Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Quick brake rotor cleaning question…..
  • devash
    Free Member

If I’m putting in new brake pads and the material of the new pads is different to the old ones (i.e. resin > sintered) do I need to do anything special with the rotors such as clean them with brake cleaner to remove any glazed on material from the old pads?

In the past when changing pads of the same material I’ve just given the rotors a quick wipe with a clean cloth and hot water. I know I’ll have to bed in the new pads but I’m a little unclear about how transferring between pad material affects the cleaning regime.

Waderider
    Free Member

In my experience the only time rotors need cleaned is when you get oil/grease/brake fluid etc. on them,

I don’t really understand why you are asking this question!

devash
    Free Member

The logic was that as disc brakes work best once a fine layer of pad compound is deposited onto the rotor (bedding in), do I need to remove the old layer of compound off my rotors if the new pads I am installing are of a completely different material to the old ones, and if so, what is the best way of removing this deposit / residue.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Isopropyl alchohol wipe should do it !

I would of thought a good hill and a large grope of the lever should cure any leftover residue from old pads.

Ideally though to clean first at a guess… Sorry I couldnt be more specific!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Quick brake rotor cleaning question…..’ is closed to new replies.