Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Questions for Hope T-Rex users…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Like the idea of the T-Rex, have had a quick go on a bike with one, and can confirm that I hate the forced jump from 19-15 tooth cogs by emitting the 17T.

You can buy a 16T Dura-Ace 7900 (10spd) cog on it’s own, without having to buy the rest of the cassette. RRP is an almost reasonable £8.99. Has anybody tried junking their 17 and 15T cogs and fitting a 16T in place on a T-Rex?

I know one up components offer this on their version, but they’re in the states, and I get trade discount on Hope too, so if makes sense to keep it British.

Whilst we’re at it, how well does an XT medium cage clutch mech shift on a T-Rex adapted cassette? Will the B- Tension screw go in far enough?

stevede
    Free Member

I took my 40t hope T. rex off due to hating the 19-15 jump but recently decided to give it another go with a 16t in place of the 15 and 17 and have found it far easier to tolerate, it was still noticeable at first on home turf (dh trails where I’m used to being in certain gears) but I very quickly got used to it, far more subtle and smooth than the awful 19-15 jump. I installed the rad cage to my med cage slx at the same time so no need for b tension adjustments. Really happy with the outcome after initially thinking I’d wasted my money on the T. rex.

teethgrinder

I use a 16t from an old 9spd cassette and its spot on.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chris276
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a 42 from one up, expected a long wait, arrived in two days, guessing they shipped a load over here and have a English distributor.
    Hoping to get it fitted this weekend.

colournoise

I kept the 17 and ditched the 19.

pedlad

I’m about to build up mine and interested in thoughts that the big jump is an issue. I’ve got the rad cage as everyone seemed to say it made the shifting flawless. Trouble is I’ve chosen 1×10 rather than 1×11 partly to keep a lid on both initial build costs and ongoing replacement cassette costs….if you have to replace cassette plus hope T. Rex plus a separate 16 tooth as well it starts to add up…….

Does everyone hate that missing ratio or are some finding it ok?

smatkins1
    Free Member

I had to put the 17t back in because that was the gear I used the most on the singletrack around me. I noticed straight away when it wasn’t there. I’ve taken 15t out instead which is better from a general riding point of view, but the drop onto the 11t final gear is horrendous!

dickie
    Free Member

I just gone 42t & 16t today & the issue is chain slip in the 3-4 smallest sprockets.
    I suspect its due to lack of chain wrap due to excessive B screw tension.
    I need to experiment further & wonder if the RAD cage conversion will solve it.
    (see other thread too)

mboy
    Free Member

I had to put the 17t back in because that was the gear I used the most on the singletrack around me. I noticed straight away when it wasn’t there. I’ve taken 15t out instead which is better from a general riding point of view, but the drop onto the 11t final gear is horrendous!

If you’ve taken the 15T out, you’ve still got the 13T before the 11T. Sure, 17-13 is a nasty jump too, could get a 14T cog in there instead of both the 15 and the 13 possibly?

Interesting, could be an idea. Less noticable gap I suppose. Certainly be worth investigating an 18T cog too instead of both the 17 and 19 in there for more manageable ratios.

Just checked and you can’t be using an XT or SLX cassette though. Are you using a SRAM cassette?

Is there a UK importer for the Oneup RAD cage do you know?

mboy
    Free Member

I’m about to build up mine and interested in thoughts that the big jump is an issue. I’ve got the rad cage as everyone seemed to say it made the shifting flawless. Trouble is I’ve chosen 1×10 rather than 1×11 partly to keep a lid on both initial build costs and ongoing replacement cassette costs….if you have to replace cassette plus hope T. Rex plus a separate 16 tooth as well it starts to add up…….

Also starting to wonder if I shouldn’t just buy into SRAM 1×11, given that my rear hub will take an XD Driver…

bruneep

Is there a UK importer for the Oneup RAD cage do you know?

Its posted from within UK, mine arrived within 2 days think it was a surrey postmark

stevede
    Free Member

Would love SRAM 1×11 but my mate isn’t getting great life out of his cassettes despite regular chain replacements and his mech struggles when it gets muddy with the up shifts, and as a serial mech killer I just can’t afford to run 1×11, £200 for a cassette is ridiculous. I’ll probably make the switch to 1×11 in a year or so when shimano trickle their stuff down to xt/slx level, until then I’ll be bodging the 10 speed option. 11-40 is plenty for me personally, the ideal solution would be an 11-40 10 speed cassette but shimano won’t be doing one of those!

schmiken

Try removing the 17 and 19T sprockets and replace with an 18. Works perfectly well!

colournoise

mboy

Interesting, could be an idea. Less noticable gap I suppose. Certainly be worth investigating an 18T cog too instead of both the 17 and 19 in there for more manageable ratios.

Just checked and you can’t be using an XT or SLX cassette though. Are you using a SRAM cassette?

Yeah, SRAM on my setup. I use the 17 all the time (34t chainring) so couldn’t bear to lose it. Figured ditching the 19 instead would give me a gap, but that gap would be like a split between a ‘high range’ and ‘low range’ set of ratios – one for general riding and one for climbing. Seems to be working OK so far.

mboy
    Free Member

Right…

Have a 30T Gamut Narrow/Wide ring, a Hope T-Rex, a 16T Dura Ace cog and an almost new XT 11-36 cassette to go with it. Oh, and some new (to me) cranks too.

Busy all day tomorrow, but hopefully Friday or Saturday I should have enough time to finally go 1×10 on my Sync!

winrya
    Free Member

I used an xt 10 speed 16t from rose bikes for £3.23. Was buying other items so the delivery cost wasn’t an issue. I found the jump a massive issue and constantly found myself wanting a different gear. The 16t has really smoothed things out, I don’t notice any jump, even when riding on the road.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-xt-cs-m771-10-speed-16-tooth-replacement-sprocket/aid:574089

tymbian
    Free Member

What are my options on a SRAM PG1030 11-36?
    11 – 42 swapping out the 17 for a 16?

matther01
    Free Member

Slight highjack – but does anyone know if you can use a CS7900 16t with a XT cassette?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Questions for Hope T-Rex users…’ is closed to new replies.