Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Quorn Pepper 'Steak'
  • psychle
    Free Member

Not too shabby… not a patch on a real juicy steak, but certainly edible… mmmm, mycoprotein 😀

haddock
    Free Member

er,… do they still make them using eggs from caged hens? sorry, but they always used to, thats why I stopped eating the stuff myself. 😕

JoeBones
    Free Member

EEEEwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwWW!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vegetables are lovely. If you have to be a vegetablist, eat vegetables.

Otherwise, be a human being, you know, Homo Sapiens, and be an omnivore. Eat a healthy diet, including yummy REAL meat.

psychle
    Free Member

do they still make them using eggs from caged hens?

says 'free range egg white' in the ingredients?

myoprotein is a vegetable ain't it? fungus is a vegetable of sorts isn't it? I'm no veggie though, I enjoy tasty tasty meat 😀

haddock
    Free Member

Ah, good they must have changed it! Hope I didn't cause you to rumage in the bin for the packaging! 😀

psychle
    Free Member

nope, 'twas sitting on the bench still (I'm a messy bugger 😀 )

haddock
    Free Member

I feel no guilt then! 😆

sc-xc

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Vegetables are lovely. If you have to be a vegetablist, eat vegetables.

Otherwise, be a human being, you know, Homo Sapiens, and be an omnivore. Eat a healthy diet, including yummy REAL meat.

Or, don't feel like you need to comment on other people's diet. Every time a thread mentioning vegetarianism appears it happens. I would never dream of telling a meat eater not to eat meat, so why do so many here need to make their petty point?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mainly because so many vegetarians feel the need to go on at those of us with a proper diet!

Someone on here put it rather well the other day (I forget who, so I apologise.)

I paraphrase;

"When we cook for vegetarians, we give them a vegetarian meal. When we eat at theirs? "

Humans are omnivorous, that is an evolutionary fact. Being vegetarian is a faddish, attention seeking load of tosh. Being properly vegan? Now that I respect. I disagree with it, but respect it as a choice.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

ah, but flashy… omnivores generally prepare, cook and eat vegetables as part of their own diet anyway.
    veg*ans don't do the same with meat, so to be fair, although i understand the (albeit flawed!) logic behind your paraphrasing, it's not quite the same thing is it?

sc-xc

Being vegetarian is a faddish, attention seeking load of tosh.

You have just proved my point.

Smee
    Free Member

If we aren't meant to eat animals why the hell are they made of meat?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

xherbivorex, that is indeed a good point, I will agree!

However, they could simply wear gloves.

😉

sc-xc

I will happily cook and prepare meat, my family eat enough of it. I have never pushed the fact that I am

faddish

on to anyone – the only time it ever comes up (in real life as well) it is meat eaters telling me pretty much what is said up there. Does it really matter so much to you what others eat?

RichPenny
    Free Member

CaptainFlashhart is a faddish, attention seeking load of tosh.

Corrected your quote mate, HTH.

🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆 Very good indeed!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well done.
    never ever seen that before…

aracer
    Free Member

omnivores generally prepare, cook and eat vegetables as part of their own diet anyway.

They tend to prepare them to go with meat – how many veggies would actually be happy to be served the same meal the omnivores are eating just without the meat?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well i'm sure i'm far from being the only veg*an who has actually had that happen to them before… no, i wasn't happy about it but i just dealt with it because i'm not a dick.

haddock
    Free Member

Psychle – your thread has convinced me to try one! 🙂 mind you theres not much I wouldn't eat.

aracer
    Free Member

So you wouldn't be happy about having a meal at a friend's if they didn't make extra effort to accommodate your diet? In which case CFH's point stands.

FWIW I agree it is pretty inconsiderate to serve you such a meal (and despite being an omnivore I've nothing against eating veggie meals – went a month eating mostly veggie once just to see, though I wouldn't eat a Quorn burger).

AlasdairMc

They tend to prepare them to go with meat

Bollocks. What about meals where the meat is only a small part of the whole meal, like a McDonalds' hamburger? 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

Psychle – your thread has convinced me to try one!

Excellent, that'll have my guerilla marketing cheque coming in from Quorn next month then 😉

kinda666
    Free Member

Bollocks. What about meals where the meat is only a small part of the whole meal, like a McDonalds' hamburger?

My stepson had a quarterpounder with cheese with 50% more meat than usual! There was a fly in his bun! 🙁

xherbivorex
    Free Member

aracer – Member

So you wouldn't be happy about having a meal at a friend's if they didn't make extra effort to accommodate your diet? In which case CFH's point stands.

well no i wouldn't, but i certainly wouldn't make a fuss about it if it happened. which, speaking purely from my own point of view, it wouldn't as most of my close friends are vegetarians or vegans themselves and the ones who are omnivores don't eat a great deal of meat themselves, being quite happy to eat vegetarian dishes regularly anyway.

but back on topic, quorn is pretty scary stuff. even if it didn't contain egg, i'd avoid it.

psychle
    Free Member

quorn is pretty scary stuff

scary? how so?

grumm
    Free Member

God there are some childish attitudes out there. Also why do people seem to feel it is some sort of right to eat meat as part of every single meal.

AndyP
    Free Member

myoprotein is a vegetable ain't it? fungus is a vegetable of sorts isn't it
    no, it's not.

Quorn rocks however.

psychle
    Free Member

well… it's a plant material anyway 😀

though, having a quick google it seems this is unclear as well! So let's just say it's not animal based eh? 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

scary? how so?

Well, it's basically athelete's foot in a nice box. If you want to lightly fry that and stick it on your plate, don't let me stop you 🙂

AndyP
    Free Member

well… it's a plant material anyway
    no, it's a fungus. That's not a plant…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Athletes foot you say? So it is a meat product.

Actually, I'm amazed that there are enough athletes happy to donate their feet for consumption by the masses

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I was told it was just a teenage fad I was going through. 14 years later it seems more appropriate than ever for me to be a vegan.

Simples.

Funny thing I have noticed a lot recently

A few omnivores seem to jump onto threads about vegan/veggie food and state the case for eating meat. Or ask questions about why people do it, and then accuse people who answer them of aggressively trying to convert them.

It seems like they always feel the need to convince everyone their omnivorous lifestyle choice is the right, and only, one.

This was a thread about some processed veggiefoods stuff started by a meat eating person who thought it was tasty. Not about the ethics of a plant base diet.

So why did it have to turn into a witch-hunt against those with different views. I don't understand why people have such a problem with others who feel that veganism is the right path for them to follow.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

My understanding is that quorn is some slime found in a field, that is grown in a lab.

A long way from the physical resemblance to a mushroom. But as I think mushrooms are one of the tastiest things on earth, I wouldnt write quorn off due to it being inferior to something that good.

however, bear in mind, that a lot of people are actually allergic to quorn, or at least,something in the finished articles, and there has been pressure put on the manfacturers to disclose the full contents and information about it. They deny an issue, but a quick google suggests otherwise.

I just dont understand, why any discussion about food, rapidly decends into childish farce from grossly over defensive meat eaters, who behave as if a steak was on a part with finding "the one ring".

I dont eat meat myself, as a kid I was fussy, and didnt like offal like kidneys or liver, or other cheap cuts. Cheap burgers and sausages were awful in the 70's, as a student I would rarely afford decent meat, and after a while, gave up and really never went back. Back bacon was expensive,and middle and streaky were too fatty for me to find palatable.

I dont have anything other than the general ill ease when thinking about abbatoirs, slaughterhouses, the huge processing factories, but it all seems so unnessary to eat, frankly, so much meat.

I mean, picking up a packet of haribo, I look at the ingerdients and think ktf? why is there pork gelatine in kids sweets? They may appear to be yummy, but if we all gave in to what pleased us, Id drive at 100mph everywhere becasue its fun!

When you first turn veggie, esp when I did in the 80, I literally had a St PAul on the road to Damascus thing, that after an hour in a huge new superstore built on theoutskirts of Reading, having virtually nothing in my basket, I realised I was going to have to have a rethink about my lifestyle. There were meat products in everyhting, almost everyhting…. I realised even then that we wouldnt have decended to "meat at every meal", which is probably why Iwas a touch overweight anyway.

I went veggie, and actually feel much better for it. I lost weight, which brought other benefits.

Feel free to eat meat, its a free world. But there are important reasons why becoming a veggie is no bad thing. All the childish responses of "yum yum its so good" only relate to quality products we get in the west here. Besides, you would say that, youve had 30-40 years of expensive marketing to get used to it being "yum" and its what your used to from an early age. Some from less rich diets would find it impossibly cloying. In much the same way sushi would turn my stomach, but Mr Japanese person clearly loves it.

Eat what you like, but do so responsibly. Why the meat argument makes people as defensive as x box vs ps3 fanboy arguments (or Orange 5 owners!) amazes me. Its like no one else is allowed an opinion.

Btw, I ride an Orange.

🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I suspect it's more to do with taking the mickey out of fussy eaters rather than anything else.

nostoc
    Free Member

dog steak? fried cat? worm burgers anyone?
    bloody fussy eaters

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yep, I would eat all of those.

Carpaccio as well!

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well I've had dog before but never cat or worms. If offered there's a good chance that I'd try them though.

As for Quorn "steak", the thing that annoys me about some vegetarian food is when it, as in this case,pretends to be meat. All this does is to reinforce the notion that you need meat with a meal. Veggie food is great, it doesn't need to pretend that it's meat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Quorn Pepper 'Steak'’ is closed to new replies.