Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Quick elecrtical safty question.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

So following on from THIS thread I have purchased two LED downlighters, tonight I thought I would get the holes drilled in the (non insulated) roof void. I wanted two lights over a span of 101″, so I measured twice, divided by 3 (twice) & cut the holes, first one great, but on the second one I hit a 4×2 joist 🙁
    So I looked, bearing in mind I’m already through the plastic claded ceiling, & it only looked as if I had gone over by a few MM, so I carried on, turns out I cut out 1/2″ of the joist & I needed to go up 3 of the 4″ so the lamp fitting would sit in the hole.

My actual question is will it be safe to have a light fitting so close to the joist in an uninsulated outdoor roof void as I have no idea how much heat a 240v 4w led lamp emits?

I’m guessing it will be fine, but I appreciate any experts views on the matter.

Many thanks
    2u2r.

footflaps

how much heat a 240v 4w led lamp emits

4w ie bugger all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id be happy.

I had a similar thought when i was sticking the, up in a ply roof in the garage. Then i realised my grandad has about 50 of halogens in his sitting room and dining room with his 80s wood clad roof

pjm84
    Free Member

Beat me to it!….. Far less then the old R80s.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks FF, si I take it these house LED’s don’t produce anything like the heat my bike one does when stationary then?

Cheers.

footflaps

If the LED is rated at 4Watts then that’s the max power it can consume. 4W is bugger all, esp outside where it’s cold and there are draughts etc….

Wood / paper catches fire at 451 Fahrenheit (thanks to Ray Bradbury), which is very hot!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

What’s 451F in watts then? 😉

PePPeR

Martin, got no idea about your lighting, but I did message you about the welly situation. Only girly coloured size nines available!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hi Rich, I replied to your message straight away, I think the problem is FB, have you lost my email addy? (It’s in my profile)

Cheers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Quick elecrtical safty question.’ is closed to new replies.