Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Question to the Parents of STW- Drive abroad with a
  • hora
    Free Member

Summer holiday- driving through France to Germany with a <6month old baby.

Any experiences and a good idea?

Harry_the_Spider

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Are you going to fit all of the kit in the back of your Puma?

hora
    Free Member

I wouldn't be taking a bike :bird: !

nickc

yeah, why not?

clubber
    Free Member

Depends on the baby. Some will be fine. Some would scream the whole way.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes sounds like a great idea we did it it was very easy and an enjoyable and relaxing time was had by all.
    6 months old babies love car journeys and the gentle movement soothes them to a blissfull state for up to 16 hours at a time.

Enjoy yourself

lodious
    Free Member

We did the eurocamp holidays on france / franco swiss border when our kids were young. It was hard work, but we enjoyed it. Sat Nav would have helped when we got lost in Paris and my 6 month old daughter filled up her car seat with dihorrea (had to carry her through motorway services dripping poo all over the floor!), but other than that, it was hard work and great fun.

Mister-P
    Free Member

We were planning on taking our daughter to the south of France in the summer but as she only has a two hour tolerence of car journeys it would take a while to get there. However as Clubber says all babies are different.

hora
    Free Member

I'll prime our mates play it by ear. Haven't seen them for 2yrs 🙁

ski
    Free Member

We had one of each, one would sleep and play, loved to watch the world go by as we drove, the other just wanted to escape her car seat and scream, so I guess it depends on the little one 😉

clubber
    Free Member

6 months old babies love car journeys and the gentle movement soothes them to a blissfull state for up to 16 hours at a time.

Not all do! Ours certainly didn't… Two hours was fine. Much more pretty awful but then admittedly he's never been the type of baby to sit still for more than a few minutes…

As I said, it depends on the baby.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Done it to the south of france and it does depend on the baby but ours were easy. A quick word of warning if yo find that yours can only tollerate one type of wipe then take 3 times as many as you think you will nedd as you may not be able to find them. This goes for other stuff to hence why you end up with so much crap when going on holiday with a small baby.

teagirl
    Free Member

Have you got air-con, it may get sticky if not which means unhappy baby. Otherwise should be ok, just stop when the screaming stops, baby will sleep lots 😀 take plenty of food and snacks. Ceebeebies cd's etc, great time for family silliness I'd say!

scaredypants

enough window shades and a/c if it's hot

should be fine but be prepared for lots/long stops if it goes badly – don't set yourself tight deadlines for getting back to the ferry/tunnel etc

vinnyeh

You'll be fine, we spent 3 months travelling with our oldest-she was 4 month olds when we left. They'll spend a lot of time asleep in the car, if you're lucky, but be prepared for regular stops, when they want. Half an hour of baby screaming while you're motorway driving and looking for a place to stop can be hell though.
    If they're on formula milk, best to take it with you if they're fussy, taste and availability can vary country to country. One of the modern travel cots, that look like a little tent are good, it gives them continuity of their nighttime sleeping environment. A blender for food, if they're starting to eat. Loads of clothes- there will be carsickness!
    Oh, and baby's first passport is quite cool- the photo will bear no resemblance to them in 6 months time.

When's it due Hora?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Clearly I was being sarcastic we could all have joined in and he would have booked it.

At 6 mths ours were still breast feeding every 3-4 hours and then needed a nappy change so it once took us 7 hours to do 200 miles as we had to stop 3 times for over an hour each.

I would not even consider it with a 6 mth old personally but as Hora has no children we could have tricked him….What did you think I was doing STW?

hora
    Free Member

At the 38th week now. So from anytime now…

Harry_the_Spider

Re Junkyard's comment.

Ahhh… in that case do it! It'll be a piece of piss.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

done it loads, but our 2 girls used to long trips in car, as rellees in Scotland.

Think about a lie down car seat, like a Jane MAtrix type as not good for little 'uns to sit up for long periods seemingly.

Second window blinds or tints (sometimes dodgy abroad) blinds a safer bet.

Aircon is a must too to keep you all sane

Samsonite baby pod tent is what we used, packed really small and looker really comfy too

Good luck Hora

hora
    Free Member

i'm only going for Schnitzel and sour Kraut :mrgreen:

clubber
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

😳 Dammit!

I take it all back. Hora, it'll be a doddle.

mugsys_m8

2nd Valley daddy:
    Car bed all the way. Otherwise theoretically you'll have to stop every 2 hrs due to the weight on their spine.

Done it several times Sheffield to Lyon and vice versa. No problems. And other similarly long journeys. AC would really help and sun blinds essential.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

We found the parcel shelf an excelent baby changing table for the times (and they will be plenty) that you have to stop and the only services are the basic ones.

freddyg
    Free Member

why not fly?

Travis

not done a long journey in a car, but our 3 month old loves being in his car seat (it also doubles part of the pram) so he's used to spending long times in it.
    might be worth considering that, if you haven't got a pram sorted

Mister-P
    Free Member

A baby on a plane is interesting. Ours was only 3 months old and she screamed her head off in Portugal when we were waiting for take off to come home. It was about 27 degrees on the plane which was far too hot for her. As soon as the air con came on she was fine. It was the accusing looks from the other passengers I liked 😆

freddyg
    Free Member

We took MasterG and MissG on a plane (to Sardinia) when they were about 3years and 18months old respectively. MasterG absolutely loved the take off – but asked to get off after 5 minutes. MissG was great – slept the whole way.

As for attempting a car journey to Germany with them (now aged 4 and 2.5)? Not without an overnight stop and plenty of breaks on the way.

hora
    Free Member

why not fly?

Me and flying really don't mix.

freddyg
    Free Member

hora – Member

Me and flying really don't mix.

Let the pilot do it then? 😉

… seriously, that's a bummer. A couple friends of ours have the same problem. She has to basically tranquillise her husband to get him on a plane. They don't bother any more and go to Cornwall every year instead. 😐

clubber
    Free Member

You drive, they fly.

Junkyard
    Free Member

chicken sounds and sniggering like we are back in the playground

is this man your hero?

hora
    Free Member

You drive, they fly.

Never thought of that. I'll put that to her.

Been through this a thousand times- I can fly if its a prop plane, or small jet etc. Anything bigger and Im convinced its at the end of its fatigue/shelf life. Dont ask- its irrational I know.

ianv
    Free Member

Its doable but depends on the kid. First time we went to the South of France we had to take two days and have the music on VERY loud to escape the noise from the back seat.

After the first nightmare though it was easy.

Tiger6791

Why not??

We've done it every year since our little 'un was a few months old, we're doing it again this year and this time we'll have a 2 month old aswell. No 1 has got older though obviously.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you follow current guidelines* on length of time they should be in car seats then you shouldn't try it (recommendation is 2 hours max). Of course many people have done it without ill effects on their children, but it is all to do with keeping them laid flat as much as possible so spines develop properly.

*Not necessarily correct

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I'm sure those guidelines don't apply to a one-off journey or two, just don't do it every other day of the week.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I'm sure those guidelines don't apply to a one-off journey or two, just don't do it every other day of the week.

Well yes, a child's spine isn't going to dissolve because of one journey, but it is what *they* say.

Tiger6791

The drive does take longer, it's not just a blast down the motorways, peage and autobahns. I remember we stopped every few hours for breaks, feeds, etc. Every few hours nicely fits with a casual journey time. Just don't go and be in a rush.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Honestly Hora – you're going to have no idea what hits you in a few weeks time. And its not how you'll cope, its what spending hours upon hours stuck in a car seat will do for the little un. Its reccomended they don't spend more than 2 hours at a time in a car seat with a good rest inbetween so theoretically, its possible but in reality, it'll probably take you a week to get there and week to get back!

mugsys_m8

C A R B E D + R E L A X E D P A R E N T S

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Question to the Parents of STW- Drive abroad with a’ is closed to new replies.