Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • questions for the front fat tyre riders (larry, endo type)
  • firestarter
    Free Member

what sort of riding have you been doing with the big tyre up front ? and what it like for normal riding compared to a standard set up ? oh and what sort of tyre / rim are you running on the back (and what front rim hub combo?)

oh and last bit, ive seen forks for offset and non offset bit confused with that bit ?? and would the 135mm enabler or the 100mm one be a better bet for a set up with a normal (karate monkey frame) which is never going to need the big wheel as a swap out for the rear i you get what i mean.

im thinking i like this 😉

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Surely that's just a 'look at me, look at me! different for the sake of being different aren't I cool nichewankfest' bike? no one actually rides them, they sit in the garage and make occasioinal forays over to the internet via te medium of .jpeg.

Horrible horrible things.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Mieeow…..I think the people who have them are those who actually need mountain bikes to get around.

bigyinn
    Free Member

urgh!

tazzymtb

I suppose the benefit is when all the snow falls like it did last year and lots of trail center fat boys in body armour sat around and sulked because they couldn't go out to play, the lads with the monster tyres were still riding and having a laugh. I think they look erm……"interesting" but to have in a collection of bikes for a specific use they're tops

singlespeedstu

paulrockliffe – Member

Surely that's just a 'look at me, look at me! different for the sake of being different aren't I cool nichewankfest' bike?

No it's just a bike. Nothing to get all over excited about. 😉

coastkid
    Free Member

paulrockliffe – Member

Surely that's just a 'look at me, look at me! different for the sake of being different aren't I cool nichewankfest' bike? no one actually rides them, they sit in the garage and make occasioinal forays over to the internet via te medium of .jpeg.

Horrible horrible things.

get on a train to Edinburgh then ride down to East Lothian and i will take you for a cycle with mine, all you have to do is try to keep up 😆 er sitting about? 2800 miles in less than 2 years enough riding? 😮

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don't see how a bike with a 2.4" rear tyre can work on snow, no matter how big the front tyre, Shirley that's where you want the wider tyre. Happy to be proved wrong though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

speak to paul78 (paul errington) who did the arrowhead 135 on 2.5s due to sponsor restrictions on his kit

coastkid
    Free Member

depends on the snow type says everyone on US fatbike forum who has done it in Alaska?Mn area,
    i know on some snow my regular mtb was better than the pugsley but strangely it really flew on hardpacked ungritted roads here last winter, faster than my normal bikes,wierd!, and alot of snow riding done out there is on packed down snow machine trails,
    definitly for sand a rear fatty is way better, 😮

hehe this forum has got fat fever 😮

trail_rat
    Free Member

"hehe this forum has got fat fever "

and its your fault 😉 how do i explain this to the missus – i just broke the next about my intentions to build/buy a td-1 as soon as (or rather while) im in africa ….

epicyclo

The snow thing is a bonus.

To me the great thing about the high flotation tyres is the ability to ride on boggy tracks without tearing them up. There's plenty riding up here in the highlands where the going is very soft.

That's why I am building one up, and if we get another global warming winter like the last one, even better 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I ride mine in all conditions, most of the time (except when I put on my thin front wheel, which is rarely). Why restrict yourself to a measly 2.55" front tyre – when you can have a monster tyre instead?

As to what fork you should use……. depends on the frame – I believe the Enabler is for suspension corrected frames? Presumably use the Surly fork for on a Surly frame.

Paurockliffe – your post doesn't make sense – If they're attention seeking, how come they're staying at home in the garage?

coastkid
    Free Member

Areas like the Pentlands, Lammermuirs and Cheviots around here which are fragile peat and get real wet are ideal for fatbikes for less damage, on sand the tyre print is less than a human footprint!, one up on the ramblers 😮

compare the reg bike tread and foot print

firestarter
    Free Member

i should just do this to my turner 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘questions for the front fat tyre riders (larry, endo type)’ is closed to new replies.