Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Quick tool free solution to stop pads rubbing on rotors?
  • SiB
    Free Member

Commute in this morning was hard work to say the least in the snow but even harder due to pads constantly on rotors on front wheel. Is there a quick tool-free method to solve problem or is it another hard ride back? Can brakes be disengaged completely without causing other problems (apart from the ability to stop)

I've heard ring spanner pressed on to pistons might work?

Any advice appreciated, thanks

perks

well yeah – you could try pressing them back – I've just removed the pads on my rear brakes because my pistons are now siezed due to the salt mix they put on the roads…

front brake only is fun….not…

otherwise if they are new pads and aren't siezed pistons then just sandpaper them down 1/2mm on each and away you go…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'm confused as to your problem. Just remove the wheel, insert a hard thin thing (spoon/fork/knife from the canteen) and press them apart, then don't use them again for the rest of the journey.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Tyre lever – although that is a tool.

wwaswas

removing wheel and using something flat to push the pads back in will help but you may be back where you started the first tiome you use them

meadowedge
    Free Member

try taking the pads out and spraying a little wd40 or similar on the piston sides. then pump the pistons out a little (not too far!) then push back. this should relube the seals and help them run as they should.

nickc

Do not use WD40 anywhere near brake piston seals.

have you a 5mm allen with you? loosen mounting bolts, pull brake lever, do up bolts, should centre caliper

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks for advice, will try the knife route and try not to use brakes

giantjason
    Free Member

you probably have got corrosion on the pistons and once the pads are pushed out to brake they will not return. i had this problem after commuting last week and as said above, take the pads out and put a little lube on the pistons and move them out to lubricate the seal. this should get them back to working condition.

sv

Careful you don't blow a seal by forcing the pistons back in – haven't done that myself 😉

SiB
    Free Member

sv…thats what I'm concerned about as heard similar.
    Will try 5mm allen key route
    WD40….mixed comments so might leave that one unless anybody knows for definite?
    Problem started a couple of weeks ago which ties in with all the salt on road and has got progressively worse so sounds like seized up.

Thanks again

TheFopster
    Free Member

Mine were making terrible noise when not applied – high pitched squeel – but silend while braking. No discernible drag. Went away simply by removing pads and putting back in. I'd do that first – takes 60 secs and maybe all you need.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Quick tool free solution to stop pads rubbing on rotors?’ is closed to new replies.