Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Quick question for the CX racers out there
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Do you currently use disc or canti brakes? Next bike, disc or canti? Thanks.

weeble
    Free Member

Still running canti’s here, never had a problem with em.

Mate is running discs and loves em.

By the time I come to have a new bike there will be a new braking solution

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Canti’s here, no plans to change bike, if I did then it would be after this season so I’d have a better idea on the whole disk brake thing, but most likely canti’s again.

LS
    Free Member

Cantis.
    In 20+ years of racing I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve needed more braking power than I had available at the time.

I’m waiting for 135 spacing, wireless shifting and full hydros before I go to discs. I’m not naive enough to think that I’ll have a choice in a few years.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds like disc penetration is quite slow. Went to check out a race the other weekend and at least 9/10 were on cantis still. Though looks like a lot of manufacturers are now going disc only for their ranges. Mechanical discs do seem a sort of stepping stone stop gap thing though.

taxi25
    Free Member

Only use my cross bike for racing so canti’s for me. If I wanted a do it all bike with a bit of racing thrown in it would definitely be discs.

warton
    Free Member

disc, but it’s a do it all bike, with racing thrown in.

I will be building a race specific bike over the summer, it will have cantis.

sefton
    Free Member

I race on canti’s which are fine – but they are a bit of a pain to keep on-top of (lots of tweaking)

if I was buying my first bike tomorrow…I’d consider discs but hydro will trickle down in a few years (like shimano electronic shifting tricked down to ultergra).so will cable disc become obsolete?

hopefully less tweaking and better mud clearance would be very good reasons.

no rim wear and extra braking power would be nice too.

racers in Belgium seem to have been reluctant to move over – but I believe they will…Sven Nys has said he will change and thinks its a move forward.

I saw some pics of a recent U.S. race – all the field seemed to be on discs.

not bad looking either

make sure you take a propper look at the geometry of all these new disc cx bikes – a lot of them are not typical race geometry…they are more all rounders with slacker angles

cyclistm
    Free Member

That giant looks incredible.

crosshair
    Free Member

+1! That giant looks awesome!!!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had a quick spin on last years TCX and thought the BB felt strangely high. Have they changed it at all this year? Maybe that is just what’s needed for CX racing though. Lovely looking bike too.

Straightliner

I guess the biggest problem for most people with existing frames and canti’s is that changing to discs is not a viable option (hub spacing, fork/frame mounts for disc brakes) so it won’t be an easy ‘upgrade’ without replacing the whole bike.

I’m running discs, but that’s because I bought a bike last year with that set-up and it seemed a logical step to take given the most likely direction of CX brakes and frames.

eddie11
    Free Member

For folk who are serious about cross its not just one bike either, it’s the spare bike and a van full of spare tubular wheels. It’s going to take a long time I reckon for shift over for racing.

Edit. For me mini v’s. discs when hydro gets down to last-seasons-105-being-sold-cheap-in-merlin level

benji
    Free Member

Still running canti’s, but looking at discs, mainly so I can share wheels with my 29er mtb, and it means buying one decent set of wheels would be used for both.

As for the USA pro scene they are heavily pushed by the manufacturers where as the belgium/dutch scene isn’t as much, the only real front runner in Europe running discs is the Giant riders, with Van de Haar using the new TCX SLR, be interesting to see what Vos runs, but then again I think she would win on a postmans bike.

oldgit
    Free Member

Canti’s here, but the bikes for racing only so mothballed at the end of the season.
    Looking to go over to TRP mini V’s.
    Next bike, well I’ll be the wrong side of 55 and I’m a Giant man through and through so probably discs.
    Perfectly happy on canti’s for now.

dobo
    Free Member

My canti lock up if needed. dont really see a need for disc in the dry at a cx race at least. but the wet well yes disc would certainly be useful.
    ideally in the near future id like some hydro disc brakes with wide but light tubeless wheels/tyres. (not tubular) but all this is going to cost a load and its not like its going to make me faster round the circuit.

jonba
    Free Member

Disc as I don’t just race it. Next one would also be disc. If I was to get a pair of pure racing machines then probably cantis to open up wheel choices and fram choices as well as save weight.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thing is now alot of sales of cross-bikes are not raced just used for off-road and road so discs are very popular.LBS has sold 10 Meridas in the last few months no one races them.

sefton
    Free Member

old git – I have some TRP 8.4 (in red) for sale £55. I’ll throw in some pads for carbon wheels too

oldgit
    Free Member

sefton. I run Shimano, pretty certain these are SRAM and campagnolo pull?

Dibbs
    Free Member

My last CX bike had canti’s and my current one has discs (TRP HyRd’s). The disc’s have a much better feel and are much more consistant, the canti’s where scary in the wet.

sefton
    Free Member

they’ll work on both but yep they are better for sram

oldgit
    Free Member

sefton. Talked about getting a new Giant crosser tonight with my mate that’s a Giant dealer. So hold tight, deffo alright for Shimano though?

sefton
    Free Member

they’ll work but you are right the 8.4 is better for sram – don’t hold me to it though (have a quick google I seem to remember the 8.4’s are slightly newer than he other model number)

I bought them for the peaks but have since put euro x back on.

I’ll be taking some pics and getting them up for sale soon.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Quick question for the CX racers out there’ is closed to new replies.