Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Quick poll (roadie content).
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

Here’s mine… I went for the matt black frame… Classy!

convert

I notice barely any difference between removeable ones and ‘proper’ ones so long as they’re fitted right.

Is that for you or the person sat a foot or two off your rear wheel? I’ve always found following a full guard (preferably with of those daft looking flaps) a much cleaner experience and tend to seek them out in the group.

I was a member of a club where you’d get tuned away from the Sunday chain gang without full guards. Clip ons did not cut it. It did feel a bit like being a member of a fussy golf club mind and excruciatingly embarrasing when some old boy in charge turned away keen youthful potential members on their first ride for not having the right kit. I know why but still…

fasthaggis

For me ,there is nothing like that first spring ride on the good bike.
    Hidden away in the attic over the dark months,everything ready ,no faffing ,just pump up the tyres and go.
    😉

clubber
    Free Member

Is that for you or the person sat a foot or two off your rear wheel.

My race blades cover just as far at the rear – it’s only really the section between the stays that’s effectively ‘missing’ on temporary guards. The additional flap that some fit does help but that’s not specific

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve used both the Crud road racer and SKS Race Blades and find them both useful but the larger size Race Blades are easiest to get on with if they’ll fit.

Kryton57

mudshark – Member
    I’ve used both the Crud road racer…

The “floating” one’s?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Use my Parlee all year round, no guards neithers… Don’t like any extra weight on my bike, ride it like you stole it, get dirty if the roads are dirty, get wet when it rains.. Whatever.

Ride it hard.

Kryton57

bikebuoy

After I calmed down I thought about this in an MTB context for a minute – so how many years / winters have you been riding through and how quick is everything wearing out?

I can’t be as fast as MTB’s in the mud surely*?

‘cept brake pads

mudshark
    Free Member

The “floating” one’s?

Yep, they’re OK but with 25c tyres can start rubbing at times. I’m currently using one on the front with an SKS on the rear as can’t fit the SKS to my forks. Quite a good combi actually!

tomhoward

Got some crud raceguards mk2 from the lbs the other month, was in there last week saying I still hadn’t fitted them. The response?

‘for the love of God don’t fit them!’
    ‘why?’
    ‘you’ll go mad trying to fit them, then on the first ride realize they don’t work!’
    ‘oh, what shall I do with them then?’
    ‘Bring them back and we’ll swap em for sks raceblade longs!’
    [inner monologue] win!

edhornby
    MrSmith
    Free Member

Use my Parlee all year round, no guards neithers… Don’t like any extra weight on my bike, ride it like you stole it, get dirty if the roads are dirty, get wet when it rains.. Whatever.

Ride it hard.

So you ride on your own then? If you ride in a group then guards are a must. I ride my pegoretti year round and much prefer not getting a soaking from my own wheels or others.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Work colleague has the Dolan winter bike, he’s really impressed with it and I must say I am considering one. Thing is, I really need to shift my FS in order to fund one………………and shift the 26er H/T in order to fund a 29er H/T. Why is life so complicated…..? 😐

titusrider
    Free Member

Another ride my best(ok only) bike in all weathers without guards.

Used to only ride alone but recently joined a club and had a couple of comments. I’m far from the only one though and frankly feel disinclined to get any. I guess I’m a selfish ass 🙂

TiRed

I ride a fixed road bike with full SKS guards. Am also looking for a used Giant SCR for winter duties, as this will also take full guards. The raceblades aren’t bad, but nothing like as good as the full chromoplastics. The black ones are almost invisible anyway, and I’ve saved the weight by swapping out other components. I found the lack of rear wheel coverage on the raceblades gave a good soaking from the rear wheel across the front derailleur. And I’m the most popular person on our wet club rides.

I don’t like a mouthful of gritty water or an abrasive eyebath when out in a group.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A quick question, I’ve some chromoplastics (p35, the narrowest ones), will they fit under long drop brakes or are they only good for canti brakes?

Seems like a good starting point for a build seeing as I haven’t got a bike for them after upgrading the tourer to 32c’s ……………

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, they fit fine under long drop brakes.

TiRed

… with 25c tyres

stratman
    Free Member

I fitted race guards to my defy to keep the crap off the front mech and me. It worked, and I can’t feel the difference.

Ps I’ve also got a steel bike with full guards that I commute on

brooess
    Free Member

Group riding without mudguards is dangerous for the rider behind as well as discourteous. Face full of gritty water is distracting at the very least and can temporarily blind people when it’s really bad.
    As said above, some clubs send you home without. I’m surprised not all do…

theboatman
    Free Member

Race blade longs are fine for a chain. Nay sayers aren’t riding chains. The pricks.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Race blade longs are fine for a chain. Nay sayers aren’t riding chains. The pricks

that’s because they have no friends and/or are tediously slow.

mudshark
    Free Member

Annoyingly my club doesn’t mind if people don’t ride with mud guards, don’t even say anything though I suggest to people they should have them. At the very least they should be made to ride at the back.

Kryton57

Right I’ve gone for the Crud race guards. I’m not moving between bikes, they look stealthier and were cheaper at planet X. I’m not bothered about the extra faff for the first fitting.

Lets see how they fare….

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Quick poll (roadie content).’ is closed to new replies.