Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Quick poll…30t or 32t front ring on a 29er..?
  • PolisherMan

Just about to push the button on a new Solaris. Oh, the 1st world stress of choice in this world of bike standard uncertainty!! 😉
    So wadda you use up front? 11-42 cassette. I’m going 1×11 (or 12), well probably not 12, cos I’m not rolling in dosh..
    The demo Solaris had a 30t front ring, which is what Cotic supply all their bikes with.
    Just felt it span out a bit quick on the flat.
    I guess I’m pretty quick on a bike, but it’s my do everything bike, from bikepacking to big Lakeland loops, to having it’s week of hooing in Spain.

Yes I know i’m stressing this and I could always buy a different size later… 😉

gkeeffe

I’m 30T on a 27.5 generally ride the Lakes. Would even go lower if I could.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

30 here, do spin out occasionally but can get up most stuff on it, also lakes based

oldnpastit

Cambridgeshire? 32t.
    Anywhere else? 30t, or even lower.

chilled76
    Free Member

Depends how much steep climbing you normally do.

Also how tall and heavy are you?

Standard response you will get is 32t oval.

Personally run 30t on my peak district bike.

I run a 38t on my xc bike but have a 26t to back that up. Rarely ever use the 26 though.

chilled76
    Free Member

Depends how much steep climbing you normally do.

Also how tall and heavy are you?

Standard response you will get is 32t oval.

Personally run 30t on my peak district bike.

I run a 38t on my xc bike but have a 26t to back that up. Rarely ever use the 26 though.

PolisherMan

It will live in the Pennines. I love a big climb me…

Woodentop
    Free Member

32T with a 10-42 cassette, riding in the Lakes. Originally had a 30T on but found you were going that slow with it you had no momentum to get over things!

uselesshippy
    Free Member

32, but a Surrey dwelling slacker. It’s does go to wales, and other places with proper climbs, and sometimes I do wish for a lower gear.

PolisherMan

Yeah, tried the 11-46 briefly. And for me personally I don’t get it. Legs spinning at a million miles an hour and no speed. So you just down to 2nd gear with 37t. Me not understand, but then I don’t do “social spinning” 😉

cp

totally depends on usage… I use anything from 30-36

However, given that’s it’s your do anything bike, with bikepacking and lakes mentioned I’d be going for 30 or 32… or get a couple and swap as needed – maybe a 30 and a 36..?

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

I run a 28 oval on my 29er. Got a 9-44 cassette. Ride all over southern uk/alps with that. Like to have the low gear for long tired climbs. Top end is fine too as I tend to ride off road down hill, so not really pedalling.

rudedog
    Free Member

36 oval with 11-42 on my Bandit 26

Ride mostly the pentlands and can do puke hill which is as steep as I want to go!

chakaping
    Free Member

32t should be ok if you are a strong climber.

Mine has a 30t I think, but I could probably just about get away with 32t.

And I’m only an adequate climber, if I am honest.

binners

I live on a 25% gradient. Due to this, and other surrounding steep hills, I employ an ingenious system which allows me to switch from one larger front ring to a smaller one,and vice versa, depending on the Terrain, Ann whether I’m going up or down

I’m considering marketing it as a solution to this kind of thing. I’m constantly amazed that it hasn’t caught on 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

30t with a 42-10 on my 29er. I started if with a 32t but on longer rides I started to spend to much time on the 42t ring 🙁
    When I get back into riding a bit more and loose some weight (hopefully) the 32t will go back on. No way I would use a 30t with a 11-42 it would be much to spinny for me on pedally downhills and the road.

taxi25
    Free Member

30t with a 42-10 on my 29er. I started if with a 32t but on longer rides I started to spend to much time on the 42t ring 🙁
    When I get back into riding a bit more and loose some weight (hopefully) the 32t will go back on. No way I would use a 30t with a 11-42 it would be much to spinny for me on pedally downhills and the road.

taxi25
    Free Member

taxi25
    Free Member

taxi25
    Free Member

30t with a 42-10 on my 29er. I started if with a 32t but on longer rides I started to spend to much time on the 42t ring

taxi25
    Free Member

30t with a 42-10 on my 29er. I started if with a 32t but on longer rides I started to spend to much time on the 42t ring

taxi25
    Free Member

wilburt
    Free Member

36 front 36 rear.

I did have one of those ingenious systems mentioned above but never used the granny ring.

Did I mention I live in East Anglia?

wilburt
    Free Member

36 front 36 rear.

I did have one of those ingenious systems mentioned above but never used the granny ring.

wilburt
    Free Member

36 front 36 rear.

wilburt
    Free Member

36 front 36 rear.

Poopscoop

28 Oval here. 10-42 cassette.

I’m on the verge of going to a 30 Oval soon as I’m a bit fitter than when I really did need the 28.

I like Oval, so do my knees.

Poopscoop

mrmo
    Free Member

34 x 11-42 in Cotswolds. currently in Verbier and it would be fine if i didn’t have a f******* cold!!! Although a little lacking at higher speeds.

Kuco

32 oval and 10-42 cassette on 27.5

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

32 on a 29er in the Lakes here… but I keep thinking about dropping to a 30 or possibly 28… or an oval thingy.

I get off and walk quite a lot 😉

I am also lacking in fitness at the moment….

cookeaa

I’m currently using 32t with 11-40 on 26″ wheels, I was planning to use the same cassette with a 30t when I move to 29″ this winter…

The calcs I did a while back suggested that 30t it’s would still be a bit harder but should be manageable, the same range offset by about 1.5 “gear inches” if it’s a real problem I’ll go for an 11-42 cassette down the line…

eddie11
    Free Member

30 on one 32 on the other. could probably do 32 on both but I’ve bought it now.

Davesport

I’ve just converted from 2 by 10 to 1 by 11 on my Solaris with 32T up front. I spin out a lot in top and could easily run a 36. I’d go 34 as a minimum 😀

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I run a 34t on my 12sp and 29″ wheels.
    Seems really good

mikertroid
    Free Member

Min 32 up front and 10-42 back. Haven’t found a slope that combo won’t get me up. 30 and 10-42 on my old bike was too low.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

32T oval and 10-42 rear here on the Sarf Downs.

joemmo
    Free Member

1×11 generally means a compromise at one end, generally I would prioritise maintaining the gear you want to push up hill at the end of a hard day rather than the one you wish you had to pedal that bit faster on the easy bits.

FWIW if you have a SRAM chainset with 94bcd then you can get the steel X-Sync rings for about £10 each so cheap to swap or try different ratios.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

36t x 11-40 XTR on my xc 29er, ride in a hilly area. Got me up and around 80km / 1800m of Afan trails absolutely fine yesterday. 😀

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Quick poll…30t or 32t front ring on a 29er..?’ is closed to new replies.