Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Quick ride near Penllergaer, Swansea.
  • lister

My van has to have a service in Penllergaer, just off the M4 near Swanse on Saturday morning. I’ll have nowt to do for a few hours but will have a courtesy vehicle.
    Where could I get to quickly for a nice MTB or road ride?
    During the test drive earlier in the year I drove around the area and it was a horrible combination of fast suburban roads and built up areas.
    I know there is riding on the Gower but I’m not sure I’ll have time to get there and back for it to be worth it.
    Something north of the M4 maybe?
    Any locals able to point me at a wood or quiet road loop?

Cheers

snownrock

Penllergaer woods is ace, the side south of the M4 behind the council offices directly off Jct 45, about 5 mins ride from Sinclair. Well was when we left the area 3 yrs ago , not entirely sure on the legality of some of the trails. But they are well and considerately used, I never had any issues.

snownrock

Could always blast around a trail at afan if you have a few hours? Not far?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lister

I think Afan would take me too long TBH, it had crossed my mind though.
    Local woods sound interesting, what are the local woods users like? Scary and druggy, or friendly keep-fit types?

Ambrose

Penllegaer Woods behind the services and Cadle Woods on the other side of the M4 (Junction 47) both are easily accessible. Cadle Woods are the easier of the two to find your way around, just follow the trails on the east side of the stream all the way down and then return on the western side. There are loads of variations, at a variety of difficulties. Whilst there are no signs encouraging MTBs they are most definitely welcome according to my local friend. I’ve ridden there loads, it’s great for a blast for an hour or two. Once away from the carparks there is nothing to indicate that you are so close to the M4 and Swansea city. And as above, the riding is ace, a whole hidden world of fun!

Or perhaps join Gnusmas and I in Brechfa?

lister

Brechfa is on the way home for me…got to get back to Pembroke by mid afternoon. Thanks for the offer though.
    I take it I head to the forestry carpark, accessed from the lane near the services? Best to drive there, rather than pedal from the Sinclair garage and brave the main roads crossing the M4?

ferrals
    Free Member

Penlegaer woods on the north of the M4 is good fun, lots of little bits of singletrack, however NRW were planning on felling it earlier this year which was going to destroy a lot of the good stuff. I don’t know if they did or not.

Another good option would be to drive to the railway inn in killay which is about 15 minutes. Ride through Clyne woods south along the cycle path till you get to a pond on your right. Just before the pond you’ll see a a waymarked mtb trail up the hill to the right. There are a couple of loops, a long xc descent if you turn right at the top and a shorter steeper descent if you turn left. Plenty of other trails that are obvious to see too. One of the marked trails is called millers with plenty on YouTube if you want a look

lister

That looks nice too!
    I’ll maybe save that for next time the kids are in the National Pool for an all day gala…it’s good to get out for some fresh air.

Ambrose

lister, the carpark is here: https://www.penllergare.org/how-to-find-us/

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

You can get to Clyne in 20 mins or so….All waymarked if you’re not familiar with it.

http://www.clyneriders.co.uk/home.php

IdleJon

Penllergaer woods is ace, the side south of the M4 behind the council offices directly off Jct 45, about 5 mins ride from Sinclair. Well was when we left the area 3 yrs ago , not entirely sure on the legality of some of the trails. But they are well and considerately used, I never had any issues.

Same side as Ambrose described as Cadle woods. (Cadle is the bottom end. The top, nearer the M4, is the old Penllergaer estate.) There is no ROW that I know of on this side. It’s heavily used by walkers, families, dog walkers etc, and the charity that is restoring the place is doing lots of hard work, so it would be nice to respect that. There used to be some nice singletrack along the stream, but there’s not really enough for a few hours. It’s got some nice scenery.

I rode through the woods adjoining the services on Sunday, the north side, on the cx bike. That sums it up. There’s muddy singletrack, probably more that I don’t know about, but nobody I know heads up there instead of Clyne or Kilvey.

Clyne has waymarked trails – probably 20-30 minutes drive from the M4. Very good and lots of riding.

Kilvey is steeper, looser, more techy. Not waymarked but not difficult to work out where the trails are. It’s my personal trail centre. 🙂

You could spend hours in either.

I really wouldn’t bother with Penllergaer unless you want a plod around. Head for Clyne or Kilvey and you really won’t be disappointed. You can even link them up, traffic free along the seafront, with a decent coffee and cake.

I’m free on Saturday and can show you around if you want.

lister

Hi Idlejon, I’ve sent you a message!

IdleJon

Lister, I sent you an email yesterday but don’t think it left my outbox? I’m full of cold today so not going to ride – sorry to let you down. Have fun.

lister

Just a quick write up for the record…
    If you have a couple of hours to kill near to Swansea then go to Clyne woods.
    My phone didn’t find the Railway Inn straight away (it’s at the bottom of a hill) but the rest of the instructions up there ^ were bang on.

2 red (fair grade) loops up from the pond off the old railway line.
    I did the climb 3 times, 2 downs to the right and 1 to the left. I was by myself and don’t like riding steep stuff solo.
    But the trails are ace.
    2 loops, down the railway line to the seafront for a cuppa and cake, then back up for a last loop. A couple of hours well spent.

Thanks for all the advice.
    No worries IdleJon, next time eh?

gnusmas

Sounds good, bookmarking for a hopeful future ride.

ferrals
    Free Member

Good stuff. It’s great to have it so close to the city. Definately a better option than Penlegaer…. unless you are a fan of dogging 😯

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Quick ride near Penllergaer, Swansea.’ is closed to new replies.