Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Quitting my job
  • noltae
    Free Member

Go out swinging – your ego is an integral aspect of your health – All the cliches apply – life is way too short – freedom or death … When the dust settles you’ll be stronger … Telling the government you suffer from stress isn’t going to help you …

allthegear
    Free Member

With regard to the filter, the frequency of changing almost certainly will be covered by a Standard Operating procedure detailing how and when it must be replaced. Your company WILL need these to meet its Good Manufacturing Process standard as required by the MHRA.

All batches of product will not only need a QC check but also need to be signed off by the Qualified Person, a member of staff who is legally responsible for the batch. It’s a massively responsible position and, if someone is not following the SOPs, WILL want to know about it, believe me!

The company’s very existence depends on following these standards – if you’re manager is trying to circumvent them, they will not be there long…

Rachel (13 years in Pharma)

edit – your case might come under “medical device” laws rather than pharma which is a little more lax but still has a lot of the above

slowoldgit
    Free Member

In case it helps: I was signed off for a month with stress after a dodgy contract went adrift. It was nothing to do with me really, except that I was piggy in the middle. I gained an impression that this caught the attention of others way higher up the pyramid. Nothing more was said.

ninfan
    Free Member

Occurs to me that the filter issue could be really useful

Had you made an issue of it internally/reported it to anyone before this manager started the poor performance action?

Union rep might want to start mentioning whistleblower protection legislation…

Denis99
    Free Member

Ref the filter issue.

I’m the filter expert on site. I amended the current SOP in light of the filter supplier saying that the filter will lose it effectiveness after one use.

I suggested in the draft SOP that the filter just be used once and then transferred to a less critical use.

This will cause some issues with the cost of goods and managing a new supply of filters for each separate batch.

the plant manager could see the production implications and asked me if we had any issues in final product testing related to filter effectiveness.

I said, not to my knowledge, which is true.

But I pointed out that it was not good practice and we are going against the filter supplier recommended usage for this particular application.

He said, well we haven,t had any failures. I said that the sample size was too small to draw any conclusions.

That was last Friday afternoon.

The meeting finished and I was handed the letter.

The filter issue is quoted in my poor performance .

The SOP will probably be amended by someone to his wishes without them understanding the implications….

ninfan
    Free Member

Oof! Golden stuff, poor performance process being used to silence for you speaking out on potential safety issues.

you definitley need to discuss that aspect with the union, and more than likely their solicitor too, you need to take their advice on whether and when to take it to the regulator.

ACAS do loads of stuff on whistleblowers

Denis99
    Free Member

Only one other witness in the room whilst this took place.

Might not be able to count on him.

He used to work for him in their previous jobs.

However, if he goes ahead and changes the SOP, from my draft, then that,lol be different

Easy for me to find out, I, ve worked there for 12 years.

dpfr

If all this only happened on Friday, write down a note of the meeting while it is still fresh in your mind. These things still have value even if you don’t have an independent witness.

If you can be bothered, email the plant manager saying what your advice was and why, and that you understand that he proposes to disregard it. Ask him to tell you if your understanding is not correct. That forces him either to respond or to acknowledge your account is correct, and creates a record of the discussion.

Denis99
    Free Member

The three of us who have had the same letter are meeting today to discuss how we handle this.

Meanwhile, I have signed up at the local gym, had my first visit and intend to get healthier in body and mind.

Whatever the work situation – I will be changing my lifestyle.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Denis99, I’d think about getting out.

I know it will feel good to stick it to the boss over the filter thing, and you don’t want to feel like they’ve pushed you out of your job (i.e. won), but if you’re stressed and ill, you don’t need the hassle of it all.

Take your month or so off and get well, then look for another job, and move on. Work towards your future, instead of the future of a company you don’t want to work for.

If you still want to push the filter issue, put the info in your notice email and copy in everyone (reps, managers, directors, suppliers…. everyone!). You cant do more than that, so if they still want to ignore your good, professional advice, f@*k em, it wont be your problem anymore…

Just my advice, but hope you get sorted either way.

Denis99
    Free Member

cheers.

I’m prepared to just hand my notice in.

But I will return after one month and see what actually happens.

Haven’t been able to switch off when I was in work.

Came home and fell asleep in my chair for a good 30 to 40 minutes each evening.

Used to enjoy reading, but couldn’t concentrate. Looking forward to forgetting the work issues.

Started reading Zero History by William Gibson.

martinhutch

Meanwhile, I have signed up at the local gym, had my first visit and intend to get healthier in body and mind.

Good bloke. Mentally treat looking for something new as your major focus, and working towards a satisfactory settlement at work as a bit of a sideline.

IMO, you may well have the upper hand in this situation. Worst case, you leave and find something new on your terms, which you’d probably do anyway. Best case, you get a decent settlement to do exactly the same thing and use the misbehaviour of your bosses to pass all that stress onto them.

Stay well.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Good man 🙂

As an aside, I’m reading ‘The Peripheral’ right now, Gibson’s latest.

Rorschach
    Free Member

And……I’ve just quit. Life’s too short.

Denis99
    Free Member

Rorschach

I admire your courage.

It’s a little different for me , although it might end up just the same outcome.

Met with my two other friends in the same situation this evening. It seems like we are to a greater or lesser extent, passengers in this process now.

I,ve never been out of work since leaving school, I,m 60 next month!

The thread will likely go quiet from me now, the other two have their interviews this Friday, mine will be when I return to work.

Thanks for all the replies and support , affirms my believe in ordinary folk, cyclists are a good bunch. Hoping to get fit and healthy enough to return to my playground called Afan soon.

mountainman

Don’t post very often ,but read your post n speaking from experience in my work history same as many on here QUIT.
    But also report the safety breach.

I have just quit a bakery i worked in because the boss was a bully out n out, women are the worst ,as in this case too.

Gone with another company part time ,less money but much better work life balance n far happier.

Denis99
    Free Member

Resurrecting the original post, just to thank everyone for their comments and advice.

Returned to work on Monday of this week, my boss had basically offered me a supporting role , working for my current job position.

Sheer coincidence has seen me injure my left tibia in the gym, ironic , but I can hardly walk now. Been to the doctors and had a x Ray also.

I’m sure it will be ok after resting etc, but as a result I’m not in work again.

This is not like me at. All.

However, seeing that I have a better state of mind and lower stress, as a result of beginning to get body and mind better, I am going to hand my notice in on Monday.

Going back , even for the short term, is just not an option for me now.

I would prefer to get the people who have contributed to the work stress situation out of my life.

Haven’t got any job to go to, turn 60 at the end of the month.

Will resume the gym when fit enough, have bought a bike again, will spend time getting body and mind healthy.

Will probably look for a lower paid job, less stress and be happy with a new work life balance , probably in 6 months time or so.

Doh1Nut

Good Luck 🙂

p.s. If I was a customer and my supplier was delivering potentially defective products because it was using its production equipment inappropriately against manufacturers instructions I would be grateful to know about it.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Quitting my job’ is closed to new replies.