Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Quick bit of advice about a road bike
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Hi folks. In the market for a Rd bike and have been offered the following

Apperently its a 2007 Trek 1400 with 10 speed ultegra. Only issue is a tiny dent in top tube…

Seller is looking for £350. Given a total lack of knowledge about roadbikes, i was hoping someone could let me know if its a reasonable deal. ta

cynic-al
    Free Member

I dunno re pricing but the dent won’t be a problem – use it t knock the price down of course.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Dent wouldn’t bother me. Price seems ok given it’s 10 speed Ultegra.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Looks alright to me and probably common sense but check the wear on the drive chain; £350 could quickly become £450 if it needs replacing

crftom
    Free Member

The dents fine, it’s the old ultegra and I would budget for a service chain and cassette, if you got it for £250 it would be a good price

RickyRah
    Free Member

+1

Price seems pretty good for a decent bike kitted out with Ultegra kit.

Those bars are a disgrace.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

The drop on those bars is enormous and possibly unusably big. I would change the bars ant that will allow yout to reposition the levers to the position you want. Don’t expet money off for that though. £300 sounds fair if everything is in good order.

monksie
    Free Member

I’d take that for £350 if I was in the market with that much to spend. If the chain and sprockets are showing wear but still run smoothly, live with it for a while. 2nd hand bars for £12 posted but give them a go anyway.
    soory. I’ve just had a look at the bars. What the hell is going on with them?
    I’d still take it for £350 but it wouldn’t see daylight with those bars.

tpbiker
    Free Member

thanks folks, advice appreciated! whats wrong with the bars? to big??????

jkomo

Decent price.

monksie
    Free Member

They look like they’ve been bent on the ends. They should run much more horizontal. Have a look at the shape of these:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HBPX7075SD/planet_x_anatomic_road_bar_strada_7075
    I prefer traditional shallow drop. They’re more curved where as the anatomical that are fitted and the above linked have the squared off sections.
    I’d buy the bike for £350. If you can get it for less, you’ll have a very good deal.
    Looking at the picture again. Adjusting the handlebars down would get the bar shape right (albeit horrible anatomialc bars) and would put the shifters in the right place. I retract my earlier statement. Apologies

mrmo
    Free Member

Those bars are fine, same shape as my Bontrager Racelites. the angle is odd, but that is a rider preference thing.

Edric64
    Free Member

Bars are fine put the bottoms horizontal and reposition the levers to your liking.I dont know why some are moaning about the bars they are supposed to be that shape for a comfier hand position

monksie
    Free Member

Not comfier for me.

jota180
    Free Member

Have a good look at that rear wheel, I’ve had 2 sets of those Bontys splitting at the eyelets

The bars are the same on my Trek, they’re very comfy

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As Jota mentions, check the rear wheel. bonty’s of that era has an issue with the rim eyelets pulling through, starts as small cracks around each eyelet and eventually pull through. you have to see some fair mileage for that to start happening though. Also check the free hub body as they were prone to packing up early.

Other than that they are a solid bike, check drive train for wear and tear, as also mentioned, if it needs chain/cassette etc then that’s soon another £60-70 on the price.

tpbiker
    Free Member

thanks for the advice folks

finally narrowed it down to the bike above, or a 2010 boardman comp in good nick for 400 quid.

Decisions decisions….

TiRed

It’s a pretty small frame. How big are you. Fit is more important than groupset.
    EDIT: get the Boardman, cracking bike.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Quick bit of advice about a road bike’ is closed to new replies.