Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quick question about kitchen prices
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Very Off Topic

What ball park figure would it cost to re fit out the average kitchen with all mod cons but not going over the top?

Ta

nickc

eleventy thousand pounds

Marmoset
    Free Member

Spent £2.5k on mine all in,£1850 to buy kitchen, £300 for tiles £100 misc costs. Got it with hob/oven/microwave/dishwasher/sink/taps – fitted it myself and paid a chippie to do the worktops, a tiler in and a plumber to connect the gas hob (all at mates rates though!)

mcboo
    Free Member

Depends of course what you mean by average. Average bespoke and fitted you dont want to know, believe me. For value for money IKEA a good place to start, I did one a few years ago from there, was great value. The hard plastic cabinets are a good option, dont crack and age like the mdf ones Lots of fairly good buy to let flats are refurbed with them and look pretty good. Couldnt tell you a price though.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Had ours done last year. Had it all done by one company. Including a bit of building work, re-plastering everything, rewiring the kitchen, re-routing the gas pipes having moved the gas meter from inside to outside and spunking £1200 on a cooker it was around £10k all in. They supplied the trades folk (except the plumber), designed, built and fitted the kitchen. I supplied and fitted the wall and floor tiles, did the boxing in of the pipes and the painting/finishing.

Very happy with how it all worked out – added some nice touches that I may not have thought of if I'd attempted/done the design myself.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

Our house is on the market but it needs the kitchen updated as a couple of recent viewers have said.

Do we spend the money and up the value of the house or keep the house price realistic as it is for the new owners to do the work?

Ours is the only detatched house in the area with country side views but we've priced it £10-£15k lower than the updated middle of the estate semis nearby.

What would you do?

mcboo
    Free Member

Ah well thats a different question. A lick of paint and a good tidy up is one thing but I can see no sense in doing major work to a place prior to a sale. Its one thing to buy a wreck and do it all up for a profit but anyone who doesnt buy your house because it needs a new kitchen isnt serious. Why cant they do it themselves in the way they want?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Based on the experience of a few friends who've been in a similar position when selling, your best bet is to spend 2/2.5k fitting the cheapest 'netural' looking kitchen you can in the existing space using the cheapest 'neutral' wall tiles and flooring you can find – you'll get that money back (and probably more)….. no point spending any more or doing any major works/rearrangements because the new owners will rip it out anyway within 6 months and fit something else!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Don't do it – other people have different tastes to you. Particularly if it's a fancy detached house, people will surely want a fancy expensive kitchen to match?

Joe

bristolbiker
    Free Member

The ultimate question is how much below your asking price are the buyers offering based on the kitchen not being to their liking? Compare that to fitting a cheap, but shiny, kitchen that will tempt them in and potentially get more people interested, strengthening your position as seller. If the difference between the two is enough to justify the hastle of chossing/fitting the kitchen (and all the 'little bits of extra work' that starting something like that may reveal) and delaying selling the house then it's worth doing. If not then, er it's not.

Tough call either way, as I guess in your head you want to just sell the house and move on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Quick question about kitchen prices’ is closed to new replies.