Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Quick Query for C456 Owners…
  • nuke

Front mech: is top swing okay to use?

Swapping from Alfine to 3×9 and my XT top swing mech looks like it can’t go low enough as the seattube starts to curve into the BB shell. Conventional looks like it would be better but I don’t have one spare.

Northwind

Mine has a topswing dual SLX mech on it, works fine… Though never really paid any attention when I was fitting it, it could be that it’s right on the limit and another mech might struggle.

nuke

Cheers Northwind.

Reckon it will probably be alright…the cage is just slightly higher off the chainrings than I’d normally run it. Bloody got three damn top swing mechs in the spares bin but no convential mechs 👿

Any other owners on here tonight or are you all busy with the next Jimmy vs Realman thread 😉

stinker
    Free Member

I used a top swing on mine mate- all ok. Just watch out for chain suck, it eats the chainstays alive!

andyl
    Free Member

I switched to a conventional style as my seat tube curved out too much for the clamp to sit right and it risks pinching the top surface at the bottom of the clamp opening.

nuke

@andyl Yep, that’s what concerns me. Might try it higher up and see how the shifting is first though.

Just watch out for chain suck, it eats the chainstays alive!

This I’m use to after owning an 853 Inbred 🙁

stinker
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ll be ok matey. I had brand new XT drivetrain throughout, rode Langsett to Slippery Stones last Sunday and it was really muddy in sections, the chain sucked up maybe 3 times. Got home, cleaned it, felt like crying! However, after going 1×10 yesterday and thrashing it about the woods today, I have faith in my C456 again. 🙂

daveh
    Free Member

I use a Saint double and bash, the top swing from my previous bike didn’t go low enough so I purchased a conventional. It wasn’t much better, it still wouldn’t go low enough!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Quick Query for C456 Owners…’ is closed to new replies.