Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Quick Question – will a cheap multimeter work as a continuity tester?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Like this one from screwfix? It’s only £9.99.

I have a few days of putting down silly electrical UFH matting and as part of the procedure (which I have to follow), I need to check continuity before covering it with timber. So I need a continuity tester – not really a tool in your average floorist’s kitbag. 🙂

So will that one do the trick?

nickjb
    Free Member

That’ll be fine. Just use a low resistance range. One with a continuity test ‘beep’ might be a little easier as you don’t need to look at it, though.

spchantler
    Free Member

yep, its the setting at nearly 6 o’clock

donks
    Free Member

Should be ok but it does depend on if it’s just continuity you need or a low ohms reading. I thought some of the ufh elements worked on a low resistance which you need to prove prior to overlaying the floor. If the resistance is well under an ohm then that meter may be no good. If it’s just a beep you need then it’s fine.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have that one, it is what it is, seems decent enough. Goes down to 0.1ohm which may or may not be low enough for your needs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems like most cheap ones have the continuity mode, check if it has a beep, it’s useful.

However, it’s NOT suitable for insulation testing (which might be a useful check), i.e. testing if there might be a short circuit. Because they use low voltage, of course, and some insulation problems might cause a short circuit only when voltage is high. My dad used to use a thing called a Mega* which IIRC was more expensive, but it was pretty ancient so that may have changed.

Might be a good idea to make friends with a sparkie who could test it before you put flooring down?

* EDIT just googled, it’s Megger.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Quick Question – will a cheap multimeter work as a continuity tester?’ is closed to new replies.