Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quick Q on changing tubeless tryes
  • mos

I finally swapped to tubeless tyres 3 weeks ago using joes tubeless rim strips & goo. Now in my infinate wisdom i have just ordered some new Roval wheels. So, is it possible to just take the tyres off the old wheels & slip them straight on to the tubeless ready roval wheels & carefully keep the tyres upright to keep the spooge in? Or do i have to accept that it’s gonna end up all over the floor & buy a new bottle?

neilwheel
    Free Member

I’d be impressed if you didn’t spill any.

drofluf
    Free Member

If you’re careful it’s doable. Depends how hard it is to get the old tyres off. I use a syringe to suck the fluid out of the tyre on the old wheel before transferring to the new wheel.

If you have to move the rimstrips across make sure you don’t tear them. I ended up with a pinhole on mine which didn’t seal and took ages to find (but fixed with a patch). If your wheels are tubeless ready you might not need the rimstrip, I don’t know as I’ve never used tubeless ready rims!

Northwind

Pretty easy not to spill. But for getting it into the new tyre it’s much easier to use a big syringe or squeezy bottle to sook it up then transfer it, rather than trying to pour it. The wee bottles of sealant work well for this actually. Hang it up and let it puddle in the bottom. You’ll have some wastage though so you’ll probably want to top up the new tyre a little.

(I always hose out the old tyre to stop the tubeless spunk drying in the tyre)

brassneck

Don’t do it in the kitchen, if you want to live.

timmys

I asked a related question recently that might be worth thinking about (or not);

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cleaning-tyre-beads-of-tubeless-gunk-when-swapping-to-new-rims

chip
    Free Member

If you were swapping new tyres on to the old wheel I would say dump it and start again as It is easy to suck up the fluid but I find a large amount of the fibrous crap stays in the tyre and that is what seals any holes.
    But as you are using the same tyres I would try to siringe up as much of the fluid as possible and leave any crap what does not come out in the tyre in there then add the old juice with some more new once the tyre is fitted.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Easy peezy switching tyres from one rim to another keeping the fluid in.

I’ve taken a folding tyre off and turned it around and reinfated it a couple of times no problem (after putting it on the wrong way around)

…and to top that… A few weeks ago after coming back from the alps I took my dual plys off, scooped out the fluid and put it into my folding summer tyres and inflated these with a track pump. Did front and back in under 20min before a club ride. I was very chuffed with that one 🙂

chip
    Free Member

I have found non tlr tyres go on super easy but any tlr tyres I have had to wrestle on.
    But as the tyres are not new may go on easier even if tlr.

shermer75
    Free Member

Entirely possible, depending on how much goo is left in there. After 3 years there might not be that much. However, there tyres will already be sealed so you can still use them even if there is no goo left (while the seals with watery fairy liquid solution will help here) but they won’t offer the same level of puncture protection, obvs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Quick Q on changing tubeless tryes’ is closed to new replies.