.
    http://www.yourhome.gov.au/technical/fs44.html Just remember it’s Australian when they talk about north and south. 😆
    And this, http://gaia.lbl.gov/btech/papers/51913.pdf.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

improved sales potential for the house is the main motivation.

upvc reduces values in many cases.

user-removed
    Free Member

Reported…

tony24
    Free Member

So the bay is 10 parts in all will need heavy duty re-inforcing in all parts, bay poles in each corner, bay jacks , a welded cill with re-inforcing then leaded units on top if you look at average of 170 a frame for that then the fitting cost which will be minimum 300 for 2 men thats £2000 atleast without all the trim mastic etc ….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve just had a window in my garage replaced, probably three foot by six foot, maybe bigger, and that was all done for £400.

br
    Free Member

Ensure that whoever does it supports whatever is above it while the old window is out…

psling
    Free Member

My twopennyworth:

If the bay is 3-facet then unless it’s huge the ’10 windows’ bit is probably for costing and not actual number of frames.
    If the existing frames are timber they will be more structural than pvc. It is very unlikely that the metal reinforcing in pvc windows goes into the corners/joints because the pvc is welded at the joints; the reinforcing in pvc is to keep the pvc straight, it’s not loadbearing as such. Same applies for welded pvc cills.
    You’ll need to establish the loadbearing parts of the existing bay. If it’s the corner posts then as Tony24 says you’ll need structural poles and jacks – these need to pass through a pvc cill to the structure. Equally, they may need to support a structural head beam.
    Quite a number of large bays have the load carried on floor beams that cantilever into the bay which can make it easier to replace the windows as long as the structure is sound.
    I would ask any company for examples of large bays that they have done over the last few years and go have a look/ chat with the occupants.
    (as an ex surveyor I have seen a lot of replacement bays sold as loadbearing which either they haven’t been or the load hasn’t been properly supported during installation)

user-removed
    Free Member

Errr – this is a five month old thread guys. I reported a spammer selling double glazing on it last night. ^^^

voodoo_chile

Place i have used do a bay with openers on them for about 600

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Quote for bay window double glazing – ok or rip off?’ is closed to new replies.