Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Quick question for the Electricians
  • cheers_drive

I’m installing some low voltage LED strips in to a shop, plugging them in to a standard multi-gang extension lead. As the LED power supplies and the extension lead is already CE tested is any addition testing / certification required on the installation?
    I think not but the client says they require a certificate.

donks
    Free Member

How would you even test it?
    You could do a loop test on the extension lead but it’s not fixed wiring so pointless.
    Would you provide a cert for plugging in a table lamp… no. Kind of similar really so I think not. Tell them it’s not fixed wiring so no requirement to certificate.

cheers_drive

Thanks donks, I had already told the client pretty much what you did but he’s an arse and is insisting there should be one.
    Could do a PAT test on the main cables but they are new so there is no requirement to do so.

nickjb
    Free Member

No need for a certificate. You could PAT test the lead and transformer but if they are new and CE marked then that isn’t really needed. They will need be tested at regular intervals in the future, though.

cheers_drive

Arrrggh despite all the evidence to the contrary the client is still insisting it is tested even though there is no applicable test. I now need to find an electrician who is willing to come in and basically give a written confirmation that no testing is required.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Quick question for the Electricians’ is closed to new replies.