• This topic has 30 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IA.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Quick question please about laying some slate on a walkway…please :-)
  • bearnecessities

I know what you’re thinking, why would I want to change this feature of the house?

Still, I do for some reason. However, the ‘retaining’ wall is on the piss, and I am not tackling it this year, oh no – so something ‘permanent’ is not on the cards.

I’ve googled my various options (mainly here) and my plan is to lay down a load of slate.

So questions are:

a) Do I HAVE to dig up the concrete being as it’s slate (so not arse-slippery like gravel that’s laid on concrete, apparently) and no cars will be smashing it up…and

b) if I do have to remove base, any experienced hints or tips to share of doing the job? (I’ll be doing it by myself, removing concrete, laying a mesh and just using a tablespoon to lay slate)

Yes, I know some people are ‘oh gravel is awful dahhhling’ but I don’t have the money for a nice job right now, plus I don’t actually mind gravel/slate 🙂

Thanks

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not liking the way that concrete is just poured against the wall with no soakaway…any damp problems on the internals? Anyway, that’s beside the point…apologies.

All I’d advise is, if you’re just after a temporary solution, that you get something with smooth stones, as one day you will need to walk on it barefoot and anything sharp will have you wincing.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Removing concrete is sledge hammer therapy for men. It gets heavy though, when taking the rubble to the tip.

(edit) The good feature of gravel is you’ll hear any intruders or visitors.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bearnecessities

It’s ok, I’m skipped-up at the moment 🙂 *Mutters about spending nearly £1k on skips in a year*

I was steering away from rounded gravel as (only from googling) it’s a death-trap if I laid onto the concrete, apparently. I’d prefer gravel as it’s lighter in colour than slate, but not bothered if I cover in in rabbit droppings to be honest if it’s hides that concrete!

Afraid I don’t know what a soakaway is, but no damp.

EDIT: Looking at that picture, I’ve just realised how on the piss the concrete is at back of shonky extension.

rusty90
    Free Member

Looking at that picture, I’ve just realised how on the piss the concrete is at back of shonky extension.

This has all the makings of a great thread. Can we check back in a couple of days when you’ve decided to demolish the extension as well?
    Seriously though, that concrete was just BAD, you’ve done the right thing.
    EDIT: Er, you are taking up the concrete aren’t you? Please.

bearnecessities

Chap, you have no idea….the extension is coming down anyhow, not just yet though.

Anyhow, I haven’t done anything with the concrete yet! I’ve come to you bunch of muppets for some advice first 🙂

EDIT: Well yes, if someone can just tell me smashing it up and laying mesh & stones is all I have to worry about? Nothing else I need to consider?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d def get rid of the concrete to give drainage. By ‘mesh’ do you mean a membrane/weed suppressant fabric?

My sister has crushed slate on here driveway which is better than gravel as it’d doesn’t move around as much – I’d be tempted to go with gravel as it would lighten the area – but if you’re set on slate then fill yer boots …. but get rid of the concrete.

bearnecessities

By ‘mesh’ do you mean a membrane/weed suppressant fabric?

Sorry, yes. That stuff.

I’d be tempted to go with gravel as it would lighten the area

I’m 100% with you there. It really needs a light colour. Slate was just to avoid removing concrete.

So, is it just a case of remove concrete, level base, cover in membrane and lob gravel over? Nothing else I need to consider providing it stays clear of DPC?

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve come to you bunch of muppets for some advice first

You’ve got a skip, I can see it in the photo. Smash up the concrete and put it in the skip. Please get back to me if there is any part of this you can’t understand. (I’d come and help if you if I was near enough, but fortunately I’m not)
    Putting anything on top of that concrete would literally be papering over the cracks. Get rid of it.

bearnecessities

Smash up the concrete and put it in the skip. Please get back to me if there is any part of this you can’t understand.

Smashing stuff up I’m fairly comfortable with, it’s what to do next and what to be wary of (if anything) I’m asking about.

I’m learning as I go and I come here for advice.

totalshell

we ve got the loose slate ‘flakes’ at either side of our drive. no membrane… no weeds in 4 years laid straight on mother earth 1 inch deep.. looks smart enough easy to maintain. it ll pass

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

2 things. Firstly the concrete looks like it gently slopes away from the house, so while there’s no drain present you may have found rain water simply washing away from the house. Now you’ve moved the concrete can I suggest making sure you dig a small drain to below the height of the dpc to avoid any future problems, plus it always looks better for selling.

Secondly, please tell me that’s not asbestos roofing that you’re about to chuck in the skip?

rusty90
    Free Member

I’m learning as I go and I come here for advice.

Fair play. I’m out in the sticks so getting rid of hard core isn’t a problem, one man’s hard core is another man’s driveway. I can understand that getting rid of the stuff is difficult in an urban environment. But its got to go, putting anything on top on that is only going to make it worse. You seem to have done all the hard work but are stuck on dealing with the spoil. Have you explored any other avenues of getting rid of the spoil rather than paying paying the waste management mafia?

bearnecessities

The concrete is still there.

So if there concrete was to be smashed up and I was just left with soil/rubble, is drainage something I need to be factor in with laying a membrane & gravel?

Hell, please someone just tell me what I need to do!! 😀

..and no, asbestos roof has been wrapped up and will be disposed of correctly, at a ridiculous total cost!

EDIT: Rusty, I think we’re at a mis-understanding. I do not have a problem with removal or disposal of concrete base if necessary, my call for help is what do I need to consider when laying a gravel replacement.

spchantler
    Free Member

if the extension is coming down why do anything to the concrete? why not leave it for builders/ yourself to work on? unless you are putting new extension up next job and need to install drainage,even then i’d be leaving it and cutting channels. what is next job?

spchantler
    Free Member

aint you in leeds op?

rusty90
    Free Member

So if there concrete was to be smashed up and I was just left with soil/rubble, is drainage something I need to be factor in with laying a membrane & gravel?

Drainage. Where does the water go? Do you have a grey water drain you can direct it to? If you have gutters coming of the roof they will go into a grey water drain, you need to set up the new hard stand so it drains into that.

bearnecessities

The extension will be major, probably about £20k job as is planned for now, is to extend sidewards – not for the next few years will I have anything near the capacity to tackle it financially.

I wasn’t actually thinking of gravelling the rear of house, just the side, but if possible I will stretch around the back also.

Yes, I’m in Leeds. Send help 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

So, is it just a case of remove concrete, level base, cover in membrane and lob gravel over?

Yes.

rusty90
    Free Member

The extension will be major, probably about £20k job

So get them to do it. Stop worrying.

bearnecessities

Rusty, thanks but you’re really not getting my question.

EDIT: Thanks sharkbait; is it really as simple as that? Nothing else to consider?

sharkbait
    Free Member

is it really as simple as that? Nothing else to consider?

Nothing. You’re effectively substituting grass for gravel – you wouldn’t be doing any more if you were putting grass there.

rusty90
    Free Member

My apologies. Can you restate your question in a way in which I can more usefully help?
    There is no easy answer. The concrete’s *ed. No way around it. It’s compromising your DPC and anything you out on top of it is just going to shift and make things worse. The main problem you have is getting rid of the stuff you dig up. Concentrate on ways of getting rid of the old crap. If you’re getting rid on the conservatory can you not plan to get it all sorted together?

spchantler
    Free Member

i’m with rusty, i’d be leaving it, easier to clean stuff up from concrete. however, if you’re taking it up, just put slate or gravel down on the muck. i don’t see why you couldn’t put the slate down on the concrete if you wanted, tho, seems like a bit of a waste of money and time tho

bearnecessities

Just a bump for day crowd as I’m too thick to decipher what the consensus is on what I actually need to do.

– I don’t have any problems removing/disposing of concrete.

– Extension in staying put for now

– I just want to gravel/slate the side of house.

Sharkbait’s seems simpliest advice but not sure how could I compromise dpc or even get gravel to channel water to a drain?

Thanks (feeling stupid)

sharkbait
    Free Member

not sure how could I compromise dpc or even get gravel to channel water to a drain?

Bear you don’t have to drain the water anywhere – especially with gravel – as it will naturally soak through the gravel/slate into the ground. If anything you’re protecting the DPC by lowering the surface and allowing the water to drain away naturally.
    Gravel would be better for this as slate ‘can’ compact and create a slightly less permeable surface.

What others are saying is that, as it is now the level of the concrete ‘may’ be putting the water close to the DPC – and there isn’t a gap between the concrete and the wall to allow the water to get away.

So what you’re planning on doing is good.

Marko

I’d:

1. Remove concrete.
    2. Locate DPC.
    3. Lower soil level to at least 150mm below DPC.
    4. Build retaining wall using log roll border edging or similar.
    5. Lay slate chippings.
    6. Drink Tea.

Hth
    Marko

bearnecessities

Brilliant, thank you. That was kind of my thinking in the main, so feel a bit less stupid 🙂

Good point on slate compacting.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Have you also considered that if you do move the concrete the builders (whenever you get to do the extension) will completely ruin anything you put down. Slate will be cracked/gravel will be filthy. Can’t you put the drive funding towards the extension and just get it done quicker?
    But in answer to your question, yes, it’s as simple as what you suggest, but make sure you dig enough out enough next to house to ensure it’s below the dpc, and backfill with gravel. If you haven’t had an issue with damp already then I wouldn’t start installing drainage, probably overkill IMO.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Chances are the concrete isn’t at the DPC level (otherwise there would be damp evident on the inside of the wall), now so simply removing it and putting down gravel will lower the level sufficiently and improve the drainage.

With regards to leaving the concrete until the extension gets done ….. why should he? BN wants it gone and he’s willing to do it himself – why wait, the place would look better with gravel/slate, the extension may not be done for two years and the builders would only charge to break it up and cart it away.

IA

I only have something obvious to add here, but just in case…

I see a downpipe going into the concrete there, do you know how far below the concrete the drain is? I’d be taking care with the smashing round that bit, extension on the piss could suggest some shady subterranean shenanigans.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Quick question please about laying some slate on a walkway…please :-)’ is closed to new replies.