Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Quick jack shed mounting instead of concrete
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Thinking of buying an Asgard metal shed for the bikes at the OHs house when I move in next year as his shed is cheap as chips, kick it open with my foot, and his garage is full of his summer car. Rather than the expense of getting a concrete floor laid and levelled for it we spotted this kit on a YouTube video and wondered if anybody has any experience of this or similar.

http://www.simplygardenbuildings.co.uk/quickjack-pro-adjustable-shed-base-system-11398-p.asp

nickjb
    Free Member

A concrete slab will be cheaper and better. Pretty easy DIY job, it doesn’t need to be perfect. If that really does sound tricky then a few paving slabs on sand or mortar will do.

CheesybeanZ

Concrete slab , make a couple of ground anchors at the same time , sink some bolts in to secure the shed to the slab – well worth the extra work .

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    craigxxl
    Free Member

Concrete slabs is your better option. Those spikes, even with the plates, will start to sink when the ground gets wet. With slabs it will spread the load over a greater area. Plus it’s cheaper.

dobo
    Free Member

They seem pointless to me. All they appear to do is make it easier to level the shed. You still need a frame work or some support. Forget all that.
    Just flatten and compact the ground. put a sheet of weed cover down and put some pressure treated 4×4 beams down, a foot gap for heavy shed. bed them down well and use spirit level.
    shed on top. job done and cheap and moveable.
    I’ve used this method at a couple of rentals over the years and always been ok.
    need a ground anchor bury some steel rods under the 4×4 to your chain.

lovewookie

My next shed will be on a level, weed fabric covered gravelled area, but sat on old car tyres filled with soil from the levelling.

Solid enough.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I agree with dodo. The shed at my mother’s old house was done this way and is still fine over fifty years later.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got my wooden shed on treated timber and that is fine but how well would that work for a asgard? They say “Asgard sheds are constructed from galvanised metal. This makes our sheds heavy, so they MUST be built on a flat level surface of tarmac, concrete or paving slabs.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

i have got a wooden shed on gravelled area. Been there about 7 yrs and no rot, and still level.

Cheap got a builders bag of the stuff too

ianfitz
    Free Member

Concrete also offers the chance for a ground anchor too.

Saccades
    Free Member

Could use a skid of railway sleepers – bolt the metal shed onto them.

It’s not going anywhere quickly and can be moved at a later date.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Go concrete. I have done loads and it is by far the cheapest, easiest and best. My last one was 5m x 3m and 150mm deep. It cost about £200 and I mixed and laid it myself in a day.

steveoath
    Free Member

I put my asgaard on slabs. I have a bunch left if you are near Glasgow and can collect you’re welcome to them.

dobo
    Free Member

You know what im going to partially retract what ive said as ive no idea how flimsy the base of the asguard metal shed is so the floor might dip between the beams if its week?
    never had this issue with a wooden shed though. maybe slabs is preferable if you dont want to concrete.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Thanks steveoath but miles away unfortunately. The OH already had concrete and slabs laid for his flimsy shed and a path way to it and it was £500 so didn’t really wanna shell that much out but this will be smaller and we’ll do it ourselves so could be cheaper.

wwaswas

I’d move the shonky shed onto the 4×4’s that dobo outlined and put the Asguard on the existing concrete base.

I’ve got a 15×8 shed/workshop that just rests on a wooden frame – it’s 15 years old and not moved.

Saccades
    Free Member

Dobo – 4×4 might be a bit flimsy, railway sleepers on the other hand are quite used to heavy weights on them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Quick jack shed mounting instead of concrete’ is closed to new replies.