Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Quick Photoshop question.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

If I have a project with multiple layers all containing the same image. Is there a way to replace that image and have the change reflected in all the layers whilst keeping the size etc of the original?

Thanks!

binners

No, as the images in photoshop aren’t linked images. They’re just an assortment of pixels.

Just dump the layers you don’t want, then when you’ve dropped the new image in, just duplicate the layer.

If you don’t mind me asking, why have you got the same image on multiple layers?

seosamh77
    Free Member

You could convert the layer to a smart layer and then duplicate that, then you just need to edit it the smart layer psb/illy document (alt double click thumbnail on the layer panel on one of the duplicated layers to open it ) and it’ll update all linked iterations once you save. But that’s starting from scratch and setting it up as so, not retrospectively

seosamh77
    Free Member

binners – Member
    No, as the images in photoshop aren’t linked images.

smart layers are. They don’d generate a separate files though, the “linked” images are saved within the psd.

binners

As you’ve noted though, he’s not set them up as smart layers originally, and its not something you can do retrospectively. I only ever really use smart layers for vector stuff brought in from Illustrator.

Just interested to know why you’d have multiple layers with the same image on in photoshop

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye mostly vector stuff is their best use.

I do wonder the reason why it is needed too btw? just out of sheer curiosity, not something I’ve ever had to do.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Binners,

The reason is because it’s my ham-fisted method of making a repeat pattern.

I’m not sure how to do it properly so I just put my image on a layer, duplicate that, align about five of them, link them, duplicate that etc etc

😳

So for example, if I had a polka dot pattern, but wanted to change the circles to squares. At the moment I have a billion layers each with a circle on which would take FOREVER to replace. Hence my original question.

I’d be most appreciative of a better method if anyone knows?

munkyboy
    Free Member

Define the image as a pattern and bucket fill the area?

seosamh77
    Free Member

create your pattern as a separate image, then go to edit define pattern and save it(it saves it as a preset not to a location).

Now go into your psd where you want to apply the pattern, create a new layer, double click it>pattern overlay>Pattern, click the down arrow next to the default pattern.

Your pattern is at the bottom of that, and you can manipulate it a few ways.

munkyboy
    Free Member

By selecting the area. Edit /define pattern, then set bucket fill to pattern. Select pattern and away you go.

plyphon
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmb9vfrpGvQ[/video]

Do this

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thanks!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Have a read of this for the polka dot/square example this approach should work.

EDIT: What they said above.

binners

jambourgie – from the sounds of it you’d be much better off doing that in illustrator. It’d make life a damn site easier, not least as to duplicate in that manner, you just do ‘step and repeat’
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxaxpIRUNFc[/video]

seosamh77
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    create your pattern as a separate image, then go to edit define pattern and save it(it saves it as a preset not to a location).

Now go into your psd where you want to apply the pattern, create a new layer, double click it>pattern overlay>Pattern, click the down arrow next to the default pattern.

Your pattern is at the bottom of that, and you can manipulate it a few ways.

I should add you need to fill the layer with something or the pattern won’t apply.

Klunk
    Free Member

the above method works for “simpler” examples to create a tileable image you can duplicate the layer and use Filter::other::offset with half the image size used for the offset you can the correct the seams manually (eg with the clone brush) or mask through to the layer underneath along the seams. Lots of youtube tutorials.

seosamh77
    Free Member

binners – Member
    jambourgie – from the sounds of it you’d be much better off doing that in illustrator. It’d make life a damn site easier, not least as to duplicate in that manner, you just do ‘step and repeat’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxaxpIRUNFc

He’s no half making a meal of that! 😆 edit:(refereing to the second half, I fast forwarded and missed the first bit! 😆 )

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Quick Photoshop question.’ is closed to new replies.