Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Question to the Parents of STW- Drive abroad with a
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

we drove round france for a month when my daughter was 1, worked well. Few tips…

1. make sure the a/c is working properly.

2. Plan driving to coincide with the childs day time sleeping.

3. Minimise trying to do massive distances in a single day

4. be sure to comply with the french laws on having a high viz jacket and warning triangle handy.

hora
    Free Member

They fly
    I drive

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Well thats going to cost you twice as much then.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Why not go on holiday closer to home? The British economy could do with it. Filey is nice apparently.

hora
    Free Member

Why not go on holiday closer to home? The British economy could do with it. Filey is nice apparently.

Its friends that we have known since 1994/Uni and we always spend at least one holiday a year with them.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

my lad was breast feed. he wanted feeding EVERY two hours then changing so used to drive for one hour stints. or you can do what we do for long car drive leave in the middle of the night theres no traffic and the kid has more chance of staying asleep.
    on the over hand hes two know and love going in the camper van.

GW
    Free Member

done it with a 3month old in a big van but also took a mate and bikes.

I drove any long journeys at night so she slept right through. What exactly's so bad about little uns sleeping in the car seat for a night once in a while?

big_scot_nanny

Hora, it depends almost entirely on the baby. We've done long journeys with ours, and as everyone says, as long as you take it at a relaxed pace, stop when the wee one needs to, it can be awonderful family experience. If you can, plan to stop every 2-3hrs unless babs is fast asleep, then you can get out as a fmaily and enjoy playing, walking, have snack under a tree by a river… all of these things can make the journey unstressful and a wonderful 'family only' experience.

However, it does depend on the kid.

My boy, now 4 1/2, is a dream. From 6 weeks old he travelled great, slept through the night (seruiously, 12hrs, still does always has) and was very transportable. We could drive anywhere and he was happy just being in the car (still is!). Did overnighters and then scooped him into a proper bed when we arrived, or long distances with breaks during the day.

However, our daughter (now 2)… let's just say that I am not looking forward to teenage years. Think we'll give her a ton of cash and tell her not to come back until she's married. she is still not great in the car, although better, but at 6 months we could do max 30mins then she would start screaming or vomitting or both. Hideous. She is of course, a complete daddies girl and has me wrapped around her little finger. Love them both to bits!

Kev

dazh

…screaming or vomitting or both

Ah yes, the joyous experience of having the inside of your car splattered with half digested baby formula!

I've done Manc to Alps a couple of times with babies and toddlers. Best tip I can give is to drive at night. And you can drug them with Medised if they won't sleep 🙂

GW
    Free Member

Hora, it depends almost entirely on the parents

fixed that for ya 😉

ourmaninthenorth

My aunt is married to a Greek Cypriot. His borther was getting married in Nicosia in 1979. I was not quite 2 years old, and my sister not yet 1.

My father, and my (Cypriot) uncle drove to Cyprus, getting lost several times on the way, including in communist Yugoslavia.

My morther took me and my sister on the plane. We sat on the runway at Heathrow for 5 hours while the air traffic controllers were on strike. We go off the plane. We got back on. By the time we arrived in Cyprus, the hotel had given away our hotel room (my father, still nowehere to be seen) and we had nowehere to stay in the middle of the night.

If you're happy for this scenario to play out,

You drive, they fly.

😀

clubber
    Free Member

GW – Member

I did wonder just how long it'd take for someone to post just that 🙄

GW
    Free Member

3hours – says so at the top ^^

😛

big_scot_nanny

GW – Member

fixed that for ya

LOL 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Question to the Parents of STW- Drive abroad with a’ is closed to new replies.