Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Quick poll: fix or replace
  • Brown
    Free Member

Spend £140 to sort out my cross bike

or put the £140 towards a new one (looking at spending £1000).

Normally, that’s easy, by my indecision’s coming from the fact that I was going to replace the bike this year anyway, but not for at least six months.

amedias
    Free Member

depends what’s broken shirley?

but I’d always fix if possible, I hate binning stuff.

fatboyjon

If the £140 spend gets you up and running again, on a sellable bike, that would be my option. Keep it running ’til you’re ready to buy the new one and flog it for anything over what it’s cost to repair.

Brown
    Free Member

It needs a few drivetrain bits and bobs. Probably sellable now, but worth under £200 anyway. £140 gets me 15% of the way towards the replacement I’m after.

faustus

£140 is cheaper than spending £860! But seriously, shop around and make the fixes if it’s a perfectly rideable bike otherwise. Think of the cost spread over the time you’ve used it…

amedias
    Free Member

Spend £140 to sort out my cross bike

+

It needs a few drivetrain bits and bobs

+

worth under £200 anyway

does not compute!

Seems a lot of money for ‘a few drivetrain bits and bobs’ unless it’s posh kit, but if you’re planning on selling anyway and its not woth much why replace it with posh bits?

What actually needs doing?

Bet we can find you some cheap options, I like a challenge 😀

Brown
    Free Member

It’s a battered frame with a corroded fork and cheap wheels – it’s not worth much!

It needs a shifter, cos it’s bust, and a mech, cos it’s bent. Other things are all consumables.

One of the reasons for replacing the drivetrain is that I’d like to get a 1:1ish cable pull. I think that 10-speed 105 has this and is the cheapest option. I’d need a cassette, chain and shifter, which I’ve found new for £110. Not looked on ebay yet.

I’m already looking at cheap cassettes and chains, but not seeing Tiagra or Sora shifters for significantly less.

chestrockwell

I’d get it usable for as little as possible with second hand parts then get a new one when you planned to.

TiRed

I’d singlespeed it, sell it, then buy a new one. N+1.

chambord
    Free Member

I’d singlespeed it, sell it, then buy a new one. N+1.

<red pen> F- See me. </red pen>

This clearly equals N

njee20
    Free Member

One of the reasons for replacing the drivetrain is that I’d like to get a 1:1ish cable pull.

Why?

Brown
    Free Member

Why?

Because I prefer it. Why not?

Singlespeed is an option, but I’m commuting through the Peaks on it daily and I’d rather be able to spin from time to time. (And not just at walking pace on the flats.)

Off to look for parts on ebay. Cheers!

njee20
    Free Member

Because I prefer it. Why not?

Can you tell a difference? Or do you just mean you want newer shifters? 😕

Brown
    Free Member

Can you tell a difference?

When I’m setting them up and keeping them running nicely whilst commuting daily through the mud, yes. Surely most people can.

Or do you just mean you want newer shifters?

You got me. I do want a new shifter because, as I said above:

it’s bust

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Quick poll: fix or replace’ is closed to new replies.