Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Quick advice – road cassette from 12-27 to 11-28 on a 105 Short Cage Mech
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Currently have a 12-27 cassette on my 9 speed road bike running a 105 Short Cage Rear mech.

Will the rear mech support a 11-28 cassette?

I know officially the Shimano line is 27T max on a cassette but a lot of google talk about them being conservative on their figures.

Any experience?

thekettle
    Free Member

Works for me for the last 3 years on a compact double (34/50). Needed to screw the B tension screw right in.

mboy
    Free Member

Depends on the model code of the mech…

If it’s a 5600 or older, then no, 27T is the max.

If it’s a 5700 then you can run up to a 30T cog with the “short” (it’s more of a medium) cage mech.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    smurfly13
    Free Member

Its a 5600 (fairly old!) – hence why I know the listed limit is 27T

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yes it will work fine, just wind in the b-tension screw,

ignore the manufactuers

smurfly13
    Free Member

Awesome news – make the hills a tiny bit more manageable!

Cheers

smurfly13
    Free Member

Ordered…. so it better work 😕

smurfly13
    Free Member

Delivered, fitted and runs fine!

B tension screw at highest tension and don’t think I’d want to run more than 28T but certainly works even though spec says 27T Max!

Oh and it’s on a double compact 34\50 should anyone else Google this in the future!!!

timba
    Free Member

I’m running a 12-27T with a 50-34 compact on a 5600 RD, which puts me over the total tooth capacity of 29T (at 31T; 16T FD and 15T RD)
    It doesn’t like changing from the small ring to the large ring while in the larger sprockets (e.g. 2nd or 3rd)
    I didn’t alter the chain when the 50T was put on (way cheaper than 48T for some reason) so that might be a chain length problem, although in theory it didn’t need lengthening

antigee

thekettle – Member
    Works for me for the last 3 years on a compact double (34/50). Needed to screw the B tension screw right in.

think seen it suggested that an option is to reverse the b screw so you get the 2mm or so from head as well (and “obviously” have it as far out as will go securely rather than in)

alanf
    Free Member

It will be fine, I’ve got a 12-30 Ultegra cassette paired to a 105 5600 10 speed short cage mech and it works.
    When I looked into it, it was suggested that the limit that Shimano put on it was probably due to the fact that the 27 was the largest sprocket that was available at the time for it, rather than it being the absolute largest sprocket you could use.

thomthumb
    Free Member

short cage mechs will work on 32T with the B screw all the way in. the shifting on/off the 32 is a bit poor – but as long as you ease up on shifting; it’s fine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Quick advice – road cassette from 12-27 to 11-28 on a 105 Short Cage Mech’ is closed to new replies.