Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Quick rear shock question..
  • poltheball
    Free Member

Can I use a tyre pump without a pressure gauge to pump up my rear shock? It’s a Fox RP2, and I just need it to to be a bit firmer – not too fussed about exact pressure. Will doing it with a normal pump damage shock or pump, or will I be okay?

theflatboy
    Free Member

As long as the sag ends up ok, it doesn’t matter what the number on the dial would be.

greeble
    Free Member

you wont damage the shock or pump. but I’d be suprised if you push more than 120 psi into the shock using a tyre pump.

poltheball
    Free Member

Is 120psi quite low for a shock? I’m 12stone in riding gear.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the other thing you’ll struggle with, i’d have thought, would be disconnecting the pump from the valve without losing almost all the air.

watsontony
    Free Member

you will more than likely end up with less in. Its all about getting the pump off without losing too much pressure

watsontony
    Free Member

either order one and wait a few days or go for a ride pop into the lbs and offer him a couple of quid to borrow his.

khani
    Free Member

A tyre pump isn’t designed to go to a high enough pressure and pumps too much air in a stroke to go in the shock, you’ll probably just lose all the air in the shock instead,
    A shock pump is designed to pump a small amount of air to a high pressure which is pretty much the opposite of what a tyre pump is designed to do..

patriotpro
    Free Member

Where’s tha based? I’m in west yorkshire so you can borrow mine if tha wants…

LoCo
    Free Member

Doubt you’ll get the pump head onto the valve 😉

poltheball
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, I’m based in Dundee so can’t take you up on that offer; thanks anyway!

Might just have to pop to lbs then.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Quick rear shock question..’ is closed to new replies.