Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Quick, easy, and good coffee when camping. Options
  • welshfarmer

Having broken my little Bodum cafetiere on my last camping trip I am in the market for a new device to prepare a decent brew while on the move. Weight not an issue as it will sit in the back of the Land Rover. Not wanting a glass based cafetiere again and aware that there are better solutions now available.

What can anyone recommend (from personal experience) that does the job, doesn’t take 2 hours to operate, will work anywhere in any situation, won’t break the bank, and is clumsy farmer proof?????

tom200

I would say an aeropress is what you want.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

+1 for Aeropress

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Starbucks Via for ultimate light weight (which I see you aren’t after as I read the post). Otherwise Aeropress. Excellent coffee and super easy and quick. And plastic. Vastly easier and much quicker than a moka pot.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the aeropress, but if you like cafetierre coffee just get a stainless one.

spyke
    Free Member

aeropress

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Starbucks Via for ultimate light weight (which I see you aren’t after as I read the post). Otherwise Aeropress. Excellent coffee and super easy and quick. And plastic. Vastly easier and much quicker than a moka pot.

Rule one of sales. Big up your own product, don’t diss the competition. The customer isn’t stupid.

tjagain

For me its the jetboil with french press attachment. 18g extra weight for the french press bit. Jetboil boils the water qui9cker than anything else I have used and is very convenient. I take ground coffee in little plastic bags in measured doses

When I am prepared to take a bit more weight I use a bialletti “espresso” machine which makes great coffee but in 25 ml doses. Its a minature stovetop gadget that comes with a very cute demi tasse tin mug

molgrips
    Free Member

Wot?

CraigW
    Free Member

For lightweight and simple, just get an metal filter that goes in your mug. eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/QCK-Coffee-Bean-Tea-Filter/dp/B002XW0F6W

(Or the MSR Mugmate is the same thing, but costs twice as much)

chewkw
    Free Member

Presse by Bobble

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBgOwY5kgO4[/video]

The silicon gasket might smell a bit when new but I am not bothered.

Very good and simple to use. 😛

I saw this pop up on Facebook and was thinking I might give it a try…

https://the-oomph.com

brooess
    Free Member

Quick, easy, and good coffee when camping.

Find a good coffee shop. Pitch your tent outside. Easy.

tjagain

My favourite camping gadget. the coffee from it is good

matt_outandabout

They also make a portable hand bean grinder that fits inside it.

(Our favourite thing on a days canoeing, it’s even been up a munro recently)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TJ, do you have a link to that, or what is it called? I’ve always fancied one as I never trust (or rather, judge when it’s done before it’s burnt) my moka pot.

Turkish style?

Or stainless cafetiere.

Or a Moka pot.

Depends what sort of coffee you like? I quite like the luxury of espresso when bivi’d. Oddly I’m not fussed when camping!

km79
    Free Member

tjagain

tinas – its a bialetti mini express. Lovely little thing makes 25 ml at a time. Mines 20 years old but they are stillavailable on ebay and the like

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I read about putting a spoon of decent coffee in a filter paper and tying it with chefs string. Put in mug pour hot water over and allow infusion.

10 Methods: Making Coffee In The Great Outdoors

tjagain
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Or for the more snobbish…

I prefer the Lyons, use them all the time at work & have converted a fair few staff over. They weigh about twice as much as a teabag.
    Ok, so making a cup isn’t a ritual like using an Aeropress etc but It tastes good to me.

tillydog
    Free Member

Coffee, you say? Camping?

Quick, easy, and good… doesn’t take 2 hours to operate, will work anywhere in any situation, won’t break the bank, and is clumsy farmer proof

Oh so close…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Gsi make a version of the bialatti mini tj. Works well used to use mine all the time at hone

bodgy
    Free Member

‘Stellar’ make very good stainless steel, double walled cafetieres. I’ve had one in my workshop for about six years, still looks like new. Pricey though, about £50, but you only have to drop it once and it’s paid for itself, i figure.

bob_summers

Aeropress – I keep one in the back of the van with a meths Trangia and hand grinder. Possibly the slowest way to make coffee but when camping I’m up an hour before anyone else so it’s a nice peaceful ritual. Also comes in handy at services on the way, if we stop in an aire with no cafe, day down the beach or whatever. The bottle of meths lasts forever.

jonny-m
    Free Member

+1 for the Lyons Coffee bags.

As good as without all the faff

Edukator
    Free Member

km79 has it. The lighter the pack the more enjoyable the camping trip. If I’m walking more than 20km a day then the stove is only put in the pack if it’s the only way of getting drinking water.

bumper
    Free Member

joshvegas
    Free Member

Aeropress with a metal filter here

Coffee is stored in the plunger which i insert upside down when packing.

Bialletti sometimes if its in the car but its more faffy and can be a bit sketchy on a camp stove unless its totally flat.

Sachets if weight is a reall issue

thenorthwind

If weight is really an issue I make coffee “cowboy style:” Put ground coffee in mug. Add hot water. Stir. Wait 5 minutes. Grounds have sunk to bottom (a few taps on the side helps. Drink, leaving last 1/2 inch in bottom of mug. Works for me because I like my coffee strong and black anyway. You may get the odd speck of grounds, but this is camping, not a hotel.

Cost: £0
    Extra weight: 0g

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Aeropress definitely.

Or check out Sudden Coffee.

ransos
    Free Member

km79 has it. The lighter the pack the more enjoyable the camping trip.

That very much depends on the sort of camping you’re doing. If I’m with my family for a couple of weeks, I want some creature comforts.

benp1

Aeropress will work very well for you, I don’t take mine out the house though (and mostly drink Kenco Millicano at home 😆 )

I have a GSI ultralight java drip which I sometimes take on camping trips, very quick to use and very easy to clean up. It’s basically just a coffee filter

Coffee bags are also a nice idea as it’s so easy to do

Yak

Mocha pot for me. Good coffee anytime. Had it since 2004 and used on every camping trip since. Only needed a few seals in that time for pennies.

nedrapier

I’ve been using one of these for 10 years, at home and out and about.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SwissGold-Coffee-Filter-reusable-KF300/dp/B0056ZVVHA

weighs eff all, couldn’t be simpler to use, makes good coffee. Takes up some space, but you can pack stuff inside it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheers, added to the birthday wishlist!

joshvegas
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member
    I’ve been using one of these for 10 years, at home and out and about.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SwissGold-Coffee-Filter-reusable-KF300/dp/B0056ZVVHA

weighs eff all, couldn’t be simpler to use, makes good coffee. Takes up some space, but you can pack stuff inside it.

Price is a bit steep! 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Quick, easy, and good coffee when camping. Options’ is closed to new replies.