Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Quick (hopefully) gear set up question
  • offpiste
    Free Member

Fitted 1×10 stuff a few weeks ago, SLX cassette, Zee mech, Zee shifter. Shifting was quite good then went off a bit presumably due to cable stretch. Re tensioned cable, shifting then was ok apart from would go straight from 2nd to 4th sprocket. Re tensioned again, original problem now gone but now shifts straight from 8 to 10, can get back to 9 with a small push on lever (i.e not so far that it clicks). There is no last shifter click available when it reaches 10 (I would expect there to be as I only tried to shift to 9 in theory), have I done something fundamentally wrong? I think limit stops are ok, could it be to do with B tension?

medoramas
    Free Member

Is it some “cheap & cheerful” cable?

offpiste
    Free Member

Cable inner was new with shifter, will check outer though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got a new-ish Zee shifter, i came with a cable so thick you could have hauled a trawler-net with it.

swapped for a bog-standard 1.whatever (thin) shimano gear cable and everything works much better.

B tension: i’ll not claim any great authority on this, but i found that shifting improved if i wound out the b tension screw until the top jockey wheel started grumbling against the cassette, and then wound it back in a turn or 2.

Speshpaul

too tight on the tension?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Is the cable inner definitely clamped under the correct side of the bolt on the clamp?

offpiste
    Free Member

Thanks for replies, will check tonight.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

if it indexes properly at one and of the cassette but not the other, i’d be checking the mech hangar alignment

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Quick (hopefully) gear set up question’ is closed to new replies.