Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Quick electrician question ….. nuggett content.
  • lasty
    Free Member

I know i should turn off the power at the trip box but for various reasons this aint possible – garage/key oversight … 😳

I need to change a light fitting but cant get to the main trip ..
    Would it be ok to just turn off the light on the wall switch and do the work or will i die ??
    ALSO …. Got one of those light-up-when-its-live wands. Can it be trusted ??

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends on the age of the house and the wiring set up.

i know mines would be fine due to the way its wired – i still wouldnt do it though.

the way it was wired up originally in the 1950s the fitting would still be live even if the switch was off…

nellyp
    Free Member

You will die! The house is probably wired with with a live neutral and earth going from fittin to fitting. Then a switch wire is dropped to the switch.

BUT there is always a live wire at the fitting/ceiling rose. Take care!

jota180
    Free Member

Do take precautions to stop anyone else wandering in and toggling the light switch when you’re working on it, won’t you?

lasty
    Free Member

Im the only one in at the moment so no chance of anyone messing.

I`m my own worst enemy at times though …. 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

is it really that important.

even worse if your the only one in – your partner finds you lying on the floor having fallen off the ladder and smashed your head due to the shock of being shocked…..

really – it can wait.

turin
    Free Member

first of all please please dont trust the wand thing.

Second, unless you know what your doing or looking for (and without any disrespect it doesnt sound as if you do) please dont. There is a chance that there is just a switchwire and neutral at the light fitting or there could be a permanent live there. Best/safest thing to do is wait till you can gat to your consumer unit.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

What can be that important that it can’t wait?

lasty
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads-up folks..

Just had an hour to kill ( :roll:) and thought id replace the fitting in the bedroom as its an old brass thing and is getting tempremental, deffo not the bulb – tried that, so next step is the holder. Im ok with mechanical stuff but this elec-trickery nonsense is the cycling equivilent of “dark side” to me …
    Looks like another romantic night with bedside lamps, she`ll be soooo pleased but she took the key to work so – Ill take the sound advice and do it tomorra …

Thanks again

footflaps

I often work on electrics live, saves resetting all the clock radios. Had more shocks than I can recall, but nought worse than a numb arm for a few minutes (with the exception of melting the end off one finger when I shoved it in a light fitting at the age of three).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wasnt just me tht thought when being shocked by some bad wiring by a previous owner – thats not as bad as its made out to be.

Although bad enough i had the whole house rewired.

Not machoistic enough to repeat it though

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Quick electrician question ….. nuggett content.’ is closed to new replies.