Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Quick "Boost" question …..
  • letmetalktomark

I’m currently looking at a new Solaris frame as a possible basis for a new build.

I’m okay(ish) in conceding I will need a new rear wheel or at the very least new hub but will my M8000 groupset (non boost) work with the frame – specifically the cranks?

honourablegeorge

Depending on your hub, you may be able to get an adapter to convert your current hub – would also need a redish of the wheel butthat’s an easy job (easy for a shop, or if you know what you’re doing with wheels) – you can get adapters for Hope, DT and others

IF it’s 1x, a non-boost crank may well be fine, and the chainline might suit a bit better – chainstay clearance can be an issue as the ring will be 3mm close to the frame than a boost crank

steve_b77
    Free Member

The crank should fit, the M8000 boost has a chain line 3mm further out that the non-boost version. It all depends on how close the chain ring is to the chain stay.

The 2x and 1x cranks are identical, it’s only the triple that is different.

On my boosted 29er FS I can run a no-boost crank, but it’s bloody close, the 3mm seems to make all the difference

martymac

Im running slx m665 cranks (triple, with the big ring removed) on a surly karate monkey, which is boost(12×148).
    Standard external bb, with 2 spacers on the drive side.

scotroutes

Ask Cy. Seatstay/chainring clearance may be dependant on frame size.

If you want to run 2x and 3″ tyres then you’ll need Boost cranks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Quick "Boost" question …..’ is closed to new replies.