Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Questions to ask at a job interview
  • RustyMac

I have a job interview this afternoon with an oil company that one of my friends works for.
    I know i sould ask a few questions during or after the interview but can’t think of any really good questions to ask.
    Most of the day to day stuff like what training can i hope to recieve etc i kind of know the answer to as my friend has told me about what they do and how they go about.

Thanks

Rusty

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is it possible to sleep my way to the top?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Bit late now, but do some research about the company and ask questions about them. Shows you want to job enough to research the company

richmars

Even if you know the answer, still ask the questions. It’s not for your info, it’s so the interviewers think you’re interested.

yossarian
    Free Member

Who is the job with and what is your role?

I would ask:

What are the career opportunities in your potential position and is there a clearly defined path?

What is the accident/incident record like in your potential department and how does this compare to company/industry standards (they usually like people who are proactive about safety – and their answer should also give you an indication of how much they give a crap)

RustyMac

i still have time this afternoon to do some further research, my plan was to do do some final researching closer to the interview so there is less chance of me forgetting.

RustyMac

Roll is an electrial engineering roll with a company that surveays safty critical systems in the oil and gas industry

hels
    Free Member

There will likely be an HR bod in the room so ask them something they can answer, something the person you will be working with something they can answer and something technical.

donsimon
    Free Member

As our cheesey footed friend says, questions that are relevant to the company, industry and the position.
    Without knowing the position, it’s a bit difficult to give advice. Think of the interview as a two way process, they are interviewing you to see if you’ll fit the company and you are interviewing them to see if they are good enough for you.
    Questions about the corporate culture.
    How they would deal with a crisis.
    Totally dependant on the role though.

samuri
    Free Member

Training opportunites.
    Career progression.
    How much will you be paying me?

philconsequence
    Free Member

“where did you get that FANTASTIC tie?!”

failing that:

“do you have any questions?”
    “no sorry, i’m too busy swimming in the deep crystal whirlpools of your eyes, you’re… just… so… beautiful.”

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ask a question that shows that you’re really thinking about actually doing the job. My work is about forecasting and the like, if I start to disucss and identify key cost or revenue drivers with my interviewer the job is 90% mine.

It puts the interviewer in a position of thinking about your performing the job in a very positive way.

RustyMac

cheers for the laugh phil

philconsequence
    Free Member

worked for me 😉

another good one is:

“whats the best way to report my colleagues for not working as hard as me?”

samuri
    Free Member

and of course..
    “How many sick days can I take in a year?”

BigJohn

“how do you spell role?”

RustyMac

still thinking of breakfast obviously oops

surfer
    Free Member

What are the most immediate projects and challenges for the successful applicant?

RustyMac

nice one surfer, that is a good question

Junkyard
    Free Member

is stw blocked on the internet…. Gee guys all posting at work and you forgot the obvious

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Questions to ask at a job interview’ is closed to new replies.