• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Quick Shimano 10-11 Speed Compatibility Question
  • Haze

Just thinking about getting the winter bike ready (sigh) and going to 11 speed, has 5700 at the moment.

So new shifters, derailleurs, chain and cassette…any need to change the front rings and crank or can I get away with it?

njee20
    Free Member

It’ll be fine.

damascus
    Free Member

How many miles have the rings done?

Haze

Not sure tbh, TA Specialites only around a winters worth. Also have a Stages PM so don’t really want to run into any compatibility issues…

Cheers.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Wheels. Or at least, new freehub.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ he’s right about that, unless you’ve got Mavic wheels!

akira

Depends on how new the wheels are many wheels are 11 speed compatible and just run a spacer to fit a ten speed cassette.

simondbarnes

Chainrings will be fine, hub may not be as others have mentioned.

Haze

Wheels are fine, I have some 11 speed I’d like to use on nicer days. Can put the old 10 speed for the shitty weather.

Just wasn’t sure if the front ring spacing had changed, couldn’t think of any reason for it.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

How you going to use 10 speed wheels on an 11 speed set up? Spacings different isn’t it?

Haze

Ah good point…

(can’t believe I missed that)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You could probably use 10/11ths an 11 speed cassette and shim it out so the top sprockets line up. Then just remember not to try and shift into the bottom sprocket……. spoke protector?

Haze

No protector, could probably do something with the limit screws but wouldn’t fancy tweaking those every time I change wheels.

Will probably just leave it until I’ve got the budget for winter wheels, trying to save for next years race wheels at the moment…

Haze

Bonus, have a 11sp hub going spare after all…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Quick Shimano 10-11 Speed Compatibility Question’ is closed to new replies.