Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Quick car towbar question
  • 2tyred

I have a towbar on my soon-to-be-got-rid-of car. I want one on my new (well, used) car.

Can you swap it from one car to another (it won’t be the same kind of car) and if so, is it worth it?

I’m thinking the actual towball bit can be swapped, but the bit that attaches to the chassis of the car itself (the flange?) is specific to the car.

Anyone know?

cheers!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Almost certainly car specific but you may make say £50 by taking it off and selling it and have enough to buy a second hand replacement
    As most bolt up these days it is not that hard to fit tbh

Taking the tow ball of fis a bit pointless as they are less than tenner new anyway and you still need everything else and it will almost certainly come with one

parkesie
    Free Member

what car to what car?

Most arent interchangeable easier just to buy a complete new towbar.

2tyred

Ah, didn’t realise the ball bit was so cheap. I’ll crawl under and have a look to see exactly how it fits.

From a Honda Civic to a don’t-know-what yet, probably a Berlingo or a c-max.

Thanks chaps.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Any modern car will have bolts and [ probably] spacers so it bolts to the chassis – make sure you take everything if you intend to sell

Careful how you take it off as it s relatively heavy and a large lump of metal

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d say no. They are heavily car specific, and who’d buy a used towbar? I wouldn’t, you don’t know what’s happened to it (crashes etc).

Far more useful as a potential attraction for a buyer, imo.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Crashes with a tow bar?
    What you reversed really fast into someone?
    I have a SH one and signs of bending/ impact damage sufficient to weaken that much steel would not be hard to spot.

You also dont know if a SH car has ever crashed molly

molgrips
    Free Member

Crashes with a tow bar?
    What you reversed really fast into someone?

No, someone drove really fast into the back of me. Not particularly uncommon 🙂

The insurance company specced a new towbar, due to the possibility of unseen crash damage. It wasn’t bent, but welds can crack.

Junkyard
    Free Member

And you would see them if they were cracked
    Insurance company in claiming for everything possible shocker

I see your point but it is unlikely you wont be able to see any damage – to the tow bar, which is bolted to your chassis. If it is bent then so is your car and you were stationary and got hit at about 50.

I exaggerate but hopefully you get the point

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I guess there is a market for them. I’ve got a couple of used child car seats and bike helmets too if you like? 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am more interested in your underwear 😉

Liftman

Now now play nice or the mods will be along with the banhammer :mrgreen:

br
    Free Member

From a Honda Civic to a don’t-know-what yet, probably a Berlingo or a c-max.

Also electrics can be a PITA on newer cars; towbar for latest car was going to twice the price I’d paid for the previous car…

stuarty
    Free Member

Erm just buy the same model and year and your old towbar should fit
    Tight wad 😮

molgrips
    Free Member

Re towbar electrics – you can either have the cheap option or the expensive option. The expensive option integrates with your car’s stability programme to give you trailer stability. Might help one day 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

With some cars (incl. IIRC the post-06 Civics), the towbar “frame” replaces a structural chassis part and/or part of the rear bumper system. If you don’t have/can’t source the original part, you shouldn’t really be removing the towbar.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Quick car towbar question’ is closed to new replies.