Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Questions about TT bikes + show me yours.
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Whilst watching the TdF TT on Saturday with Mrs MM she was asking about what sort of bikes they were. The conversation moved onto me wanting to build one as a winter project ready for next season and she seemed okay with that.

So for all you TT riders, what size frame did you go for in comparison to your road bikes. I ride a 54cm road bike and when set up it TT mode I move the saddle forward around 15mm so I guess I need an ETT of around 520mm to 540mm? What else do I need to look for when sizing one?

Frame wise I’ve started looking at the Planet X exorcet, Riddle, Dolan and the Chinese Carbonzone ones. Anyone have any experience of these? Ideally I’d like a Spesh Transition.

Feel free to post pictures of yours too. 😀

BristolPablo
    Free Member

as TT bikes generally have a shorter top tube to pitch you further forwards and allow a more comfortbale aero position, its sometimes very difficult to draw a direct comparison between road bike sizing and TT sizing. I would guesstimate the position of your hands, when using aero bars, is greater than 15cm further forwards from the bars so you may be a bit hunched up just using the seat position changes though its what i do and a good baseline. most TT bikes have a much lower front end these days and Cadel Evans in particular rides with stem level with the top tube (though the BMC Time Machine is a rather special bike!)

have a look on http://www.timetrillingforum.co.uk as they have a good classifieds page. I thought the Transition was a bit more triathlon-centric though and the geo is slighlty more relaxed. the Dallkia F1 is a nice TT frame for the money if you can find one, bery similar to the Exocet or you can pick up a nice hand built horizontal top tube steel frame fairly cheap.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

he Dalkiia F1 is a nice TT frame for the money if you can find one

A guy in my club had one and they’re very nice. Very hard to find though.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

I had similar issues as you did working out what size frame to get – and even then still went through three stems to get the fit spot on! I ended up with a bar to saddle distance about 50mm shorter than my road bike. You should be able to get a rough idea from looking at your current setup, working on the theoretical bar placement to get your upper arms vertical when you’re on the tri bars.

I went directly to GoToBike in China although some of the deals that PX do are rather stunning (I didn’t go with PX as their bikes only came with tubs rather than clinchers, but that could have changed now).

You can read more about it over here:

http://www.spanner.org.uk/2011/05/gallery-ws01-carbon-time-trial-frame-and-wheels-from-gotobike/

IainGillam
    Free Member

What TT frame to get is highly dependant on your body shape; I’d recommend getting a fit first. I got a fit at Bike Science Bristol. Went in with a list of frames I liked the look of, spent an hour or so messing around on the jig and went away with a few options that would fit, bought one sans saddle and stem took it back and got fitted to the bike. All in all it was the best cash I spent on the bike. I wouldn’t view it ad a “final” fit though and I’ve since messed about with the front end, lowering it and making it narrower but that’s part of the fun. No need to be afraid of tubs either and they allow access to many more 2nd hand wheels for a lower budget.

Final few tips, try an Adamo or a cobb saddle – allowed me to get much lower comfortably, get a disc wheel or a disc cover – I never race without one it is ALWAYS faster (provided you have a frame with a wheel cut-out like almost all TT frames) unless the TT course is a hill climb.

Iain

Quick pic – don’t have one without me on it!

jimthelad
    Free Member

I got into TT from an early age and just used my road bike with clip on bars. Once I out grew that bike for road riding, I used it for TT because it was much smaller that my road bike. After a 4 year break I’ve decided to get back into it and built up a frame I was given several years ago. The frame is a 55/55 and I’m 5’11. He had it built by Ribble in the mid ’90s to replicate Chris Boardmans record setting Cougar.

brant
    Free Member

I didn’t go with PX as their bikes only came with tubs rather than clinchers

Why would you prefer clinchers over tubs for a TT bike?

fasthaggis

Old School 🙂

m1kea
    Free Member

Fast Haggis

That certainly is old school 8)

My recently ‘retired’ Omega Ti Stealth

Not done any proper pics of the new wagon yet so don’t moan about photo rules 😛

And some fat twunt trying to ride it

As far as sizing goes, both of these are basically the same size as my other road bikes. The seat angle is steeper and I have fettled with stem lengths.

The 55 tooth chain ring needs a bit of winding up though that’s nothing compared to NikB’s 77 tooth CF dustbin lid as captured here in 2009.

Finally, there are three world class two wheeler peeps in these photos of our memorial trip to Italy back in March. I’ll be VERY impressed if anyone spots all three.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

…Iain’s picture above shows the sort of position you should be aiming for – as he says a bike fit is one of the best ways of getting your bike size sorted.

+1 for an Adamo saddle too – perfect for a TT position but rather lacking in padding when you sit up!

Brant – only because I wouldn’t feel confident being able to do a roadside repair/replace of a tub having never run them before – it’s for tri rather than pure tt use so self-sufficiency was a big factor.

m1kea
    Free Member

A fellow tester posted some snaps from last year’s CTT National 10 mile champs

Merak

Heres’s mine. And no, its not the ladies version. 😉

H
    Free Member

Still not cracked 20:00 yet for a 10 but there is always next year!

If you are getting a new TT bike bear in mind that lower doesnt always mean faster!

trail_rat
    Free Member

h yours looks ” too” short your very hunched up /arched in that photo you might find those second to get sub 20 in that Iains got a good fit though looking at his photo.

Smee has my tt bike atm.

m1kea
    Free Member

H – Member

Still not cracked 20:00 yet for a 10 but there is always next year!

If you are getting a new TT bike bear in mind that lower doesnt always mean faster!

Good to see another HTC Plasma out there.

I also wouldn’t say your position necessarily look cramped. Here’s my mate Nick and his

H
    Free Member

ahh thats even the same size frame! Is that Nick Dwyer? Think I recognise him from the wind tunnel.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Why would you prefer clinchers over tubs for a TT bike?

You’d have to ask Tony Martin

m1kea
    Free Member

H – Member

ahh thats even the same size frame! Is that Nick Dwyer? Think I recognise him from the wind tunnel.

That is indeed Mr Flyer. And seeing as you know (of) him, molgrips and njee weren’t convinced about my comments in the ’bio pace’ cranks thread. Care to comment?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Questions about TT bikes + show me yours.’ is closed to new replies.