Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Quiet road and gravel/gnarmac routes from Aviemore
  • Creg

Hi folks

I’m planning a trip to Aviemore with a bike in June for 5 days (arriving Mon evening, leaving Fri morning).

From what I gather theres a few people on here from that area/regular riders in that area.

I’m taking my gravel/adventure/marketing bollox bike with me and looking to do a tour over a few days on some quiet roads/tracks and bridleways/easy routes. I’ll be taking a small camera too and hoping to get some good landscape shots while I’m up there. Will be wildcamping hopefully or regular camping if there is a site nearby.

Looking to camp/hostel the first night in Aviemore then set off on the Tuesday and arrive back in Aviemore on Thursday night or somewhere nearby so I can get into Aviemore for the train at 8am.

Anyone know of any routes or have any recommendations for routes I could do in that time?

Thanks in advance.

househusband

Have just alerted local authorities (scroteroutes) so hopefully he’ll be along soon..!

epicyclo

There’s loads.

You need to talk to Scotroutes (not Scroteroutes 🙂 ).

sweepy
    Free Member

not Scroteroutes

Yes but its too late now isn’t it, He’s said it and now it’s stuck in my mind forever 🙂

Creg

(scroteroutes)

😆

Thanks guys 🙂

scotroutes

Just for that, I’m not replying to this thread…

Creg

Sorry I meant thanks guys for alerting you to this thread, not thanks for the comedy name change.

scotroutes

OK. With that duration, I’d suggest the following as a loop (there are various other tracks that could be added).

Head out of Aviemore to Lynwilg and climb the Burma Road. Take the descent down to the river along to Sluggan Bridge and climb back up the minor road from there. Head to Carrbridge. Tracks through the woods will get you to Boat of Garten where you can pick up the Speyside Way. Follow that to Loch Garten and then Nethy Bridge. Head to Forest Lodge, then all the way round to Ryvoan Bothy and down to Lochan Uaine. Glenmore, round the back of Loch Morlich, to Loch an Eilean (possible detour in/out Glen Eaniach) then pick up NCN7 south to Feshie Bridge. You could do a bit of a loop in this area before returning via Loch Insh and the Speyside Way from Kincraig back to Aviemore.

All of this would be suitable for a loaded “gravel” bike.

If you want help figuring it out, or added bits and bobs depending on your fitness, let me know and I’ll put together a GPX file.

Creg

Wow Scotroutes that sounds like an amazing route. I’m going to do some googling for some of the locations (just so I’ve got an idea of where I’m going visually) and then get back to you re: GPX file if thats ok?

Really appreciate your help with this 🙂

scotroutes

Yeah, no problem. If there’s stuff you’re particularly interested in (forests, land features etc) let me know and I can advise accordingly.

Creg

Hi folks

Just bumping this with a quick question for those of you that know the Aviemore/Cairngorm area.

Turns out I’ve messed up when booking my tickets and have ended up with tickets in July giving me Monday-Saturday in Aviemore/Cairngorm. Thinking of doing the route above and then adding something else seeing as I now have more time in the area.

Been looking at some local things to see/photograph and was wondering if anyone knows if it possible to link together the ride from Aviemore to Loch Einich ( this route ) over to Loch Avon then back to Aviemore? Again a spot of wildcamping at both or either of these two places or indeed a bothy one night would be cool.

I’m guessing it might be too much for my “adventure” bike?

scotroutes

Too much for any bike (pretty much).

The trip into and back out of Glen Einich would be achievable. It’s a decent track for most of it. You’ll normally experience a headwind on the way there. There’s also a river crossing (the Allt Beanaidh) but water levels are particularly low at the moment so it should be ridable. There’s a high track and a low track for a short distance. The views from the high track are much better and the track is generally in a much better state of repair.

You can rule out Loch Avon by bike regardless of route.

The route I suggested above could be split into two days, giving more time for sightseeing/photography. Simply return to Aviemore after Boat of Garten or find a suitable campsite if you’re wild camping. Somewhere near Loch Garten would be ideal as you might catch sight of the ospreys (and it’s a nice spot anyway).

metalheart
    Free Member

Glen Einich/Eanaich (depends on the map…) is reasonable and when I did it three weekends ago it was all ridable except one river crossing which entry and exit looked pretty deep (but there’s plenty of stones/boulders to avoid getting your feet wet if you judge it right. The ford was ridable but I definitely got wet feet, wasn’t a problem on the way back. Used the bridge on the way in. Some more details here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/joining-the-bandwagon-275-bike-packing/page/3#post-8502537

I was on my B+ Cotic, guess the only tricky bit would be at the land slip (but that’s measured in metres and was no problem on the HT).

It took me less than an hour each way from Coylumbridge to the head of the loch, iirc it took less than 2 hours from just around the corner from ScotRoutes gaff. It’s a nice cycle though.

Creg

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Creg

Just out of interest does anyone happen to know where this is? (I’m taking a guess at Loch Ness but I’m probably 100% wrong)

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B835dJY6O4g[/video]

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Quiet road and gravel/gnarmac routes from Aviemore’ is closed to new replies.