Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Quickest way to fort bill?
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

I am heading up to fort william for the World champs in a few weeks,

I will be setting off from Penrith Junction 40 M6 at about 6pm on the Friday evening.but really want to make it to the pub in Glencoe for last orders (Clachaig inn)

Is it quicker to go via loch Lomand or the A84 Callander? Anticipating Traffic around Glasgee at 7ish

any advice greatly appreciated taa 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Callander IMO – avoid glasgow traffic. Motorway / dual carrigeway towards stirling

Stu_N

Probably not an awful lot in it but I’d usually go via Stirling and Callander – avoids going through the middle of The Weege and also the slow bit of road between Tarbert and Crianlarich (though the bit from Callander to Lochearnhead is equally slow I suppose).

geoffj

I’d go A82 (Loch Lomond). By the time you reach Weggiestan the traffic wont be too bad.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I LOVE the drive/ride via the A84 (I have a motorcycle) but always feel as though its a long way round.

Would the Loch Lomand route be quieter at this time, and therefore quicker?

It does look more direct,thanks for the replies so far.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i usually go straight up the a9 from edinburgh, then across (past laggan) usually quicker than the A82 up the loch.

Smee
    Free Member

Loch Lomond side will be quicker.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

gav – beware the A 84 has unmarked police bikes on it now – No place for serious speed no more 🙁 You get followed by some old codger on a sports bike, speed up to lose him, can’t then the blue lights appear and you get pulled over for your own video show

geoffj

I usually go straight up the a9 from edinburgh, then across (past laggan) usually quicker than the A82 up the loch.

To Fort Bill yes, but not to Glencoe.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Olly – thats a long long way round

Smee – I don’t think so as you have all the speedlimited stuff thru glasgow and dumbarton and so on – going the other way you have far less speedlimited stuff. ( well only the GLF sign)

I am sure stirling / callander is a bit quicker having driven both many times

MrNutt
    Free Member

helicopter?

thegreatape
    Free Member

What geoffj said.

roundwheels
    Free Member

What simply_oli_y said.

you miss the trafic that heads to and from f/b. simply_oli_y way is longer but it is quicker trust me i travel to f/b 3-4 times a year

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ollys way may be quicker from Edinburgh ( but not for me by a long way – at least a half hour longer for me from Edinburgh – but thats by bike) but it sure ain’t from Penrith were the OP is coming from!

Stirling / callander will be quickest as you don’t have to pass thru Glasgow. Stright up the motorway / duel carrigway to stirling then to callendar to

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Out of sheer sadness I checked it on the AA route planner – left to its own devices its goes via Glasgow but along the M8, across the Kingston bridge and back across the Erskine bridge!

Distance: 224.0 miles
    Time: 4 hr 20 min

Going via Stirling

Distance: 227.2 miles
    Time: 4 hr 23 min

Going via the A9
    Distance: 263.6 miles
    Time: 5 hr 10 min

Northwind

The A82’s quite prone to disruption, especially along loch lomond, lots of slow traffic, minor accidents, etc etc. Personally I’d go via Callander, it’s slower but it’s more reliable.

Clachaig Inn’s nice btw, we stayed there years ago, amazing steaks…

shoefiti
    Free Member

on an effin speedboat.

BoardinBob

If you’re going to go via Callander and you’re coming up the M74 then the M73, be warned there’s roadworks on the A80/M80. Restricted to 40mph for a very long stretch.

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – I’d rather be speed limited to 50mph on a 5 lane motorway than limited to 60mph on a twisty road. You drive straight through Glasgow at that time of night. I would take the Erskine bridge option.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

From Stirling it is quicker going up the A9 and through Laggan rather than through Glencoe, so it should be from Penrith too! You don’t get caught behind quite so many caravans (well, dual carriageway sections on the A9 allow you to get past them, none of the buggers have any intention of letting you past on the A84)

But I agree that the A84 is a magnificent road on a motorbike – cut my teath on it when I had my TDM 850 before moving to the Lakes!

I also agree that the A9 is a pants route if you are determined to stop at the Clach! I would probably err towards the Loch Lomond route from down this way, but it is going to be slow.

Just seen what time you are setting off… Glasgow should be okay 😉 Thought you were setting off first thing in the morning, which would be painful!

druidh
    Free Member

Problem with this thread is that the OP has mis-titled it (it should be “Quickest way to Glencoe”), hence all these A9/Laggan comments.

Stu_N

If anyone is considering going A9 to Nevis Range there’s major roadworks with single lane running on the A9 at Bankfoot (between Perth and Dunkeld). Can very easily queue for 20 minutes to get through there.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Tee hee,looks like the gloves are off on this one,I have travelled on all the above mentioned routes.I think the Laggan option is pushing it a bit when you would have to travel (south) through fort bill to Glencoe!!!.

Having said that the laggan/A9 route is probably the easiest drive (in a van) with a better average speed,if time is not an issue.

The Loch Lomand route has always been a nightmare when ever I have used it,but I havent tried it at 7 in the evening on a friday. 🙄

Thanks for the “unmarked police bike” advice TJ,Our regular mbike trip usually means we travel up the A84 at some pretty silly speeds,so far we havent had any issues, although its usually on a friday evening when things are quiet.

maybee we have been very lucky so far! 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Avoid the Loch Lomond road ime.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gavgas – just don’t get into races with middleaged blokes on sports tourers who ride in a geoff duke stylee with a dayglo sam browne. I believe they are mainly around at weekends and are fairly lenient unless you top 100 mph or cross double white lines.

Brycey
    Free Member

You’ll sail through Glasgow and over The Erskine Bridge at that time of night. The whole route will be fine other than the top of Loch Lomond, although if you’re feeling ‘assertive’ even that won’t slow you down much at that time (watch for some nasty potholes around there though).

Stu_N

If you’re heading up late on Friday then this is worth knowing (saw the variable message signs on the road coming home today).

http://www.trafficscotland.org/plannedroadworks/details.aspx?id=277703

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Crikey,thats exellent information Stu,Thanks 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Quickest way to fort bill?’ is closed to new replies.