Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • quick power tool switch wiring question?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

can anyone tell me how the switch in this old elu planer should be wired please?

the guy I got it from had taken it to pieces (faulty switch apparently, planer would’nt turn off) and the pic is how I received it. i’ve taken the switch to pieces and cleaned the contacts but just wanted to double check the wiring.

the switch has four terminals, or two pairs marked 1 on one side and 2 the other.

thanks

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

According to mine the live from the lead goes to the top right terminal and neural from the lead goes the top left terminal.

The bottom right and left terminals connect to a circuit board. The bottom right terminal a short wire connected to the right hand side of the circuit board and the bottom left terminal to an even shorter wire connected to the left hand side of the circuit board.

Disclaimer : your Elu planer might not be the same. I am not an electrician I am a carpenter.

And yes I did open mine up to have a look……that’s the sort of helpful guy I am 😀 Although with just 4 screws it’s no big deal tbh.

wwaswas

with just 4 screws it’s no big deal tbh.

I bet you could only find three holes to put them in when you reassembled it 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks ernie, its a 70’s tool though (mff40) and there is no circuit board. the power goes straight into teh switych then the two leads into the other two connectors. i’m just not sure what ones.

neilwheel
    Free Member

If you get it wrong it will go backwards then.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t you mean MFF80 ? Mine is about 30 years old. The circuit board is only a tiny one. Still if yours isn’t the same that doesn’t help ! 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

there is normally a capacitor on the motor side of the switch. Got a wider view photo and one of the switch showing any markings?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

its definitely an elu mff_40, its a big old metal beast of a plane a bit like a skil 100 which is another one that i love and look for to buy. i like the old planers.

anyhow, here is the switch…

Cougar

Pair of wires in the top two, other pair of wires in the bottom two, job jobbed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

its a big old metal beast of a plane a bit like a skil 100 which is another one that i love and look for to buy. i like the old planers.

Presumably not to use ? Most of my power tools (except circular saw & cordless) are over 30 years old and I am perfectly happy with all but one. In fact in the case of my Elu compound mitre saw I consider it to be superior to contemporary equivalents. The one exception is my Elu electric planer, and I am now actively looking at replacing it despite the fact that it works fine.

Today’s electric planers are much better than what was available 30/40 years ago. The Elu planer has a surprisingly poor ergonomic design, it’s heavy, and changing the blades is a time consuming pain in the arse. Modern electric planes are better designed, lighter, and blade changing is easy.

The other exception is circular saws. Old Skil saws were heavy, dangerous, unstable, and gutless. Modern circular saws in comparison are a joy to use.

But my 30+ year old Elu router, Bosch jigsaw, Hilti drill, sanders, etc, are all fine.

IMO of course.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

that was the fix guys, powered up and off beautifully… and just one slight electric shock because i’m an idiot and touched a terminal when i was testing the switch before installing!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘quick power tool switch wiring question?’ is closed to new replies.