Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • quick bit of garmin 705 advice please
  • firestarter
    Free Member

just a quick one for you. i want to plan a ride on mapsource and and send to the unit to follow the route . do i send as a course/track or route . i want to be able to follow and be bleeped when off course. thanks mick

DavidB
    Free Member

Courses will bleep when off route.

firestarter
    Free Member

right cheers im just a bit lost on the whole course/route/track ;-(

firestarter
    Free Member

ah i can create a track or a route but not a course god i should really use this thing more to get the hang of it lol

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

a course is a track with the addition of time/speed/HR/cadence data.

a route is joints between waypoints, it will recalculate if you go off the defined route (they are useless off road)

mapsource will convert as a course when you transfer a track to the device i think

firestarter
    Free Member

lol why are they so complicated 😉 all i want to do is plot a road ride and follow it . it cant be too hard . i must really play with it . thanks

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

this may help although it is from the tracklogs help it still explains it a bit

The GPS course is a proprietary Garmin invention which combines a GPS track with a virtual training partner. The course can be navigated in the usual manner whilst a virtual partner reports your progress relative to a target pace. GPS courses should only be used with compatible training devices.

It was Garmin's intention that the virtual partner timings be derived from a previous trip (taken from the device history). This would allow a user to attempt to better their time around a pre-ridden circuit. TrackLogs has extended this idea with technology to auto generate virtual partner timings with no requirement to pre-travel the course.

How does a TrackLogs route translate into a saved GPS course?

To create a GPS course TrackLogs first creates a GPS track. We then feed the elevation profile into a Naismith timing generator to model your performance over the ground. These performance figures are then converted into virtual partner timings to create the GPS course. By including elevation models in our calculations, TrackLogs GPS courses are accurate over any terrain shape.

TrackLogs includes built in Naismith settings for modelling different activities. If you find the timings generated are too fast or too slow then you can personalise these settings or create new rules to match your target pace. TrackLogs can also modify generated timings using track attributes. Each attribute includes a Naismith modifier which derates the performance model for a section of track. By applying these attributes we can emulate a slower target pace over rough ground or introduce interval style work/recovery

firestarter
    Free Member

yeah it does a bit thanks. youd think they could do it so they all saved as the same and you could pick what/how you wanted to use it . oh well more playing required. if just plotted a route on mapsource and shall attempt to follow it

and the try review it in training as its not seemed to be letting me look at ridden courses since i updated the unit but i shall have to check again today

bloody things lol

MarkyMark
    Free Member

I had similiar problems with my Garmin Forerunner 305. I found a very usefule website, gpsies, which will convert all the various file formats

http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do

Another really useful tool/website is bike route toaster. It allows you to create routes on a google maps interface and then directly down load them to your Garmin. It has saved be from buying an expensive mapping software package!

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx

firestarter
    Free Member

oh ive already got the expensive software lol. i will have a look around . all i wanted was plot my ride and click and follow and the little bleep to tell me ive got lost . cant be that hard but you cant plot a course seemingly.

on the plus side ive just managed to reupdate and hopefully this will solve my track loss problem.

cheers all

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

"a route is joints between waypoints, it will recalculate if you go off the defined route (they are useless off road)"

I've used routes loads off-road on my Garmin 705, they work great. They don't recalculate if you go off-course, but they will pick up again when you re-join the route.

If you plot a 'follow road' route by entering in a postcode or something, then yeah, that will recalculate.

I've also transferred tracks from Memory Map and they are my preference now as you can overlay several at once on the map display. Great if you've done a few different routes and won't to use bits of each.

thekingofsweden

I always find if i send a route via mm it transfers fine to the 705 but when you view it as a map or try to follow it it has tried to recalculate using the street nav software and just comes up completely useless sending back and forward all over the place !
    Now if i plan a track it seems to go in fine i spoke to garmin but they didn't really know why the files were not working

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘quick bit of garmin 705 advice please’ is closed to new replies.