Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Quick engine smoke question.
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Hello,
    Went to look at a new (to me) van today. 2004 Transit, 87k miles
    When I arrived the engine was warm (but not hot), probably been run 3-4hrs earlier.
    I opened the filler cap and a small amount of thin white smoke came from within, not a lot.
    Went for a drive in it and liked it, all seems well with it and it’s a good price.
    However, he did seem fairly (too?) keen to sell it. The only thing that stopped me shaking on the deal was this puff of smoke. Am I being paranoid or is there something up with it? No similar smoke from my car when it’s warm but it’s a very different engine.
    If there is a problem I don’t need an detail on how to fix it, just need to know if I should walk away or buy it on Monday.
    Thanks in advance guys.

althepal

Hmm.. Not sure bout diesels (I’m guessing) but would occasionally get similar with old minIs after a hard run/hot engine.. Did you check the oil level? Get someone to look at the exhaust gasseswhile revving it hard?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mine did that (01) Check the coolant for signs of oil though.

In general though check:
    The hoses round the intercooler and that for any drips (300 to replace new)
    Wheel bearings and brake discs (font ones come off together 🙁 )
    Ask about fuel pump – some had an issue
    Lost the power steering pump on mine but that was just one of those things
    Apart from that no real issues, sold mine on at 250k for 750 in Feb this year. Bits of rust but nothing terminal.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks guys.
    Oil level was fine.
    No cloud of smoke when I started it and not under hard acceleration either, seemed to pull fine, no funny noises.
    Comes with warrenty but it’s a one-man band dealer so it’s only as good as he is really.

tarquin
    Free Member

Go back and try and see it from cold, haggle him on the price a bit more then.

Is it the kind of place where it was run just to move it out on the lot first thing in the morning/juggle the cars around?

A decent test drive of 10-20 miles should show any fault I would think?

From memory the Transits at work weren’t too bad reliability wise, the cables that open the doors broke a bit/doors jammed but this was from abusing them a bit really. Gearsticks tended to develop a little play if it was the floor type with the massive long gearstick.

andrewh
    Free Member

It’s a good hour and half away so a bit tricky to just pop round for another look.
    It wasn’t hot, so he hadn’t been running it just before I arrived, just slightly warm, so it was some time before, so I don’t think he’s hiding any starting problems.
    It was a very small yard so he could easily have had to move it, although it was at the back, you would think he would move it to the front if he knew someone was coming to see it. How long do engines keep their oil warm for when they’ve just been around a yard rather than a long drive?
    Test drive was about 20 mins, did a 70mph blast along a main road then back through the town. Steering, clutch, brakes etc all fine.
    He pointed out one problem and said a replacement was imminent (steering pump belt) as soon as I opened the bonnet, way before I’d chance to spot it (doubtful that I would have done TBH).

andrewh
    Free Member

Moot point now, just bought an LPG powered LWB Connect, should save a few quid in fuel. Scruffy but functional I think is the polite way to decribe it…

Thanks for your help.

BrickMan

+1 on transit wheel bearings. Every one I know who run’s one (2000>2010) with any sort of load in them what so ever, front bearings (and then shafts) go at some point or other.

spooky_b329

That transit had probably been for short drive, they take an age to warm up just idling/moving about the yard.

On the Connect, the early models had an issue with abnormal tyre wear, the inside edges of the front tyres could wear through to the tyre carcass so have a quick check if you haven’t already.

andrewh
    Free Member

3 good tyres (with pretty even wear) one about on the limit. No spare, that’s where the gas tank is. Going to buy a new wheel & tyre, and keep the iffy one as the spare in the boot.
    It’s far from perfect but it was cheap!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Quick engine smoke question.’ is closed to new replies.