Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • quick release on carbon frames
  • bikeonaboat
    Free Member

So i’m lucky enough to be quite overbiked and have a carbon Anthem. Now I know I’m supposed to have the saddle up high all the time but where’s the fun in that.

Can i put a quick release leve on it? Although it has one of the two opposing bolts allen adjuster on it just now it seems to be the same type of fitting as a quick release, ie the rim round the top of it open at the back. The frame itself has two grooves, 1 at the back as normal and one in front.

Bit of a faff getting the spanner out each time you want to go back down the hill!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

get a joplin/reverb or similar

bikeonaboat
    Free Member

They seem quite good, but a fair bit heavier than a quick release clamp!

ask1974
    Free Member

But you can adjust on the fly, not just the top / bottom of every hill. Hit a sudden drop or steep technical rooty section you can have the seat 100mm lower in a second without stopping. Reverb was the best pound for pound addition on my new bike, you appreciate it all the time. To hell with the weight.

iain1775
    Free Member

No wonder it’s a faff if your using a spanner
    Try using an Allen key instead

bikeonaboat
    Free Member

my spanner has an allen key on it!! lucky me.. so back to quick releases? hope are nice..

flyingmonkeycorps

I went through a bunch of QRs before I bought a Hope. More expensive, but I haven’t broken it yet and it still works, so worth it I reckon.

No idea about using one on a carbon frame, pretty sure a friend uses a QR on a carbon Moto.

was
    Free Member

The anthem advanced has 2 bolts on the seat clamp doesn’t it? To spread the load.

You would need 2 x Qrs…. and scratch all that lovely carbon when grit gets dragged down.

Being 27.2 you are limited in the choice of dropper post. If you are bothered about weight then I’d go with a gravity dropper or clone – keep an eye on this thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/forca-vario-dropper-seatpost-gravity-dropper-clone-272/page/2

D0NK

take your current seatpost clamp off and measure it, probably 34.9mm, anthem C looks like a chunky seatpost
    I was going to say I prefer clamps like this with a plastic insert on the cam but it looks like hope have changed their design. The brass bit on the old style worked fine when clean but squeaked a lot and was hard work when gritty.

bikeonaboat
    Free Member

its a 34.9mm, says so on the post… two clamps wouldnt fit due to the ridge on the top edge of a clamp, plus it is not actually double the depth of a single clamp. i dont really see grit being able to caus that much damage, its not like a gear cable constantly rubbing…. well maybe if you never clean it..

onandon
    Free Member

Qr’s on carbon are fine. I have two Giants and two Meridas that have had them on for months.
    I tend to use kcnc but any should be fine .

was
    Free Member

Ah right the trance advanced I had took a 27.2 post.

I had a QR on the NRS composite I had a few years back, I was perhaps irrationally worried about scraping grit down the tube so I took it off.

Sounds like you will be fine if you can find a suitable clamp.

D0NK

i dont really see grit being able to caus that much damage

it will beleive me, unless you live in california your post wil end up scratched. With ali posts it’s not really a problem your black anodising just wears off eventually, with a carbon post the laquer gets scratched up pretty quick, dunno how it effects strength/longevity but it put me off dropping the saddle on the 1 carbon posted bike I own.

bikeonaboat
    Free Member

i can see it getting scratched cosmetically.. i work with composite masts/booms we just whack another coat of laquer on when it gets worn! The seat post is probably a item with a lifespan, i’d rather not have to replace to frame though which is where the original question was coming from..

pjls12
    Free Member

i have a joplin 3 30.9 and a shim to take it to 34.9 if you are interested

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘quick release on carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.