Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Quick lunch in Edinburgh
  • bruneep

Flying visit to Edinburgh to meet son on Wednesday . He’s not commital about where is good for lunch.

He works in Hanover st, where is good near there only have an hr to eat and extract information from him. A nice pub or similar would be good and that has veggie option for Mrs b.

Thanks

bigjim

Hendersons on Hanover St is vegetarian and I think there’s a vegan bit next door now. I had dinner there recently and it was very tasty but small portions for the money.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Good luck getting in anywhere, the place is hoaching with tourists with festival in full flow.

Pubs are not great but the food is ok if over priced in Le Monde.

Other options. Cafe centro in George street is good (Italian)
    Chez jules in Hanover street does a cracking lunch deal with skirt steak and chips and peppercorn sauce (With veggie option) or send her over to Hendersons on the other side of the street and enjoy the steak…
    Also Dusit in thistle street

bruneep

I think dual venues is the way to go. Mrs b may disagree

Thanks for the info so far.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Educated Flea on Broughton Street was good a few weeks ago. The grub is a bit of a crazy mix up – they’d probably try to tell you it was fusion or some such. My veggie foodie friend suggested it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Henderson’s is ace.

dmck16
    Free Member

Cafe Andaluz, George St. Order a few plates to suit everyone?

Definitely book a table, I’ve been turned away a couple of times during the festival.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Had a graduate engineer over a couple of years ago from Madrid, she was absolutely astounded what people were paying for in cafe andaluz.

It’s worse than la tasca.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

We were here last Saturday, really enjoyed it. http://grandcrubar.co.uk/index.html

poolman
    Free Member

Nobeer – accurate observation. I ate in some lovely places mainly on the outskirts of edinburgh, thanks to recommendations on here. Compared to spain it is v expensive, my staple breakfast of 2 poached eggs, toast and coffee was c 10gbp there. My spanish breakfast of bocadillo de sepia, olives, bottle of wine (i know..), coffee is 5e.

Its not just edinburgh, its all the uk cities, any change out of 10 gbp is rare these days.

donald
    Free Member

+1 for Chez Jules.

joshvegas
    Free Member

El cartel on thistle street.

Leos beanery on howe street.

Its the festival though so “anywhere you can get in the door”

Tallpaul

Cafe Andaluz, George St. Order a few plates to suit everyone?

Exactly where I was posting to recommend!

hels
    Free Member

Good luck booking a table – a lot of places won’t take bookings during Festival **** Season, why should they when they will have a line out the door, and constant turnover ?

If you only have an hour you might be better off in Macdonalds…

ChrisHeath

Whenever we’re in Edinburgh, we always go the The Dogs, coincidentally on Hanover Street.

allfankledup

Wannaburger…

wonnyj
    Free Member

http://www.weebuddha.co.uk/

Is a great little place for thai tapas. Not far from hanover st

organic355
    Free Member
    JimmyB
    Free Member

Alas, Wannaburger is long gone and is mourned by the wife & I every Friday….we have to nip to Affogato over the road to cry into luxury gelato and waffles instead…

Quick bite try Pakora Bar on Hanover Street…it’s run by a couple of very nice brothers and although not fancy, does some pretty good Sikh home cooking….

NZCol

Dishoom up st andrew sq only short walk ?

bruneep

Thanks but some of you are not readimg the brief 😉

A nice pub or similar would be good and that has veggie option

Pulled pork for a veggie. 😐

mcmoonter
    Free Member

THe National Portrail Gallery has a great cafe. THe National Gallery has a good one too but I always find it too pricey

DougD

Cambridge bar (does some cracking burgers but good veggie options too) or el cartel

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Cambridge Bar on Thistle Street. Excellent burgers and the veggie ones always look pretty decent too.

El Cartel is excellent as mentioned above, but no bookings so may be a bit of a gamble that you’ll get a table.

vondally
    Free Member

Avoid Henderson s very very hhit and miss

Fruit market cafe near art gallery and behind Waverly station

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Quick lunch in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.