Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Quick questions(s) about Cotic Soul frame
  • oldgwegg
    Free Member

Just about to order a Scandal frame in the next few days but have just spotted a Cotic Soul in Reynolds 853 (in hideous orange) come up for sale on some local classifieds. The listing has it for sale with some forks that I’m not interested in so I’ve asked if he’d sell just the frame.

What is a fair price for a Soul frame in 16″ – has a few light scuffs but no dents or dings according to the description and pictures.

How does the Soul compare to the Scandal – I’m looking to ride XC, some fast descents but no jumps, emphasis on long rides.

Any buying advice on getting a secondhand frame (apart from knowing its a risk) ? Thanks in advance, again !! 😳

sambob
    Free Member

Probably about £200, depends how old it is. I wouldn’t worry too much about it being a second hand frame.

cinnamon_girl

Is the tt on the Scandal not longer than the Soul?

oldgwegg
    Free Member

@cinnamon girl – yes but only by 5mm so maybe not too different there. The geometry is pretty similar to the Scandal.

I was wondering more about how the frame material changes the ride, and what you get for the more expensive Soul (a second hand Soul will cost as much as a new Scandal) ???

jasonm945
    Free Member

The Scandal will be lighter and stiffer…

But…

The Soul is highly praised for its steel responsiveness, many riders use them as their “all day” bikes and are extremely happy with them. Also they hold their value better than an On One.
    Most experienced riders on here compare the soul’s feel to Kona’s of the 90’s.

If it’s for longer rides then it will (almost) certainly beat you up less than the scandal.

Hope this helps some!

Jay

cinnamon_girl

Ah OK. I’m an ex-Soul owner and it’s the only frame I’ve ever regretted selling. Bought mine new and sold after around 9 months due to dream frame appearing in the Classifieds! Was disappointed with paintwork though, looked pretty tatty and there’s no rocks where I am!!

Steel is always nice and the Soul was a good workhorse for my XC pootles. Could happily do 35 milers and not feel too beaten up.

There’s a lot of happy Soul owners on here. I’ve never ridden a Scandal so can’t comment.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice – off to see if I can do a deal then. Cheers.

somafunk

I’d take a soul over a scandal any day, not to say the scandal is a bad frame as it isn’t but a soul is just right for everything whereas a scandal is great for getting from point to point as quick as you can, as you mentioned “XC, Fast descents, Long rides” i’d go for the soul.

xlaire
    Free Member

The Soul is hands-down the best bike I’ve ever ridden. I’d never be without one. It’s a joy to ride anywhere and everywhere. Have to agree with the previous poster about the paintwork though. I ride like a girl and there are chunks out of the paintwork all over the place. Still, it’s what underneath which matters. Get the Soul.

cinnamon_girl

Obligatory pic:

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Nice pic – thats more like it, with a bit of mud !! 😀

anotherstan
    Free Member

“blatant plug”
    nearly new scandal frame for sale over in classifieds.

vorlich
    Free Member

in hideous orange

How very dare you! 😛

I have an orange Soul and a have had no problems with the paintwork. It’s a brilliant bike.

I also have a Scandal, but it’s the 29er version…

FOG

I have owned both but the fact I still have the Soul says it all. The Scandal is an excellent bike but the Soul is comfier for all round duties plus it has clearance for longer forks. Can’t see me ever selling the Soul.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Would someone experienced in the witchcraft of steel frames please have a look at these pictures of the secondhand Cotic Soul I have found to give me an idea of what you think. It looks pretty scuffed in places but I’ve no idea how superficial that is. I wouldn’t mind knowing what year it is too – seller doesn’t know so I guess he got it secondhand. Could be the first model I guess – is that bad ?

The seller seems a nice guy and knows his bikes but won’t sell the frame only so it comes with some forks that I don’t really want for about £250. I don’t think I’ll get much for the forks if I sell them on either as they are quite old and got bad reviews for reliability. If the frame looks good I might keep the forks and see how they run. They are Marzocchi Bomber 700XC ATA, not sure what year.

Photos are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110333594892542287288/CoticSoul?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOGRjoOEp_6fjQE&feat=directlink

jambalaya
    Free Member

@oldgwegg – If you think the Orange is hideous the Soul is not for you. As @vorlich says “how very dare you” !

Suggest you drop Cotic an email, they may have some of the prior model BFe’s for £300 new, I got one in March and it’s my all round bike.

chiefgrooveguru

That’s a custard one, not orange. All the chips and scuffs look superficial to me. I’m guessing it’s circa 2008.

cinnamon_girl

I may be completely wrong here but I thought the 853 version only came out in January 2010.

As I stated before, the paintwork on mine was not very good, pretty much on a par with On-One. I think my 9 month old frame went for around £200, not much considering they are nearly £500 new.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

😆 Well – its true that Orange is not my colour but at the end of the day I don’t have any interest whatsoever in what the bike looks like. I know some of you love your decals and paintjobs but I’d only be interested in what it rides like and is it structurally sound. And if the Soul is as good as people say then it could be puke green for all I care 😀

I did think about the BFe – I can see that they are cheaper for a start and perhaps more easy to pick up/find. But I don’t want the extra weight and it’ll be too much bike for me I think. I’ve already put buying a Scandal on hold because I’ve got the Soul bug (and perhaps something similar with 853 steel if I can find it).

So, what do these pictures tell you about the condition of this Soul then ?

Edit: Interesting – difference of opinion on the year. Does the number on the underside of the BB tell us anything ? As for paintwork – I’m not bothered if its cut to ribbons – its just the strength and integrity of the frame I’m worried about.

cinnamon_girl

Is it a complete bike you’re buying and how much?

Have you been looking on the Classifieds here as they do come up for sale sometimes?

ononeorange

That chainsuck damage on the RH chainstay looks quite bad in the pic, but it’s just a pic. Can you see on the actual frame if it has damaged the metal or whether it’s just taken the paint off?

Northwind

That one in the pics is a pre-CEN model so rated to 130mm. Same as mine was in fact. The chips and marks are superficial, it’s not had a quiet life but it wouldn’t concern me at all, that’s what Souls are for.

oldgwegg – Member

How does the Soul compare to the Scandal – I’m looking to ride XC, some fast descents but no jumps, emphasis on long rides.

I replaced my Scandal with a Soul and… Well, pretty different. The Scandal’s a better pure XC bike I reckon- lighter and a bit more “racy” if that’s what floats your boat. The Soul is better at absolutely everything else, and not by a little. The geometry’s fairly similiar on paper but the ride’s fairly different. Especially if you want to use a longer fork- my Scandal was never happy with over 110mm, it always felt like an XC bike with too much fork in despite being officially “allowed” up to 130mm.

Mine was a 2009 or 10 model. Paint was solid- very chip resistant, but it did scratch easier than some. Very good though. Attention to detail and finish on the frame were fantastic. Lovely frame- still miss it.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

@cinnamongirl – I’m just looking to buy frame and forks. Have been looking in the classifieds here but seems like everyone wants one (when a complete build was for sale the other day, 2 people wanted just the frame) and they don’t come up too often. I’ll hang on if this isn’t the right one though.

@ononeorange – I haven’t seen the bike as its a few hundred miles away and I’d be buying it unseen, posted.

chiefgrooveguru

They’ve always had 853 main tubes.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

@Northwind – the seller seems happy riding it with 140mm travel – I was intending to keep it on 120mm. Are you saying yours is the same era as this one (possibly pre-CEN) ? And which frame do you miss – the Scandal or the Soul ?

I wish there wasn’t so much reported difference between the Soul and the Scandal – all this love for twangy 853 means I’ve got to go through a bit more of a search for a secondhand Soul rather than just buying a new Scandal. Sounds like its worth it though.

ononeorange

I forgot to add that they are absolutely ace (Souls that is – haven’t ridden a Scandal) – I love mine (which came off the Classifieds on here).

Northwind

TBH I rode mine with 140mm a bit, it didn’t die… But was only warrantied to 130mm. Mine was the exact same variant as this one. (nice easy check- CEN ones have removable gearhangers)

I miss the Soul- to be fair I miss the Scandal too sometimes, it was a great fast XC bike. But the Soul is an honest to god masterpiece.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

Just found and added the other pic to the photos (was missing before) which shows the number on the bottom bracket.

The number is stamped: S400 1953

Maybe it doesn’t tell us anything.

swingbing
    Free Member

If the seller has been riding a pre-cen Soul at 140mm it could mean the frame has lead quite a high stress life so far.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

@Swingbing – good point. As much as I want a Soul (more now after everyone keeps saying how nice they are :-)) my spider senses are tingling, telling me I should wait to find just the frame only (without forks I don’t want), and perhaps a post CEN model. Thanks guys – anyone getting rid of one, let me know please.

sok

@oldwegg – what size are you looking for? Assume from OP 16″ but if not I have a large pre-CEN in black in my garage waiting to be sold. Email in profile if interested and can arrange pics.

oldgwegg
    Free Member

@sok – thanks but I’m looking for a 16″ (only 5’6″). I’m impressed that people have got Cotic Soul frames knocking around in the garage though ! There is hope for me yet.

titusrider
    Free Member

Just a quick one, souls are great (i have a simple) and the custard yellow (or orange as you said) really is great in the flesh

I just wanted to warn you off Marzocchi Bomber 700XC ATA forks.
    They really are an abomination and some of the most terrible forks i have ever used. Super flexy, esp front to back under braking and unreliable and trick to set up and not even plush when they are set up.

wait and find a soul frame without them!

oldgwegg
    Free Member

@Titusrider – ahh, thanks for the warning. That confirms what I’ve read elsewhere (except a fairly complementary BR review for the 2008 model). I was nearly tempted earlier on to get the frame and forks but think I’ll pass this offer by.

On sizing, being 5’6″, could a 17.5″/medium be set-up to suit me ? Gives me more options.

thebunk

I’m 5’6″ with a 16″ bright orange* CEN Soul. It is absolutely brilliant. Paint on mine is chipped in pretty much all of the same places as on those pics mind.

I’m not selling it though… 😀

* “The One True Colour” – Cy Cotic

sok

I only have a large going spare as I’m making the other-half rationalise. Also can no longer bear the fact that we have matching bikes. My small Soul is staying put.

I’m 5’6″ and TBH I find the small slightly on the large side for some things (would love to try a new XS). If you’re wanting a Soul for the ‘chuckability’ as Cy puts it, then I think a 17.5 would be too stretched. Having said that, it depends on your leg : body length and what you prefer.

wwaswas

Also can no longer bear the fact that we have matching bikes

Mad eme smile. You should get a couple red cagoules, too 🙂

sok

You should get a couple red cagoules, too

This is where I point out I purchased my white Spesh helmet before he did…

oldgwegg
    Free Member

[Sorry for repeating this post in here too but there were a lot of people who really helped me here too]

Quick update and to say thanks to everyone who helped me by responding with answers and advice.

I WAS intending to buy a steel hardtail frame and some decent forks but who would have guessed that what I actually wanted was a full sus ? I didn’t really realise you could get a FS for XC and I’d always assumed they were too expensive and for downhill.

Found an ad on here Saturday morning, quick drive halfway across France later and I’m the proud owner of a Rocky Mountain ETSx. I’m in love with it already ! Thanks again.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Quick questions(s) about Cotic Soul frame’ is closed to new replies.