Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Quick house question (sorry).
  • bearnecessities

What’s got more ‘value’ in a purely economic sense? (in good location with nice aspect, good transport links etc.. if relevant).

A 2 bed semi, with 2 large bedrooms, one en-suite and a half decent sized bathroom.

A 3 bed semi, with 1 large bedroom, one decent sized bedroom, one ‘single’ bedroom but a good single and a bathroom that probably ‘could be bigger’ but will fit full sized bath & pan/basin.

Someone threw a spanner in the works today by pointing out how easily house being renovated could become a 3 bed, but would bring the above downsides. Kind of need to decide sharpish – for me, it’s the 2 bed with the ‘lah-de-dah’ ensuite, but I am also looking to add value to the place.

I realise this may be dependent on too many other variables, so if so please allow to quickly slip down the page 😀

yossarian
    Free Member

The 3 bed IMO.

jam-bo

3 bed

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’d normally say go for the 3 bed, but the en-suite with the 2 bed house makes it a tricky one for me. An en-suite is a wonderful thing – one of those things that once you’ve had one, you couldn’t do without it, but a 3rd bedroom does come in very handy. Tricky one, I guess i’d go for the house that just felt the nicest. I don’t think you can go wrong on the economic thing. Assuming location is equivalent between the two properties then they should increase in value by the same rate so you won’t lose out with either.

neilnevill
    Free Member

3 bed

andrewh
    Free Member

What sort of renovations are you talking about? Is it going to be fixed as 2 and 3 beds, could you change things around in one or both or is it merely redecorating?

bearnecessities

The house is blessed with one of those ‘nice’ feelings about it; the alterations wouldn’t affect it. It overlooks common ground and is very ‘homely’ in appearance and composition (even though it is gopping in how dated it is)

What was the bathroom, and was planning to stay the bathroom, has been pointed out today (by a particularly imaginative electrician!) would be better off turning into a bedroom and where the toilet is (across the landing, as was going to be the ensuite), could be turned into the bathroom by losing a few feet from the bedroom (some of which was going to be reqiured to turn into an ensuite anyhow).

It also brings cost savings as bathroom where is, needed lead removing and toilet plumbing in, which required running the waste stack around back of house, removing cast iron drainage etc.

If the bathroom was situated where crapper is now, it would be a doddle and much cheaper to install. The cost of alterations (knocking down and building new stud wall myself) would be about £300, including electrics, but before tiling.

The batchelor in me says en-suite, the economist in me says the 3 bed. I guess I’m just concerned that a small bathroom might put off buyers that are looking for a 3 bed.

allfankledup

Ask a local estate agent..?

spacemonkey

3 bed.

cinnamon_girl

Council Tax band will change.

bearnecessities

Ask a local estate agent..

Fair idea, but I’d rather average out the breadth of experience on here, which probably at this time on a Friday night, would probably equate to a strapline of “with over a million years of property experience”

EDIT:

Council Tax band will change

It’s already a C for a 2 bed 🙁

divenwob
    Free Member

3bed why have 2beds and 2 bogs??????????? Many people move in to a house thinking it will be short term, then things change and familys happen etc so 2 bed/bogs doesnt hold the same appeal surely?

divenwob
    Free Member

2 bed + bike lounge? 8)

bigG
    Free Member

Depends how the decor looks.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Depends if you can extend…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Put a commode in bed 3?

3 Bed – 2 limits it, also cost vs benfit, even if you add abit with 2 beds and a super swnaky finish, once you’ve paid for it you’ve eaten up the benefit (assuming you’re starting from 3)

Adding vaule- dorma the attic with ensuite – we did and we’ve made only lost about 10Gs….bugger.

bearnecessities

why have 2beds and 2 bogs

A very generous master bedroom, good sized bathroom and a good sized guest room with en-suite, both with walk in wardrobes. Sounds appealing to me, but then that’s the question I’m asking, is a 3 bed with only one small bathroom better?

2 bed + bike lounge?

Presently being a single man, that is clearly what one of the rooms will be. The other bedroom will have posters of Kelly Brook plastered all over it. 8)

..and yes, potential to extend sidewards and to the back, but I don’t have the money to do that. Any potential buyer in the future will hopefully see it though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why would council band change then ? Go on humour me !

divenwob
    Free Member

Any potential buyer would see the plans you have put through your LABC and pay handsomely for your efforts.£5 via ppg or transfer please.If majority vote 3 bed will you then go 2 bed ala sledge or pickaxe? 😆

bearnecessities

Any potential buyer would see the plans you have put through your LABC and pay handsomely for your efforts.£5 via ppg or transfer please.If majority vote 3 bed will you then go 2 bed ala sledge or pickaxe?

a) Spoken to BC, they don’t give a crap about a non-LB internal.

b) The axe was relatively quiet, and did the job quickly. That’s the benefit of this blessed place: Ask a question and then lots of opinions are posted – you can make your own decision from the array of experience quoted, that fits with your requirements.

..and I’m being kind by trying to decipher your moderately illiterate post 😉

divenwob
    Free Member

1) You cant afford to extend
    2) you can afford to have plans drawn up and put in to your LABC for permission (ie for the extra bedroom/s etc to side and or rear)
    3)Once plans have passed you should able to go with your 2 bed shag palace, and satisfy your requirements of never being too far from the toilet, hopefully you can reason this idea to any prospective buyer,explaining that he could add a bedroom (and maybe even value) by using the plans which have already been passed.
    4)£10 fee now you ignorant git! Maybe you could listen to the advice you have asked for?

bearnecessities

1) You cant afford to extend
    2) you can afford to have plans drawn up and put in to your LABC for permission
    3)Once plans have passed you should able to go with your 2 bed shag palace, and satisfy your requirements of never being too far from the toilet, hopefully you can reason this idea to any prospective buyer,explaining that he could add a bedroom (and maybe even value) by using the plans which have already been passed.
    4)£10 fee now you ignorant git! Maybe you could listen to the advice you have asked for?

What’s your problem fella?! I don’t honestly understand what your beef is, with what I’ve asked?

divenwob
    Free Member

No problem, just trying to give you a way to increase the value of your house.Why so abrupt I was trying to be jovial with the ppg/transfer etc. Have been in the construction trade all of my working life,if I can help I will,just look past your needs and ask an estate agent.

pjm84
    Free Member

3 bed.

bearnecessities

Have been in the construction trade all of my working life,

I honestly CBA for an argument, but I’ve already said building control approval is not required for a non load-bearing wall, having already asked them.

divenwob
    Free Member

No arguement intended, I am suggesting that the easiest way to put value on the property is to get planning permission for an extension.
    You do not need to follow through with the building of said extension as the budget will not allow for this as you have stated.But you would have to go through your LABC.
    You said any prospective buyer would hopefully see the potential,if you have done the above,the property will be marketed with full planning permission,therefore unmissable.
    I really hope you understand what I am trying to explain to you, either way no harm implied and good luck with whatever route you take.

cinnamon_girl

Why would council band change then ? Go on humour me !

trail_rat – I think you should be humouring me! Got that completely wrong didn’t I. 😳

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

2 beds and 2 baths–1 bath in a 3-bed house is kinda primitive!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Quick house question (sorry).’ is closed to new replies.